Subject: [manet] DLEP-16: IANA Considerations - Multicast Address Allocation

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 16:14:00 -0400

This issue was reported earlier but appears to have been overlooked
in creating DLEP version 16.

ISSUE: In re-reading sub-section 12.8 on DLEP Multicast Addressing 
within "IANA Considerations”, there seem to be 2 issues. 

 (A) Existing text does not specify which multicast address block 
     the allocation ought to come from. 

   From list discussion, and from similar existing practice (e.g. OSPFv2,   
   RIPv2), it seems clear that a link-local/non-routed multicast address 
   is desired, but the DLEP-15 text is not clear.  IANA considerations
   text needs to be crystal clear in any RFC.

  (B) Existing text is ambiguous and does not clarify whether an 
      IPv4 address, an IPv6 address, or both is being requested. 

   From the context of the rest of DLEP-15, it seems likely that 
   both IPv4 multicast and IPv6 multicast allocations are needed.
   The document ought not require IANA to ask what is intended.
   Instead, the document ought to be clear what is being requested.

REQUESTED ACTIONS: 

Update Section 12.8, to specifically ask that the DLEP IPv4 Multicast 
address allocation come from the IPv4 Local Network Control Block. 

Also, clarify that DLEP will need both 1 IPv4 multicast address 
and 1 IPv6 multicast address. 

CANDIDATE NEW TEXT: 

It is requested that IANA allocate 1 IPv4 multicast address for DLEP
from the IPv4 Local Network Control Block (i.e. 224.0.0.0/24). 

It also is requested that IANA allocate 1 permanent IPv6 multicast 
address for DLEP from the IPv6 Link-Local Scope Multicast Address Block.

The procedure described in Section 4.1 of RFC-3307 appears to be relevant to this request.