Subject: RE: Towards resolution on Wildcards

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 16:32:05 -0700

> wayne wrote:
> I mean, really, what's the point of doing XML in TXT
> if Outlook and Exchange don't use it until 2007?

It's not really relevant, here's why. I will compare with using RBL
lists.

First, the Outlook situation and the Exchange situation are not the
same.

Exchange:
---------
At the time Exchange came out, I don't remember anything about RBL
lists. When RBL lists became popular, Exchange did not support them
(that would be 5.5 time frame). I use Exchange, and as of today I don't
even know if it supports checking RBL lists because that's not where I
check them. I begun using BCWare NoSPam
(http://www.bcwaresystems.com/nospam/) with 5.5 and now I am using the
check built in SMSMSE
(http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.com/products/products.cfm?ProductID=
66&EID=0).

Whether Exchange supports RBL lists or not is not relevant to me. This
has not changed with SPF (third-party software being already available,
and support coming into mainstream products) and there is no reason to
believe that this would change for SPFID either.

Outlook:
--------
There it would be nice indeed to have handling that displays a
magnifying glass with a checkmark if the message has been checked by
SPF, and a thumbnail if it comes from a source listed in a reputation
system. However, these can be accommodated by having the SPF engine
inserting a short string at the beginning of the subject, such as
instead of:

wayne  Re: Towards res...

we could have something like:

wayne  (S ) Re: Towards res... Has been SPFID-checked
wayne  ( +) Re: Towards res... Sender is IADB accredited
wayne  (S+) Re: Towards res... Both SPF and IADB
wayne  ( -) Re: Towards res... Bad reputation

The need for integration will come from MTA-side implementation.

Michel.