Subject: RE: draft-ietf-marid-submitter-01.txt

From: "Harry Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:48:36 -0700

On Monday, June 28, 2004 5:30 PM, Matthew Elvey
[mailto:[email-masked]] wrote:

> Still isn't clear to me.  You've still got a MAY in the first 
> paragraph, followed by a SHOULD in the second.  One should 
> have precedence (also I don't see why one is MAY and the 
> other SHOULD).

OK, here's a proposed revision to the two paragraphs in 4.2 we've been
discussing:

   If the above tests indicate that the connecting SMTP client is not
   authorized to transmit e-mail messages on behalf of the SUBMITTER
   domain, the receiving SMTP server SHOULD reject the message using 
   "550 5.7.1 Submitter not allowed."  

   If the receiving SMTP server allows the connecting SMTP client to
   transmit message data, then the server SHOULD determine the purported
   responsible address of the message by examining the RFC 2822 message
   headers as described in [SENDER-ID].  If this purported responsible
   address does not match the address appearing in the SUBMITTER 
   parameter, the receiving SMTP server MUST reject the message using 
   "550 5.7.1 Submitter does not match header."

So there is an ordering here: 

- First, the receiver checks the to see if the SUBMITTER domain passes
the Sender ID check.  

- Second, if the receiver decides to accept message data (either because
SUBMITTER passed the check, or because SUBMITTER failed the check but
the receiver decided to accept message data anyway) then the receiver
should ensure the SUBMITTER value matches the PRA and reject if there's
a mismatch. 

> Got the s/firm/entity/ fix?

Yes.

---

From: Matthew Elvey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:20:14 -0700

>OK, here's a proposed revision to the two paragraphs in 4.2 we've been
That works.

>>Got the s/firm/entity/ fix?
Good.

Here's another issue:

>4. The SUBMITTER Parameter of the MAIL Command 
>
>   If the SMTP server supports the SUBMITTER extension, then the SMTP 
>   client MAY include the SUBMITTER parameter in MAIL commands issued 
>   during the SMTP session.   
>
Change to MUST when != From?