Subject: Mailing List Discourse

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 14:05:30 -0400

Over the last couple of days I have received many private emails from 
individuals concerned about the type of discourse they have seen on the 
MARID mailing list, and they are concerned that participation is not a 
valuable use of their time.

Quite simply, the unprofessional behavior has got to stop.

On March 18, we asked the participants of this working group to abide 
by the following etiquette:
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg00358.html

In addition, we ask that you follow this advice in how to comport 
yourselves:

* Unless your name appears on the charter page for the MARID Working 
Group, your role in this working group is as individual participant 
only.  The IETF treats all participants as individuals, not 
representatives of corporations, governments, or other organizations.  
If you feel that you should be treated otherwise, please petition the 
IAB for a formal liaison relationship with the IETF.

* Because all the participants are individuals and represent no 
corporation, government or other type of organization, intimations and 
message subtext regarding the motives and/or hidden agendas of other 
participants will no longer be tolerated.  For a definition of "no 
longer tolerated," please consult BCP 83.

* The persons with names listed on the charter page for the MARID 
Working Group have certain roles and responsibilities for leading 
output of this working group through the IETF standards process.  
Matters of how MARID will interface with the IESG should be left in 
their hands so that participants are free to concentrate on the work of 
the group and not the process.

* Above all else, participants should concentrate their energies on 
creating an interoperable standard.  If MARID fails to emit an 
interoperable standard, everything else done here is for naught.

-andy