Subject: [manet] DLEP required metrics

From: "Wiggins, David - 0665 - MITLL" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2018 21:33:40 +0000

In RFC 8175, the following metrics are required in a Session Initialization Response:

Maximum Data Rate (Receive)

Maximum Data Rate (Transmit)

Current Data Rate (Receive)

Current Data Rate (Transmit)

Latency

If a modem doesn’t have a value for one or more of these metrics, what value should it use?  Ideally it would just omit the metric, but with the current RFC, that isn’t an option.   Note that these same metrics are optional in Destination Up and Update.

David

---

From: Henning Rogge <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 04:27:38 +0000

> Current Data Rate (Transmit)

I think these four should be no trouble... if you don't know the exact
"current" bitrate, just report a fixed one... if you only support one
bitrate at all, just report them both as maximum and current.

> Latency

This one is more tricky... just give it a guess... most modern "civil"
technologies could easily report "1 millisecond"... only low bandwidth
radios or satcom links should report something higher (if you don't know
the "correct" value).

> If a modem doesn’t have a value for one or more of these metrics, what
value should it use?  Ideally it would just omit the metric, but with the
current RFC, that isn’t an option.   Note that these same metrics are
optional in Destination Up and Update.

They are optional in Dest Up/Down because you are allowed to report a
default value for all neighbors in the Session Initialization and it will
just be valid for all neighbors.

Henning Rogge

---

From: Rick Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 08:37:57 +0000

+1, Good answer Henning.

Rick

On Fri, 2018-05-04 at 04:27 +0000, Henning Rogge wrote:
> > In RFC 8175, the following metrics are required in a Session
> 
> Initialization Response:
> 
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet