Subject: [manet] [ACM CHANTS 2016] Call for Papers - 4 weeks to deadline!

From: Elisabetta Biondi<[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 May 2016 14:34:01 +0200

===============================================================================
===============================================================================

            ACM CHANTS 2016 - 11th Workshop on Challenged Networks            

                       co-located with ACM MobiCom 2016                       
                       October 3-7, 2016, New York, USA

                             www.acm-chants.org                              

===============================================================================
===============================================================================

Challenged networks comprise those situations where communication is desired,
but traditional Internet architectures fail to provide it effectively. Such
networks may be characterized by intermittent connectivity, a heterogeneous mix
of nodes, frequent nodal churn, and widely varying network conditions. Examples
of challenged networks include deployments in rural and remote areas, networks
to support emergency response operations, inter-planetary networks, sensor and
wildlife monitoring networks, underwater networks, road vehicle networks, and,
more recently, networks of micro aerial vehicles. The applications of challenged
networks range from time-critical communications such as for disaster relief to
delay-tolerant transmission in poorly connected regions or where censorship
should be counteracted. However, challenged networking has also found many
applications in everyday settings, for which they were not initially conceived,
such as opportunistic networking supporting data-centric communications, traffic
offloading from cellular networks, mobile cloud/edge computing, opportunistic
and participatory sensing, challenged IoT. The increasing availability of
wireless communications in embedded devices as well as integration of
technologies such as Wi-Fi direct on Android platforms and LTE's D2D
(device-to-device) communication on general purpose mobile devices, will further
push the development of challenged networking solutions. Challenged networking
has also chartered new directions for inter-disciplinary research, e.g.,
applying findings from social networks and network science.

This workshop builds on the success of the ten previous CHANTS workshops, and
WDTN 2005, and aims to stimulate research on the most novel topics of challenged
networking research. This year's edition encourages submission of theoretical
and experimental work (including studies of real deployment), with a primary
interest in the **new directions of challenged networking such as mobile
cloud/mobile edge computing, IoT, mobile data offloading, and challenged SDN**.
The workshop seeks original work presented in the form of research papers
describing new research approaches and results, as well as demo submissions.
Highly disruptive work-in-progress and position papers are also welcome,
provided they focus on particularly innovative, out-of-the-box, solutions or
applications for challenged networks. All papers shall be forward-looking,
describe their relationship to existing work, and shall argue their impact and
implications for ongoing or future research.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- Delay/disruption-tolerant networks (DTNs), opportunistic communication and computing
- Architecture, design, and implementation of communication systems for challenged networks
- Modeling, analysis, and characterization of challenged networks and protocols
- Challenged networking techniques for mobile cloud computing
- Mobile data offloading via challenged networks
- Challenged networking techniques for participatory and opportunistic sensing
- Challenged networking in the Internet of Things
- Big data analytics in challenged networking
- Software-defined networking in challenged environments
- Security/trust/privacy concerns and solutions in challenged networks
- Energy-efficient communication in challenged networks
- Information centric and content-centric networking in challenged networks
- Real-world mobility trace collection, analysis, and modeling for challenged environments
- Network science methods for challenged networks
- Network coding in challenged networks
- Novel challenged networking systems (e.g., networks of micro aerial vehicles)
- Real deployment and case studies in various stages of use
- Disrupted scenarios for challenged networks (e.g., disaster relief and emergency management)
- Daily use applications (e.g., mobile social networking, crowdsourcing, censorship evasion, sensor networks, smart cities)
- Test and simulation tools for evaluating challenged network systems
- Configuration, management, and monitoring of challenged networks.

PAPER FORMAT AND SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
----------------------------------------
Submitted papers must be no longer than 6 pages, and should adhere to the
standard ACM conference proceedings format. Demo proposals (to be published as
part of the proceedings) must not be longer than 2 pages plus 1 page description
of the precise setup and requirements (the 1-page setup description will not be
published in the proceedings). Reviews will be single-blinded. Papers should
neither have been published elsewhere nor being currently under review by
another conference or journal.

EDITORIAL FOLLOW-UPS
--------------------
Extended versions of the selected workshop papers will be considered for
possible fast track publication on the Computer Communications Journal
(Elsevier), in a special section on Challenged Networks.

IMPORTANT DATES
---------------

- Abstract Registration:     25 May 2016
- Submission Deadline:       1 June 2016
- Acceptance Notification:   6 July 2016
- Camera Ready Due:         20 July 2016

PROGRAM COMMITTEE CHAIRS
------------------------
Chiara Boldrini (IIT-CNR, Italy)
Marcelo Dias de Amorim (UPMC and CNRS, France)

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE
---------------------------
Kevin Almeroth (UC-Santa Barbara, USA)
Mostafa Ammar (Georgia Institute of Technology, USA)
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem (SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden)
Guohong Cao (The Pennsylvania State University, USA)
Marco Cello (Nokia Bell Labs)
Vania Conan (Thales Communications & Security, France)
Luis Costa (Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
Do Young Eun (North Carolina State University, USA)
Kevin Fall (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
Stephen Farrell (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
Domenico Giustiniano (IMDEA Networks Institute, Spain)
Tristan Henderson (University of St Andrews, UK)
Andrea Hess (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
Pan Hui (Hong Kong Unive. of Science and Technology)
Karin Anna Hummel (JKU Linz, Austria)
Mohan Kumar (Rochester Institute of Technology, USA)
Kyunghan Lee (UNIST, Korea)
Anders Lindgren (SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden)
Mirco Musolesi (University College London, UK)
Katia Obraczka (UC Santa Cruz, USA)
Melek Onen (Eurecom, France)
Joerg Ott (Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany)
Elena Pagani (Universita degli Studi di Milano, Italy)
Andrea Passarella (IIT-CNR, Italy)
Eric Rozner (IBM Research, USA)
Pavlos Sermpezis (FORTH, Greece)
Thrasyvoulos Spyropoulos (Eurecom, France)
Stavros Toumpis (Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece)
Thierry Turletti (INRIA, France)
Yu Wang (University of North Carolina at Charlotte, USA)
Eiko Yoneki (University of Cambridge, UK)
Xiaolan Zhang (Fordham University, USA)

WEB CHAIR
---------
Fehmi Ben Abdesslem (SICS Swedish ICT, Sweden)

PUBLICITY CHAIR
---------------
Elisabetta Biondi (IIT-CNR, Italy)

STEERING COMMITTEE
------------------
Kevin Almeroth (UC Santa Barbara, USA)
Kevin Fall (Carnegie Mellon University, USA)
Stephen Farrell (Trinity College Dublin, Ireland)
Jorg Ott (Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany)
Andrea Passarella (IIT-CNR, Italy)