Subject: [manet] DLEP-17: Failure processing

From: Lou Berger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 14:52:21 -0500

Authors/WG,

DLEP-17 describes  Error handling in terms of a fixed "Failure Mode",
See Table 3.  I like this formalization of something that was previously
implicit.  I'd like to suggest going on step further by making
Terminate|Continue explicit in the Status data item.  This will both
ease initial implementation and facilitate forward compatibility.

To be clear: I'm proposing adding a flags field to the Status data item:

    0                   1                   2                   3
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   | Data Item Type                | Length                        |
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
   |T|  Reserved   | Status Code   | Text...                       :
   +-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

With a definition of
   T (1-Bit): When set, indicates that the session MUST be
   terminated upon receipt of the containing message.

   Reserved (7-bits): MUST be set to zero by sender and ignored by
                      receiver.

Length also changes to 2 + length of the text field.

Lou