Subject: Re: [manet] #46 (aodvv2): What is needed from IP and ICMP (submitted for Chris Dearlove)

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 14:27:41 -0000

#46: What is needed from IP and ICMP (submitted for Chris Dearlove)

Comment (by [email-masked]):

 On 9/8/2014 10:45 AM, Christopher Dearlove wrote:
 >
 > This needs specifying .... And also because people who want to implement
 it know what capabilities they need. If they need queueing in the IP stack
 they need to be told they need queuing in the IP stack. And that makes it
 clear this needs to be more than a routing protocol if that capability is
 not available as standard, which I think you just agreed it's not.
 Knowledge in the ad hoc routing community isn't enough.

 > On 8 Sep 2014, at 18:20, Charles E. Perkins wrote:

 >> On 9/7/2014 3:01 PM, Abdussalam Baryun wrote:

 >>> I think you may misunderstand MANET  reactive routing. I don't see
 your reply answers the editor question of examples of AODVv2 needs from IP
 or ICMP. You mention that the protocol needs to see ICMP, what is the
 problem with that as RFC3561 already has similar issue and already
 accepted by WG.

 >>> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote:
 >>>
 >>>     Just for a start you also need to know that IP routes are
 requested, that packets are flowing, and to have the ability to queue
 packets.

 >> On Tuesday, July 22, 2014, Dearlove, Christopher (UK) wrote something
 that Charlie interprets as follows:

 >>> AODVv2 needs the following:
 >>>     - information that IP routes are requested
 >>>     - information that packets are flowing
 >>>     - the ability to queue packets.
 >>
 >> Tautologically, a reactive protocol reacts when a route is needed.
 >> One might say that a route is requested when an application tries to
 >> send a packet.  The fundamental concept of reactive routing is to
 >> avoid creating routes that are not needed, and the way that has been
 >> used to know whether a route is needed is when an application tries
 >> to send a packet.
 >>
 >> If an application tries to send a packet, and the route is available,
 the
 >> packet has to wait until the route is available.  So, yes, queuing a
 >> packet is needed.

-- 
-----------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  [email-masked]  |       Owner:  [email-masked]
     Type:  defect                 |      Status:  new
 Priority:  minor                  |   Milestone:
Component:  aodvv2                 |     Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document     |  Resolution:
 Keywords:  IP/ICMP interaction    |
-----------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/46#comment:2>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>

---

From: "manet issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 17:36:30 -0000

Changes (by [email-masked]):

 * status:  new => assigned

     Type:  defect                 |      Status:  assigned

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/manet/trac/ticket/46#comment:3>
manet <http://tools.ietf.org/manet/>