Subject: [manet] MANET APPLICATION IN Business

From: tameem issa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 01:42:09 +0000

Hi all
 
I was trying to find an application for MANET in business environment, i could not find  !!
Is there any existing application for MANET in business life ??
Thanks in advance...
 
Tameem Eissa Phd Student
Faculty of Computer Sciences,University Technology Malaysia (UTM)
Skudai,Johor
Malaysia
_________________________________________________________________
See what people are saying about Windows Live.  Check out featured posts.
http://www.windowslive.com/connect?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_connect2_082008

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Sudheendra Murthy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:44:03 -0700

I had posted a similar question last year. See
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=42P&q=%22Real-life+deployment+of+MANETs%22&btnG=Searchfor
responses.

Sudhi.

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:42 PM, tameem issa <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Tameem Eissa
> Phd Student
> ------------------------------
> See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured posts. Check
> It Out!<http://www.windowslive.com/connect?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_connect2_082008>
>

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:08:10 -0700

Hello Sudhi and Tameem,

All businesses that I have experience with, already have
a lot of communications infrastructure installed.  They would
almost always utilize the higher capacity of their installed
infrastructure instead of the slower, hop-by-hop routed
communications offered in an ad hoc network.

Applications for ad hoc networks, as have been discussed
for many years now, are mostly oriented towards scenarios
where there is not already a high-speed infrastructure
installed.

Regards,
Charlie P.

Sudheendra Murthy wrote:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=42P&q=%22Real-life+deployment+of+MANETs%22&btnG=Search 
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=42P&q=%22Real-life+deployment+of+MANETs%22&btnG=Search> 
> for responses.
>
> Sudhi.
>
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 6:42 PM, tameem issa <[email-masked] 
> <mailto:[email-masked]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all
>      
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     See what people are saying about Windows Live. Check out featured
>     posts. Check It Out!
>     <http://www.windowslive.com/connect?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_connect2_082008>
>
>     [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>

---

From: "Smit, J.F. (Jens) de" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:08:14 +0200

Hi all,

Wired communication is superior in throughput, reliability and security
compared to wireless. Wireless is also a bad idea in most office
buildings because of all the steel in the concrete. The only reason to
use wireless in a classical office environment is ease-of-use. However,
even in those situations it is usually easier and faster to install a
bunch of Access Points and hook those up to the wired network. If you
want to consider MANETs in business, listen to Charles and think of
situations where there is no infrastructure present. Anything temporary
is probably a good candidate: festivals, large conferences, those kinds
of things.

Regards,

Jens

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Charles E. Perkins
Sent: donderdag 28 augustus 2008 19:08
To: Sudheendra Murthy
Cc: tameem issa; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] MANET APPLICATION IN Business

Hello Sudhi and Tameem,

All businesses that I have experience with, already have a lot of
communications infrastructure installed.  They would almost always
utilize the higher capacity of their installed infrastructure instead of
the slower, hop-by-hop routed communications offered in an ad hoc
network.

Applications for ad hoc networks, as have been discussed for many years
now, are mostly oriented towards scenarios where there is not already a
high-speed infrastructure installed.

Regards,
Charlie P.

Sudheendra Murthy wrote:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3A
> en-US%3Aofficial&hs=42P&q=%22Real-life+deployment+of+MANETs%22&btnG=Se
> arch 
> <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3
> Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=42P&q=%22Real-life+deployment+of+MANETs%22&btnG=S
> earch>
> for responses.
>
> Sudhi.
>

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/disclaimer/email.html

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 10:51:31 -0700

Jens,

If you are only worrying about the LAN at the fringe of the internet,
then your logic is entirely correct.
	(LAN is defined as reach from last router to end systems; don't get
sidetracked into geo footprint definitions).

But increasingly we have a radio-WAN problem where the RF network is
purely a router-router interconnect problem.  End systems are on the
other side of at least one router.  A fairly mature example is a ship
which may have many end systems within the ship (a LAN problem).  But it
needs to interconnect ashore -- a router in the radio shack on the ship
connected to a router at the communications station ashore.
	There are other good examples of the radio-WAN  problem, and many more
so if your crystal ball is in operating order.  Consider a large size
disaster response -- a multi-engine fire response is a good case.  The
fire engine may host multiple end systems, so it's analogous to the ship
in the anecdote above.  So the routers on each engine need to be able to
form a radio-WAN that reaches back to the cabled internet at first
opportunity.  
	How long until this is the case in your private automobile.  Right now
you have an end system -- a cellphone or PDA so we tend to visualize it
as a LAN problem.  But instrument a few more things and export the data
from a few more of those things and you're into the LAN-in-car mode and
a radio-WAN router-router interconnect problem to the rest of the
internet.

---

From: "Buraiky, Salah M." <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 13:26:56 +0300

Hi all,

The ship example below is an example of a MANET application scenario that we have experienced in Saudi Aramco. We have a maintenance barge that is primarily connected to the network via a relatively low-speed VSAT (satellite) link but could take advantage of the proximity to infrastructure to connect via WiMax and achieve higher data rates and lower latency. It is true that we're currently using OSPF for that, but that's just because the area where this particular ship roams within is confined in a way that enables us to do so using a distributed VLAN. A more flexible and general design to opportunistically take advantage of the vicinity to fixed communication facilities (hosted in a fiber connected offshore platform) would require a MANET protocol. A MANET protocol would also enable maintenance and security boats to relay traffic through boats closer to the maintenance ship or the fixed infrastructure (usually an offshore platform). This is a very real business application where the value of MANET is in opportunistically establishing better connectivity for moving vessels.

Salah M. S. Al-Buraiky
Data Network Engineering Division
Saudi Aramco

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Rex Buddenberg
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 8:52 PM
To: Smit, J.F. (Jens) de
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] MANET APPLICATION IN Business

Jens,