Subject: RE: Sender identification is not the answer

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 17:23:12 -0700

The problem of spam is due to a lack of accountability.

At the dawn of the Internet you could be thrown off for starting a
discussion list about wine (according to Dertusos).

The question is at what level is that accountability to be applied?
Certainly not the individual user, and it is only the individual
who has either the right to or expectation of privacy.

There is no problem here. It is the parties that provide connectivity 
to the Internet that are to be held accountable, not the individual.

All email requires authentication. Genuinely anonymous email goes
straight into my bit bucket via that spam filter. Nobody accepts
anonymous email, never did, never will. Email that is authenticated
to a psudeonym is not anonymous.

---

From: "Gordon Fecyk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:45:17 -0500

> Like the war on terror, this war on spam is causing us to 
> lose focus and
> make the assumption that the solution is to punish everyone, restrict
> everyone's freedom, and monitor everyone's actions since we may all be
> spammers.

You forgot the patriotic music in this post - you need a good tune like The
Graduate March, America The Beautiful, God Save the Queen or maybe The Star
Spangled Banner to really hit home with _this_ speech.

/me ducks

-- 
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/[email-masked]>
Sometimes it's hard to tell where the game ends and where reality bites,
er, begins. <http://vmyths.com/resource.cfm?id=50&page=1>