Subject: [manet] DLEP-16: Timers

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:05:51 -0400

It appears that my previous note about confusing language 
describing Timers was overlooked in editing DLEP version 16.

DLEP-16, Section 2, pages 8-9, have a discussion of timers, 
which are optional.  The text is itself confusing in places,
and I think the current text is likely to lead to non-interoperability 
between implementations that use timers and those that don’t 
support timers. 

REQUESTED ACTIONS:

A)  Make implementation and use of the DLEP timers mandatory, 
by using “MUST” instead of “SHOULD” or “MAY”. 

B) Add clearer discussion of DLEP Timers, the correct behavior, 
and put that into its own sub-section,  so that it is easy for
a naive reader (i.e. someone outside the MANET WG) to locate 
once that reader has been handed the DLEP RFC and told to 
implement DLEP in a radio or router product.  

Clarity and completeness of specification is essential for 
achieving interoperability.

Thanks,

Ran

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2015 13:37:59 +0000

Ran,

There is on-going editing of Section 2 as a whole to split the 
'descriptive' text away from the 'normative' text.  Timer text will be 
revisited as part of that work.  The aim is to improve clarity and 
completeness.

Thanks,

Rick

On 17/08/15 21:06, RJ Atkinson wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>