Subject: [manet] Announcing the 2009 MANIAC Challenge

From: "Luiz DaSilva" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 10:53:47 -0500

Announcing the 2009 Mobile Ad-hoc Networking Interoperability And
Cooperation (MANIAC) Challenge

The MANIAC Challenge is an NSF-funded competition to better understand
cooperation and interoperability in ad hoc networks.  The 2nd MANIAC
Challenge will be held on March 8-9, 2009, in conjunction with IEEE PerCom
in Galveston, Texas.

At the MANIAC Challenge, competing teams of students/researchers come
together to form a large ad hoc network. The organizers generate traffic
destined to each team. Each team can program its own cooperation strategy in
the network, dynamically making forwarding and routing decisions. Teams are
judged based on how much of the traffic destined to them makes it through
the network, how little energy they consume in forwarding traffic, and a
subjective evaluation of the quality of their strategy design. To get their
traffic across the network, each team must rely on other teams' willingness
to forward traffic for them.

To participate, the first step is to check out our website at
www.maniacchallenge.org <http://www.maniacchallenge.org/> . There you will
find the software you need to download, how to get technical support,
detailed description of the rules, photos from the 2007 MANIAC Challenge,
etc. Hardware requirements are simple: commodity laptops and IEEE 802.11
cards.

Feedback we received from student teams and faculty advisors who
participated in the 2007 MANIAC Challenge was overwhelmingly positive. For
the 2009 competition, we will again be offering some student travel grants
to cover some of the travel expenses.

We look forward to seeing you there! Please let us know of any suggestions,
questions or comments.

Best regards,

Luiz A. DaSilva and Allen B. MacKenzie

Wireless @ Virginia Tech

Principal Investigators, MANIAC Challenge

Luiz DaSilva

Associate Professor

Bradley Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering

Virginia Tech

ph: (703) 387-6039  fax: (703) 528-5543

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet