Subject: Re: [manet] Some comments on draft-funkfeuer-manet-olsrv2-etx-01

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 18:46:46 +0100

> > > How can packet sizes of lost packets be measured?

> > Maybe with a second packet sequence number that is only increased for

> > large packets ?

If we want exact information it seems that the source or dest_nieghbours may
inform the destination of the lost packets sizes if requested by the
destination. The source should be able to list all the sent packets SQ
number with its size index by the packets destinations. The destination
sends to source a request of the sizes of packets (using special packet for
measure).

Or more simple method can be called the size SQ method proposed above, so
the source, path_nodes and destination are counting the packet by possible
categorized of size information/measured. We may have second/third/more
sequence (size_sequence) in three or four as very large, large, medium,
small. Therefore, when the dest size sequence count is different from the
source it will notice the lost and measure the size.

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 16:29:03 +0200

On Mon May 23 2011 19:46:46 Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
> If we want exact information it seems that the source or dest_nieghbours
> may inform the destination of the lost packets sizes if requested by the
> sends to source a request of the sizes of packets (using special packet
> for measure).
This might require a huge amount of data inside the packages because long 
bursts of packages might be lost.

On Tue May 24 2011 15:37:30 Georg Wittenburg wrote:
> Hi Henning, all,
> 
> I see. And I agree with you that in this case you would indeed need a
> second counter just for relevant packets. Possibly another TLV, if the
> overhead is acceptable.
I think it should be acceptable, we might even get away with a single byte 
sequence number, because we can detect overflows (more than 255 lost packages) 
with the help of the default package number.

Links which lost 200+ packages in a row would most likely be considered very 
bad anyways.

Henning Rogge
-- 
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Neuenahrer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de
GPG: E1C6 0914 490B 3909 D944 F80D 4487 C67C 55EC CFE0