Subject: [manet] Could we Update RFC2501?

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 19:42:13 +0200

Hi Folks,

the RFC2501 is the best RFC I read and I like it because it is easy to
read, understandable, and covers solid issues of MANET. I hope the
authors give us a feedback if they want to make new one as Version 2.

I see that it is old (1999), and it may be interesting to update it
some how, I hope the authors can update its issues and evaluation, now
we got new RFCs and industries have new needs than 90s, it does not
cover different devices constraints as sensors and LLNs, and IPv6,
6LoWPAN, furthermore, some old MANET routings RFC3561, RFC3626 are
getting renew versions.

As I can see OLSRv2 and AODVv2 are going in progress, why we don't try
to update RFC2501 as well, it will only take few days or a month, to
draft and submit so why leave it old-documents with old
considerations? Please advise,

Abdussalam Baryun
University of Glamorgan, UK.
=========================================================

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 18:10:49 +0200

>Could we Update RFC2501?

I see that RFC2501 some how defines MANET technologies, which will be
a good reference in the draft I am writting of L2 subnets, but maybe
RFC2501 is enough for the protocols, and no need for a new draft.
However, that will depend on the WG discussion and decision :)

I got no answer of the question so far, therefore, I will propose it
to be discussed in the next meeting IETF 84.

AB
=====================================================

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:58:54 -0700

Hello Abdussalam,

I didn't see what part of RFC 2501 needed to be revised.
Do you have a specific proposal?  I think that, before you
could expect any discussion on revising that document,
you would have to point out what part or parts need
work.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 6/21/2012 9:10 AM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
> On 6/6/12, Abdussalam Baryun<[email-masked]>  wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>

-- 
Regards,
Charlie P.

---

From: Abdussalam Baryun <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 23:29:13 +0200

Hi All,

Thanks Charlie, I will do the proposal in details, and post shortly,
My idea was about including: new MANET-issues, LLN considerations,
R2RI technology, and others,,

If there are any ideas of other proposed updates, please advise,

Regards
Abdussalam
================================================