Subject: [manet] Implementation of ad-hoc routing protocols in Linux

From: "Ron Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 22:58:23 +0200

Hi all,

I would like to write a survey about currently available implementations of
ad-hoc routing protocols in Linux and compare them with each other.
Could you please let me know what implementations are currently
available?

Thanks,
Ron

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: elektra <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 00:10:54 +0200

Apart from academic research OLSR from olsr.org is the most widespread ATM in 
practise, it runs on Linux, Open-WRT capable devices, any version of BSD and 
Mac-OSX, even Microsoft Windows (98 or newer). Make sure to use the 
configuration file olsrd.conf.default.lq-fisheye in the "files" subdirectory 
if you want to use the network for real-life applications. This will load and 
utilize the Freifunk extensions. Freifunk-OLSR is not RFC3626 compliant, but 
it works (even with 600 low-cost boxes and thousands of actual users 
stressing the meshes in Berlin, Leipzig...) Some people reinvented/copied  
some of the Freifunk improvements to RFC3626 and named the whole thing 
RA-OLSR (Radio-Aware OLSR). I was told it shall become the second routing 
protocol of choice in 802.11s Note that there are several implementations of 
RFC3626.

B.A.T.M.A.N. is relatively new and is developed by community network activists 
from Freifunk in Germany. It is intended to replace Freifunk-OLSR in 
community meshes. There are several versions for Layer 2.5 and 3, Linux only. 
You can get it at open-mesh.net.

Mobilemesh is very,  very old. And I know nobody that is actually using it 
anymore. Works also on Windows.

AODV has received a lot of attention - you'll find several implementations for 
Linux (as kernel module as well as user space programs). Nobody I know is 
actually using it for real life projects, but it shall become the preferred 
protocol in 802.11s. I doubt it will do anything useful outside of 
simulations. Everybody I know that has tried it is now using Freifunk-OLSR or 
B.A.T.M.A.N.

SRCRR has been developed at MIT Roofnet and is written in Click (interpreted 
routing language). The click modular router (the interpreter) works on Linux, 
but I guess it may be slow / unsuitable for small embedded routers. It comes 
with Meraki routers, however. SRCRR is a modifikation of DSR using linkstate 
informations.

BABEL is working on Linux and Mac-OSX. According to Juliusz: "It is a 
loop-avoiding distance-vector routing protocol roughly based on HSDV and 
AODV, but with provisions for link cost estimation and redistribution of 
routes from other routing protocols." IPv6 only.

LUNAR is also working on Layer 2.5

And there are probably more I just forgot to mention.

cu elektra

---

From: aaron <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 01:29:31 +0200

> some of the Freifunk improvements to RFC3626 and named the whole thing 

I would like to add a few things:

you can find the current development of what elektra called
"Freifunk-OLSR" in the OLSR-NG branch:

blog - http://olsr.funkfeuer.at
discussion wiki - http://wiki.funkfeuer.at/index.php/OLSR-NG
main page - http://www.olsr.org (includes pointers to the mailinglists)

Current targets for OLSR-NG are to massively reduce the load
(packets/cpu) and thus to make it highly scalable.
In case anybody from the manet community knows any good simulators (in
order to simulate the CPU load of the *actual* implementation (I don't
want to re-implement in some NS-2 code or so)) I would be very
interested by the way (UML - usermode linux is to weak).

Any contributions are welcome.

> protocol of choice in 802.11s Note that there are several implementations of 

best,
aaron.

---

From: "Michael Bahr" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:35:08 +0200

Hi Ron,

There are many implementations of many ad hoc mesh routing protocols (or
manet routing protocols or whatever you might call them) around.

A very useful AODV implementation is aodv-uu by Uppsala University. The
University of California Santa Barbara has an AODV website with links to
other AODV implementations.

HWMP, the default routing protocol of the upcoming IEEE 802.11s WLAN mesh
networking standard, is based on AODV but has proactive extensions. If you
configure HWMP in such a way that it does not use these proactive
extensions, you get AODV. The "one laptop per child" project uses actually
HWMP on their devices.

The original developers of OLSR (T.H.Clausen, P. Mühlethaler, et al) from
INRIA have a website where you can find links to OLSR implementations. T.H.
Clausen was also involved in the development of RA-OLSR which was part of
802.11s.

And there is always <add your favorite web search here> to find more.

Hope this helps,
Michael