Subject: [manet] Simplifying the REPORT-MIB (UNCLASSIFIED)

From: "Cole, Robert G USA CIV (US)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 17:20:55 +0000

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

To All, 

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I never saw a confirmation that this email
was sent.  So here goes:

Following up from our discussion in Quebec City last month on the future
directions of the REPORT-MIB.  Basically, the REPORT-MIB is too complex,
e.g., it currently contains 12 conformance groups.  I had proposed to
simplify it greatly for its first incarnation.  The problem is that the
REPORT-MIB currently defines three separate types of local reports that it
can generate, i.e., Statistical, Sampled and Historical.  I had proposed to
define only the Sampled reporting capability for the first incarnation and
to gain experience with this reporting type prior to spending a lot of time
defining and developing the additional two types. I proposed the Sampled
group as the first to gain experience with because it more closely follows
SNMP methods and experience for performance monitoring. 

The consensus at the meeting was that this proposal made sense, but in
addition the REPORT-MIB should be moved to Experimental which was also
accepted by the meeting.  However, to make this decision formal, we need to
take it to the mailing list.

Please let us know whether or not you agree with this proposal.  

Thanks,

Bob

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2011 10:37:51 -0700

Hi Bob,

I think your suggestion makes sense. Acquiring statistical data or historic
data can also be done in the management application itself, and may
therefore not be required by the REPORT-MIB. We probably need to get more
experience to see if at a later point of time it would make sense to add the
other functionality.

I also support the change of intended status.

On a related note, we are close to submitting a new revision of the NHDP-MIB
without any references to the REPORT-MIB (which would otherwise be a
down-ref).

Regards
Ulrich

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Cole, Robert G USA CIV (US) <
[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>
>