Subject: RE: Against Extensibility in MARID Records

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:08:38 -0700

> o Possible 3rd party or Microsoft proprietary or undocumented 
> extensions:
> 
> This one presents what I believe is an ethical and moral 
> business dilemma.

I think it represents an oppotunity.

I was speaking to Vint the other day about the early days
of the Internet. The model then was experiment, deploy, write
up the results.

NOTHING in the original intent of the founders of the IETF
was meant to discourage ANY party from experimentation.

The model you appear to be advocating here is discuss, agree
the standard, get permission, see if it works. That was the 
OSI model.

Given the application, I cannot see how anyone could insert
information into their DNS that would be relevant in the MARID
context if it were undocumented or was not widely supported.