Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-smf-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 09:09:35 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Simplified Multicast Forwarding
	Author(s)       : Joseph Macker
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-smf-14.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2012-03-06

   This document describes a Simplified Multicast Forwarding (SMF)
   mechanism that provides basic Internet Protocol (IP) multicast
   forwarding suitable for limited wireless mesh and mobile ad hoc
   network (MANET) use.  It is mainly applicable in situations where
   efficient flooding represents an acceptable engineering design trade-
   off.  It defines techniques for multicast duplicate packet detection
   (DPD), to be applied in the forwarding process, for both IPv4 and
   IPv6 protocol use.  This document also specifies optional mechanisms
   for using reduced relay sets to achieve more efficient multicast data
   distribution within a mesh topology as compared to classic flooding.
   Interactions with other protocols, such as use of information
   provided by concurrently running unicast routing protocols, or
   interaction with other multicast protocols, as well as multiple
   deployment approaches are also described.  Distributed algorithms for
   selecting reduced relay sets and related discussion are provided in
   the appendices.  Basic issues relating to the operation of multicast
   MANET border routers are discussed, but ongoing work remains in this
   area, and is beyond the scope of this document.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-smf-14.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-smf-14.txt