Subject: RE: MTAmark (was: Reality check please)

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:05:37 -0700

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 02:34:44PM -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> > There are plenty of sites that now accept mail from AOL as genuine
> > because the IP address is correct. Otherwise it goes into the spam
> > filter with a huge penalty attached.
> 
> Wrong strategy.
> 
> I don't want my mailserver to take over responsibility for spam mails.
> And I don't want my users/employees to take over 
> responsibility and have
> them stolen their time and my money (as employer) having them 
> wade around
> in spam mail folders sorting out false positives.

So, it appears that MARID does not solve your problem the way you
would like it to be solved.

So what? MARID solves the problem it was chartered to solve in the 
way it was chartered to solve it.

> We run a very facistic DNSBL. A host sends spam, he gets listed. No
> expire. Sometimes (very rarely) someone comes whining "but we 
> have fixed
> the problem 1 year ago". So what? They harassed me and my users. 

It sounds to me that you are part of the problem that we are trying
to solve here.

---

From: Markus Stumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:23:24 +0200

> would like it to be solved.

Wrong. One draft that the MARID WG has produced and which urban legends
tell will be the MARID standard does not solve the problem in the way I
want it to be solved.

> way it was chartered to solve it.

The draft-marid-core solves it in ONE way. That charter does not give a
way at all to solve the problem and surely it doesn't talk about accept
and rate or reject.
This decision is part of the decision finding process.

> It sounds to me that you are part of the problem that we are trying

With about 100 Mio addresses on the reject block and a straight blocking
rate of 40% connections a day on a 30000 connections a day mailserver
with about 1 complaint per month I don't think I'm too big a problem.

As it looks now MARID will not solve a problem but introduce a bunch of
new ones, but then the charter doesn't say it shouldn't.

	\Maex

-- 
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
"The security, stability and reliability of a computer system is reciprocally
 proportional to the amount of vacuity between the ears of the admin"