Subject: [manet] DLEP-17: Extensions

From: RJ Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:10:51 -0500

Extensions are more clear to me now, but the document itself
is not crystal clear.  So I propose adding additional text
to make their existence/use/concept crystal clear to a naive
reader of the DLEP specification.

Concern:
  Neither Section 1.0 nor Section 1.1 mention that DLEP is
  extensible.  This begs the question in the mind of the
  first-time reader and leads to a surprise when the reader
  reads about Extensions (e.g. in Section 5) before their
  existence has been mentioned and they have been defined.

Proposed additional text at the end of Section 1.1:

  While the base DLEP specification defined here is believed to be
  sufficient, DLEP is extensible as described in Section 6 below.
  A DLEP extension can be used to define new behaviors, message types,
  data items, and/or status codes.

Concern:
  While on-list clarifications have been helpful, the actual
  specification is not crystal clear about how Extensions work.
  I have paraphrased previous on-list comments from others to
  create the new paragraph below.

Proposed additional paragraph for Section 6:

  A single extension might contain zero or more new behaviors, zero or 
  more new message types, zero or more data items, and/or zero or more 
  new status codes.  A single extension MUST contain at least one new
  behavior, new message type, new data item, or new status code.

Yours,

Ran