Subject: [manet] hierarchical routing and switching clusters

From: Sophia FP <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 06:31:22 -0700 (PDT)

I am interested in a hierarchical routing protocol for MANETS.
Nodes should be statically partitioned in mobile backbone nodes and simple mobile nodes. Simple mobile nodes can be communicating together through multiple hops, and at the same time form clusters around mobile backbone nodes, to utilize extra resources through backbone. The characteristic I have difficulty finding in already proposed schemes is the possibility that simple mobile nodes can switch clusters.

Do you know if there already exists a solution for this problem or if this seems to  you like an interesting issue to do research on?

Thank you very much in advance

---------------------------------
Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.
 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Izhak Rubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 07:59:26 -0700

Hi:

Over the last several years, we have been developing the Mobile Backbone
Network (MBN) architecture for mobile ad hoc wireless networks.  Our
developments include:

1.  Topology synthesis algorithms for synthesizing dynamically in a
distributed and highly scalable manner a mobile backbone.  The
backbone is connected and highly robust.  Mobile nodes associate
with a selected backbone node.  Higher local connectivity is
maintained.  The algorithms are distributed and consider only a
certain class of nodes (Backbone Capable Nodes, BCNs, and NOT Regular
Nodes, RNs) as candidates for acting as BNs (Backbone Nodes), and is thus
very different from many clustering and CDS (connected dominated set)
construction algorithms.  We have also introduced such algorithms
for systems in which BCNs may employ multiple radio modules.
References:  please see my papers with Laura Ju in conference
proceedings and journals.

2.  MBN based QoS routing algorithms (MBNR), using congestion and
flow admission control (MBNR-FC) to ensure QoS behavior; also distance
aware version (MBNR-FC/DA), under which shorter range flows use global
multi hop routes, while longer distance flows discover routes through the
backbone network; an optimal distance threshold is calculated
analytically and /or dynamically through status monitoring.  Also we
have developed MBNR-PS schemes that are power saving (energy aware)
oriented, which keep backbone nodes awake while turning on other nodes on
demand.  References:  please see my papers with Xiaolong Huang
in conference proceedings and journals.  Please see also our
extensive performance comparisons with flat hierarchy
operations.

3.  MBN based multicating schemes, which employ the mobile backbone
to multicast messages.  They have been compared with flat hierarchy
schemes such as ODMRP.  Please see my papers with Jeffrey
Tan.

4.  Robust routing mechanisms that ensure the selection of routes
that are robust under mobility to ensure a high probability of completing
a transactions.  See my papers with Runhe Zhang.

Under our routing schemes, mobile nodes re-associate with a selected
backbone node whose beacons (periodically issued hello messages) they
hear.

Best regards,

Izhak

Professor Izhak Rubin

Electrical Engineering Department

UCLA

[email-masked]

At 06:31 AM 5/16/2007, Sophia FP wrote:

I am interested in a
hierarchical routing protocol for MANETS.

Nodes should be statically partitioned in mobile backbone nodes and
simple mobile nodes. Simple mobile nodes can be communicating together
through multiple hops, and at the same time form clusters around mobile
backbone nodes, to utilize extra resources through backbone. The
characteristic I have difficulty finding in already proposed schemes is
the possibility that simple mobile nodes can switch clusters.

Do you know if there already exists a solution for this problem or if
this seems to  you like an interesting issue to do research
on?

manet mailing list

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 19:54:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Sophia
we have done work on performance comparison among leading algorithms for
hierarchical organization

-S. Basagni, M. Mastrogiovanni, A. Panconesi, C. Petrioli
Localized Protocols for Ad Hoc Clustering and Backbone Formation: A
Performance Comparison. IEEE Transaction on Parallel and Distributed
Systems, special issue on Localized communication and topology protocols
for ad hoc networks, May 2006.

Our evaluation is based on ns2 simulations. The framework is available for
the community to use at
http://reti.dsi.uniroma1.it/eng/mastrogiovanni/software/index.php
It includes the implementation of several among the best clustering
protocols.
Best Regards,
Chiara Petrioli

> Nodes should be statically partitioned in mobile backbone nodes and simple
> mobile nodes. Simple mobile nodes can be communicating together through
> multiple hops, and at the same time form clusters around mobile backbone
> nodes, to utilize extra resources through backbone. The characteristic I
> have difficulty finding in already proposed schemes is the possibility
> that simple mobile nodes can switch clusters.
>
> Do you know if there already exists a solution for this problem or if this
> seems to  you like an interesting issue to do research on?
>
>  Try the free Yahoo! Mail
> Beta._______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]

-- 
Dr. Chiara Petrioli, PhD
Associate Professor
Computer Science Department
Rome University "La Sapienza"
Via Salaria 113 -00198 Roma Italy
E-mail: [email-masked]