Subject: RE: suggested path and arch

From: Edward Lewis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:33:01 -0400

At 21:07 -0700 6/10/04, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
>If you had listened to other people at the face to face rather
>than shouting them down you would know that DNSEXT is not an
>option here.

I'm assuming that DNSEXT is a typo.

What I heard at the face to face, and what was circulated in email at 
the time was that:

Could a new type be entered into existing DNS servers?  The answer 
was yes, there was a survey of DNS implementations on the mailing 
list [0] showing support for new types.  It might require hex 
encoding of the RDATA of the type, but existing name server code is 
able to understand what's been called "an unknown" type.

Could an application on a client be able to query directly for the 
desired type, foregoing the native OS support?  The answer I heard 
was yes except for those clients that are obscured from the Internet 
by an environment that only allowed RPC access to lookup services.

[0] Survey is: http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg01423.html
[1] Claim that this can't be done in Windows:
                http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg01471.html

I can't find an answer to "couldn't a client program just to the 
lookup itself, if the OS didn't support the new type?"
-- 
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Edward Lewis                                            +1-703-227-9854
ARIN Research Engineer

Even the voices inside my head are refusing to talk to me anymore.

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 12 Jun 2004 00:39:09 -0000

>I can't find an answer to "couldn't a client program just do the 

For clients that can exchange UDP packets with the Internet, either
directly or through a DNS cache, almost certainly yes.  For clients
behind RPC-speaking firewalls, nope.

A closely related question that I haven't seen addressed is how hard
it would be to provide a new specialized MARID RPC service to run on
the firewall for the benefit of MARID clients that are in RPC jail.