Subject: Re: [manet] #7: Top level document organization

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 17:14:11 -0700

Hello folks,

This has been done, and has not caused any presentation difficulties
or organizational inconvenience in recent versions of the specification.
Therefore, unless there are any objections or suggestions for further
improvement, I think we can safely close this issue.

Regards,
Charlie P.

On 11/6/2012 3:35 AM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:
> Thanks, I agree with the proposal,
>
> AB
>
> On 11/5/12, manet issue tracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> #7: Top level document organization
>>
>>   Previous revisions have collected together various sections describing
>>   base protocol features into a top-level section entitled "Detailed
>>   Operation for the Base Protocol".  However, this does not seem to provide
>>   very much guidance for finding appropriate sections of the document, and
>>   some of the subsections seem better suited to be described in their own
>>   high-level sections.  There is another section devoted to Optional
>>   Features, and it seems that already provides a pretty good way to separate
>>   Base features from Optional features.  It is proposed to eliminate the
>>   abovementioned top-level section and promote its subsections to be top-
>>   level sections.
>>
>>   Here is a snapshot of the Table of Contents, still subject to minor
>>   changes:
>>
>>   {{{
>>   Table of Contents
>>
>>      1.  Overview . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  4
>>      2.  Terminology  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  5
>>      3.  Applicability Statement  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  7
>>      4.  Data Structures  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
>>        4.1.  Route Table Entry  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  8
>>        4.2.  AODVv2 Message Structure and Information Elements  . . . . 10
>>        4.3.  RteMsg-specific Protocol Elements  . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
>>        4.4.  Route Error (RERR)-specific Protocol Elements  . . . . . . 14
>>      5.  AODVv2 Sequence Numbers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 14
>>      6.  AODVv2 Operations on Route Table Entries . . . . . . . . . . . 15
>>        6.1.  Evaluating Incoming Routing Information  . . . . . . . . . 15
>>        6.2.  Creating or Updating Route Table Entries . . . . . . . . . 17
>>        6.3.  Route Table Entry Timeouts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 17
>>      7.  Routing Messages . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
>>        7.1.  RREQ Creation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 18
>>        7.2.  RREP Creation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
>>        7.3.  Handling a Received RteMsg . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 19
>>      8.  Route Discovery, Retries, and Buffering  . . . . . . . . . . . 21
>>      9.  Route Maintenance  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 22
>>        9.1.  Active Next-hop Router Adjacency Monitoring  . . . . . . . 22
>>        9.2.  Handling Route Lifetimes During Packet Forwarding  . . . . 23
>>        9.3.  RERR Generation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 23
>>        9.4.  Receiving and Handling RERR Messages . . . . . . . . . . . 24
>>      10. Unknown Message and TLV Types  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
>>      11. Advertising Network Addresses  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
>>      12. Simple Internet Attachment . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25
>>      13. Multiple Interfaces  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27
>>      14. AODVv2 Control Packet/Message Generation Limits  . . . . . . . 27
>>      15. Optional Features  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 27
>>        15.1. Expanding Rings Multicast  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
>>        15.2. Intermediate RREP  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
>>        15.3. Precursor Notification . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
>>          15.3.1.  Overview  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
>>          15.3.2.  Precursor Notification  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 28
>>        15.4. Reporting Multiple Unreachable Nodes . . . . . . . . . . . 30
>>        15.5. Message Aggregation  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30
>>        15.6. Adding Additional Routing Information to a RteMsg  . . . . 30
>>      16. Administratively Configured Parameters and Timer Values  . . . 32
>>      17. IANA Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 34
>>        17.1. AODVv2 Message Types Specification . . . . . . . . . . . . 35
>>        17.2. Message and Address Block TLV Type Specification . . . . . 35
>>        17.3. Address Block TLV Specification  . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
>>      18. Security Considerations  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 36
>>      19. Acknowledgments  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38
>>      20. References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38
>>        20.1. Normative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 38
>>        20.2. Informative References . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 39
>>      Appendix A.  Changes since the Previous Version  . . . . . . . . . 40
>>      Appendix B.  Shifting Network Prefix Advertisement Between
>>                   AODVv2 Routers  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41
>>      Authors' Addresses . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 41
>>   }}}
>>
>> --
>> --------------------------------+-----------------------------
>>   Reporter:  charliep@…          |      Owner:  Charlie Perkins
>>       Type:  enhancement         |     Status:  new
>>   Priority:  minor               |  Milestone:
>> Component:  dymo                |    Version:
>>   Severity:  Active WG Document  |   Keywords:
>> --------------------------------+-----------------------------
>>
>> Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/7>
>> manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> manet mailing list
>> [email-masked]
>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>>
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>

-- 
Regards,
Charlie P.