Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-dat-metric-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 04:34:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Packet Sequence Number based directional airtime metric for OLSRv2
        Authors         : Henning Rogge
                          Emmanuel Baccelli
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-dat-metric-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2014-08-08

Abstract:
   This document specifies an directional airtime link metric for usage
   in OLSRv2.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-dat-metric/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-dat-metric-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-dat-metric-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 13:39:07 +0200

Hi,

I have just finished working through the review of Thomas Clausen of my
draft and pushed a new revision.

A major point where I disagree with Thomas is the IANA registration.

I think there is no real benefit to register a metric codepoint for a
metric that is completely asymmetric and does not need to know what
metric the other side of the link is using.

In a normal MANET I would just use the "tlv extension" 0... or maybe
0-15 if I run a multi-topology network.

What does the working group think, shall we add an IANA registration
anyways, making it mandatory for all coming link metrics?

Henning Rogge

On 08/08/2014 01:34 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
> 

-- 
Diplom-Informatiker Henning Rogge , Fraunhofer-Institut für
Kommunikation, Informationsverarbeitung und Ergonomie FKIE
Kommunikationssysteme (KOM)
Fraunhofer Straße 20, 53343 Wachtberg, Germany
Telefon +49 228 9435-961,   Fax +49 228 9435 685
mailto:[email-masked] http://www.fkie.fraunhofer.de

---

From: Teco Boot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 15:45:02 +0200

You need IANA registration if you want to transfer specific information, like data rate, signal strength, loss ratio. If you use such info just to calculate the default dimensionless metric, which I think you propose in your draft, IANA registration does not make sense to me.

My advice is to add some text on using the Directional airtime metric for calculating the "Link metric meaning assigned by administrative action". You just automate the administrative action.

Teco