Subject: exists element (draft-ietf-marid-core-00)

From: Greg Connor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 07:35:11 -0700

--Jim Lyon <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 5.1.5 "exists" element
>
>    Attributes: None
>    Child Elements: None
>    Character Data: A domain name, with macro expansion.
>
>    This element matches iff the domain given by the character data
>    (after macro expansion) exists in DNS.  If the DNS lookup fails for
>    any reason other than nonexistence, the client authorization function
>    returns "unknown".

This should be clarified as to what type of lookup needs to be done.  I 
believe the current SPF spec says this should be an A record (to make it 
similar to how an RBL works).  The wording in this draft might be 
understood to mean an ANY query should be done, but I'm not sure that's 
what is intended... if it is, that should be clarified.

--
Greg Connor <[email-masked]>

---

From: Greg Connor <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 08:01:50 -0700

--Jim Lyon <[email-masked]> wrote:

> 12. Acknowledgements
>
>    Variations on the idea of using a DNS record to check the legitimacy
>    of an email address have occurred multiple times. The earliest known
>    work is [RMX]; others include [SPF} and [CallerID].
>
>    The current document borrows heavily from each of the above, and
>    incorporates many ideas proposed by many members of the MARID working
>    group.

I am not sure, but I seem to remember Andrew Church published a draft for 
MS records that predates RMX.

There was also a proposal by Paul Vixie but I don't know if it was 
published.

---

From: "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 10:53:39 -0400

> MS records that predates RMX.

http://www.rnp.br/ietf/internet-drafts/draft-church-dns-mail-sender-02.txt

  August, 2002.

  Hadmut's -00 of RMX was Dec, 2002.

http://www.danisch.de/work/security/antispam.html

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:58:58 +0100

> http://www.danisch.de/work/security/antispam.html

Yes, according to IETF-Announce it was 2002-12-3.