Subject: [manet] SMF MIB

From: Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:28:41 -0500

I reviewed smf-mib-01. I've got a bunch of (rambling) comments from my  
first pass.

I think that all the RSSA related stuff should be an addon to NHDP- 
MIB. That said, in the SMF-MIB I'd like to see more about the DPD  
config, monitoring, and reporting.

I'd like to include the number of duplicates detected.

I'd like to include the number of packets dropped, and/or not forwarded.

I'd like to configure the IPID memory settings, e.g. how long to hold  
onto information; how many entries exist; the max number of entries;  
etc.

For H-DPD, I'd like to know how often the HAV was needed, for local  
packets & those being forwarded.

I think we should break out v4/v6. It would help with debugging.

Can an SMF DPD instance operate in both ID-DPD mode and H-DPD mode? I  
think yes - therefore both should be present in the MIB. Although the  
method applied to locally generated packets might choose only one.

In the ID-DPD, additional information about the packets being received/ 
forwarded might want to be included - That is, information from the  
DPD mechanism. E.g. the ID type.

Many of these settings should probably be on a per interface basis,  
and we may also require another interface representing locally  
generated packets.

For configuration, we need to represent from which interfaces SMF will  
forward packets and to which interfaces it will forward.

One more thing - for the special multicast address(es) defined in SMF,  
we might want to add some MIB objects.

Ian
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Cole, Robert G." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:09:52 -0500

Ian,

Thanks for your comments.  I'll catch up with co-authors this week and next and work to address you comments.

One comment.  Because I have not fleshed out the NHDP MIB yet (in progress and I'll get out in the next few weeks), it is hard to understand the relationship of the NHDP MIB to the other MIBs.  The OLSR routing protocol draft clearly spells out the relationship of its information elements to the NHDP information elements and I am using that information to rewrite the NHDP and OLSR MIB appropriately.  For example, I plan on using NHDP defined table indexes to index into OLSR tables.  I need to talk with Joe regarding a similar relationship between SMF and NHDP.

Were there any comments on a) the SMF filter table and b) the SMF MIB use of RMON-like reports and report control?  Sorry I missed the WG meeting.

Thanks,
Bob
________________________________________
From: Ian Chakeres [[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:28 PM
To: Cole, Robert G.; Joe P Macker; Brian Adamson; Sean [USA] Harnedy
Cc: manet
Subject: SMF MIB

Ian