Subject: RE: Alternative to TXT or new RR

From: "Jim Lyon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:24:58 -0700

> Therefore, RPC-to-publisher is at least as capable as SPF-like
schemes.
There are a lot of small domains out there.  I believe that we can get
many of them to take 5 minutes to add a DNS record.  But getting them to
install new software, and configure a new web service, is way past the
ability of many of them.

-- Jim Lyon

---

From: "Eric A. Hall" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:33:26 -0500

> install new software, and configure a new web service, is way past the

They wouldn't be enforcing a reciever-side enforcement system either.

If they don't think that forgery is enough of a problem for them to bother
enforcing, then they've abstained.

-- 
Eric A. Hall                                        http://www.ehsco.com/
Internet Core Protocols          http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/coreprot/

---

From: Aredridel <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:03:42 -0600

> install new software, and configure a new web service, is way past the

Absolutely. Rolling out SPF records took me all of forty minutes -- for
the several hundred domains I host. That included testing.  I couldn't
get a new service up that quickly.

Ari

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:04:59 +0100

> install new software, and configure a new web service, is way past the

Then they'd need to rely on the services of a third party (which is what
might happen with reputation services anyway), or not benefit. So this
isn't, on the face of it, a meaningful objection.