Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-23.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 13:38:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks of the IETF.

        Title           : Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP)
        Authors         : Stan Ratliff
                          Shawn Jury
                          Darryl Satterwhite
                          Rick Taylor
                          Bo Berry
	Filename        : draft-ietf-manet-dlep-23.txt
	Pages           : 64
	Date            : 2016-07-18

Abstract:
   When routing devices rely on modems to effect communications over
   wireless links, they need timely and accurate knowledge of the
   characteristics of the link (speed, state, etc.) in order to make
   routing decisions.  In mobile or other environments where these
   characteristics change frequently, manual configurations or the
   inference of state through routing or transport protocols does not
   allow the router to make the best decisions.  A bidirectional, event-
   driven communication channel between the router and the modem is
   necessary.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-manet-dlep/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-manet-dlep-23

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-manet-dlep-23

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Stan Ratliff <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2016 17:43:31 -0400

Hello Working Group,

As you can see, there is a DLEP-23 that was posted tonight. This version
was prompted by comments received in the AD review. Most of the changes are
editorial - the biggest change of the bunch is a requirement to implement
RFC5082 (The Generalized TTL Security Mechanism, or GTSM). With GTSM, DLEP
now requires all UDP-based signals to be sent with TTL=1. All TCP-based
DLEP Messages are sent with TTL=255. The TTL values are checked on receipt,
and the packets are discarded if the TTLs don't match-up. The use of GTSM
is to mandate that DLEP run over 1 physical hop only - it enforces the
requirement that we run on a single Layer 2 domain.

Regards,
Stan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 4:38 PM
Subject: [manet] I-D Action: draft-ietf-manet-dlep-23.txt
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 12:25:41 +0000

Hello All,

Unfortunately, an extra error status code (133) was added during
editing, and not removed again when it was discovered to be
unnecessary.  It will be removed, and a new draft issued.  However, we
would like to give you all a chance to read this draft and raise any
other issues now.

Cheers,

Rick

On Mon, 2016-07-18 at 17:43 -0400, Stan Ratliff wrote:
> Hello Working Group, 
> 
> As you can see, there is a DLEP-23 that was posted tonight. This
> version was prompted by comments received in the AD review. Most of
> the changes are editorial - the biggest change of the bunch is a
> requirement to implement RFC5082 (The Generalized TTL Security
> Mechanism, or GTSM). With GTSM, DLEP now requires all UDP-based
> signals to be sent with TTL=1. All TCP-based DLEP Messages are sent
> with TTL=255. The TTL values are checked on receipt, and the packets
> are discarded if the TTLs don't match-up. The use of GTSM is to
> mandate that DLEP run over 1 physical hop only - it enforces the