Subject: [manet] WG Review: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 09:21:20 -0700

The Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet) WG in the Routing Area of the IETF is
undergoing rechartering. The IESG has not made any determination yet. The
following draft charter was submitted, and is provided for informational
purposes only. Please send your comments to the IESG mailing list
([email-masked]) by 2016-06-30.

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Stan Ratliff <[email-masked]>
  Justin Dean <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Ulrich Herberg <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
 
Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/manet/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-manet/

The purpose of the MANET working group is to standardize IP routing 
protocol functionality suitable for wireless routing applications within 
both static and dynamic topologies with increased dynamics due to 
node motion or other factors.  

Approaches are intended to be relatively lightweight in nature, suitable 
for multiple hardware and wireless environments, and address 
scenarios where MANETs are deployed at the edges of an IP 
infrastructure. Hybrid mesh infrastructures (e.g., a mixture of fixed and
mobile routers) should also be supported by MANET specifications and 
management features.

When routing devices rely on modems to effect communications over
wireless links, they need timely and accurate knowledge of the
characteristics of the link (speed, state, etc.) in order to make
routing decisions.  In mobile or other environments where these
characteristics change frequently, manual configurations or the
inference of state through routing or transport protocols does not
allow the router to make the best decisions.  The WG will put 
special attention on the standardization of a bidirectional, 
dynamic link exchange protocol (DLEP) between the router and the modem.

The MANET WG will coordinate with other Working Groups, such as the 
pim WG for multicast support, and the Routing Area WG (rtgwg), OSPF
WG and Babel WG on the general use of DLEP.

The MANET WG is responsible for the maintenance of OLSRv2 [RFC 7181],
NHDP [RFC 6130] and the Generalized MANET Packet/Message Format
[RFC5444], and their extensions.

Work Items:

- Develop a dynamic link exchange protocol (DLEP).

- DLEP extension to provide a credit-windowing scheme for 
destination-specific flow control.

- DLEP extensions for reporting statistics by traffic classification.

- Multicast MANET protocol framework based on Simplified Multicast 
Forwarding [RFC 6621] for scoped forwarding within MANET networks.  
As part of this framework the WG will produce a well defined MANET 
multicast forwarding information base (FIB).

- Document outlining challenges and best practices for deploying and 
managing MANET networks.  

Milestones:
  Nov 2016 - MANET Management Document (Informational)
  Nov 2016 - DLEP Credit Windowing Extensions (Standards Track)
  Nov 2016 - DLEP (Standards Track)
  Jul 2017 - DLEP traffic extensions (Standards Track)
  Nov 2017 - Multicast FIB (Standards Track)