Subject: [manet] Sequence number doubt

From: Deepak Gopalakrishnan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 16:16:30 +0530

Hi
Im trying to implement AODV algorithm and i have this doubt about sequence 
number.
What happens when there is a roll over in the sequence number? I am not 
getting a clear idea of how to implement a algorithm according to what is 
given in the aodv RFC3561.
For example,
i have allocated a 8bit value for sequence number..

suppose in a intermediate node the sequence number is 254.....but at the 
destination, the sequence has incremented twice due to some reason....then 
the present sequence wud be 1...
now if we compare the sequence numbers....the fresh packet will be 
discarded by the intermediate node....

also..if the intermediate node has updated the sequence number to 2(the 
case after a roll over has occured)...but receives a packet which was 
created before the roll over...then the node wud accept that node thinking 
that it has a "fresher" packet....

im totally confused....

Can anyone help me with the algorithm to tackle this roll over 
problem.....
thanks in advance

Regards,
Deepak Gopalakrishnan