Subject: Re: [manet] #12: INVALID_PREFIX_LENGTH -- is it useful?

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 20:05:47 -0700

Hello folks,

  INVALID_PREFIX_LENGTH has been written out of the specification
without any inconvenient side effects.  Unless there is any objection,
I think this issue can safely be closed.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 1/9/2013 1:56 PM, manet issue tracker wrote:
> #12: INVALID_PREFIX_LENGTH -- is it useful?
>
>   In AODVv2, all routes have known prefix lengths, which
>   can be the same as the length of the IP address family of the route's
>   destination (in which case, they are known as "host routes").  Only
>   when there is no route, is it possible for a destination to have an
>   unknown prefix length.  In that case, the RERR message has only a
>   single destination address in its !AddrBlk, and since the !PrefixLength
>   is unknown, it is simply not included.
>
>   Since there are not any cases where INVALID_PREFIX_LENGTH has to
>   be assigned, it should be deleted from the specification.  For all
>   destinations that do not have explicitly known subnet prefixes, the
>   !PrefixLength must be reported to be the length of IP addresses for
>   the relevant address family (i.e., 4 for IPv4 or 16 for IPv6).
>

-- 
Regards,
Charlie P.