Subject: [manet] API for NHDP

From: James Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:02:10 -0500

Hi,

I'm working on implementing SNMP capabilities for NHDP.  I'm just wondering
if there is an API that allows application to interface with NHDP.

-- 
James Nguyen
Email: [email-masked]

---

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 09:14:00 -0800

James,

as for the interface towards SNMP, you can use the MIB that is included in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-manet-nhdp-mib

There are tools that create C++/Java/etc. code from a MIB. The back-end
itself (between the MIB code and NHDP) has to be implemented manually.

We are very interested in MIB implementations and experiences with it, so
when you have completed the implementation, please notify us on the MANET
list. Is this implementation planned to be open source?

Hope that helps
Ulrich

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:02 AM, James Nguyen <[email-masked]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on implementing SNMP capabilities for NHDP.  I'm just
> wondering if there is an API that allows application to interface with NHDP.
>
> --
> James Nguyen
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>
>

---

From: James Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:09:28 -0500

Ulrich,

I can see you're the co-author of NHDP.  :)  Do you know how many NHDP
implementations there are beside Naval Research Laboratory's NHDP that was
written in C++?

I'm planning to have the SNMP implementation open source.

James

---

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:26:17 -0800

James,

actually, I am not a coauthor of NHDP, but of the NHDP-MIB document :-) I
am not aware of how many implementations exist. I have myself implemented
one in Java for my previous employer (Ecole Polytechnique), but it is not
open-source.
I know of a few corporate, closed-source implementations. As for
open-source, there is the one from NRL (which I have tested and which works
fine). There is also one from olsr.org, but I don't know the status of the
implementation (but I think the basic functionality works fine, it was also
tested during the interop event).

Have a look at the proceedings of http://interop.thomasclausen.org
During these interop events, a number of different RFC5449 and NHDP
implementations have been tested. You can also find a description of the
tests at http://herberg.name/downloads/pubs/thesis.pdf

Will you come to the Paris IETF? There is always a slot at the end of the
MANET WG session with updates about implementations. In my opinion, it
would be very interesting to hear about your NHDP and in particular your
NHDP-MIB implementation.

Regards
Ulrich

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM, James Nguyen
<[email-masked]>wrote:

>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:02 AM, James Nguyen <[email-masked]
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>

---

From: Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 10:43:00 -0800

P.S. I meant RFC5444, not RFC5449 in my previous email.

Ulrich

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>wrote:

> fine). There is also one from olsr.org, but I don't know the status of
> the implementation (but I think the basic functionality works fine, it was
> also tested during the interop event).
>
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:09 AM, James Nguyen <[email-masked]
> > wrote:
>
>> Ulrich,
>>
>>> We are very interested in MIB implementations and experiences with it,
>>> so when you have completed the implementation, please notify us on the
>>> MANET list. Is this implementation planned to be open source?
>>>
>>> Hope that helps
>>> Ulrich
>>>
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 6:02 AM, James Nguyen <
>>> [email-masked]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Hi,
>>>>