Subject: [manet] SMF ID Way Forward

From: "Joe Macker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:32:06 -0400

Since we have lively debates on hashing vs. explicit DPDs here is the way
forward we have come up with.

------------------------
Here is my proposal for a way forward. The proposal is to include direct
hashing support and design discussion.  We have ideas for short header
options to support this as well. I think we can make an upgrade to SMF to
support a hashing DPD approach and move to EXP submission consideration
within a few months.

I want it to be clear I WANT to update the specification to support hashing
more directly (it reads very vague right now) even thought this slows things
down I am ok with that because it makes sense. Also, although it presently
supports hashing in concept the language in the spec is overly negative in
this regard. We should remove this and also have a method to support it more
directly. At the same time, we plan to preserve explicit DPD specification
and operation.  Nothing wrong with that for EXP in my opinion. 
------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet