Subject: Re: [feedback-report] MIME question
From: "J.D. Falk" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 15:49:30 -0800
List-Id: Public forum for discussion on the feedback-report draft <abuse-feedback-report.mipassoc.org>

On 2006-02-08 15:14, Ian Ragsdale wrote:

> It depends on what parser and how they use it.
> 
> Assuming they recursively descend into any multipart part of the  
> message, then yes.  An ARF message is easily recognizable as a  
> multipart message (content-type of "multipart/report"), so if they  
> don't completely ignore multipart types that they don't recognize  
> then they should find it.  Most parsers that I've worked with make it  
> easy to treat all multipart parts the same way, so I'd say that it's  
> pretty likely.

So, the statement "most MIME parsers should be able to read ARF without 
extra development work" would be valid.

Sweet.

-- 
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team

From: Ian Ragsdale <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [feedback-report] MIME question
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 17:14:54 -0600
To: "J.D. Falk" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]

It depends on what parser and how they use it.

Assuming they recursively descend into any multipart part of the  
message, then yes.  An ARF message is easily recognizable as a  
multipart message (content-type of "multipart/report"), so if they  
don't completely ignore multipart types that they don't recognize  
then they should find it.  Most parsers that I've worked with make it  
easy to treat all multipart parts the same way, so I'd say that it's  
pretty likely.

Ian

On Feb 8, 2006, at 4:54 PM, J.D. Falk wrote:

> Here's where I show that I still don't entirely grok MIME.
>
> Say somebody writes a parser that looks for a message/rfc822 part  
> in a report, and ignores any other MIME types.  If they get an ARF  
> report, will that parser be able to continue to pull out the rfc822  
> part and ignore the new ARF stuff without any new logic?
>

From: Steve Atkins <[email-masked]>
Subject: Re: [feedback-report] MIME question
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:11:23 -0800
To: [email-masked]

On Feb 8, 2006, at 2:54 PM, J.D. Falk wrote:

> Here's where I show that I still don't entirely grok MIME.
>
> Say somebody writes a parser that looks for a message/rfc822 part  
> in a report, and ignores any other MIME types.  If they get an ARF  
> report, will that parser be able to continue to pull out the rfc822  
> part and ignore the new ARF stuff without any new logic?

Yes.

(In the field, though, some scomp parsers don't really handle MIME,  
rather
they get overly chummy with the specific details of the message).

Cheers,
   Steve

Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 14:54:21 -0800
From: "J.D. Falk" <[email-masked]>
Organization: Yahoo!
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [feedback-report] MIME question

Here's where I show that I still don't entirely grok MIME.

Say somebody writes a parser that looks for a message/rfc822 part in a 
report, and ignores any other MIME types.  If they get an ARF report, 
will that parser be able to continue to pull out the rfc822 part and 
ignore the new ARF stuff without any new logic?

-- 
J.D. Falk, Anti-Spam Product Manager
Yahoo! Communications Platform Team