Subject: RE: alternate submitter syntax

From: "Terje Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 14:02:23 +1000

TP> When I hit reply I expect to be corresponding with the PRA. 

MW> That would be funny, because the PRA should be [email-masked],
MW> which is yourself!

TP> No! According to your example I am [email-masked]. 
TP> You have not addressed the issue.

---

From: Meng Weng Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:32:01 -0400

On Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 02:02:23PM +1000, Terje Petersen wrote:
|  
| TP> When I hit reply I expect to be corresponding with the PRA. 
| 
| 
| MW> That would be funny, because the PRA should be [email-masked],
| MW> which is yourself!
| 
| 
| TP> No! According to your example I am [email-masked]. 
| TP> You have not addressed the issue. 
| 

OK, then, if you are [email-masked], who is [email-masked]?

I originally said:

  In the forwarding case, where

    [email-masked] sends mail to [email-masked]
			  [email-masked] forwards to [email-masked],

  When c.com receives the message, it sees

    MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]> SUBMITTER=<[email-masked]>

  Due to the nature of the forwarding relationship, [email-masked]
  and [email-masked] can be said to represent the same entity.

---

From: Robert Barclay <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:58:14 -0600

> TP> You have not addressed the issue. 

In the original example [email-masked] and [email-masked] are the same person. [email-masked] 
is an address that only exists to forward mail on to [email-masked]. If you, as 
[email-masked] sent a reply there, it would just get forwarded back to you. 
This case is I would guess the main reason why the Sender and Resent- 
headers exist.

There are a number of identities in an email. In 2822 there are From, 
Reply-to, Sender, and Resent-From to name a few. In 2821 there is 
currently the, HELO domain, the MAIL FROM and now the proposed 
SUBMITTER. The reason for all of these is that there are legitimate 
cases where these identities will differ. (SUBMITTER actually must be 
the same as one of the 2822 headers chosen via the PRA algorithm, but it 
is not gauranteed to always equal any one of them). The debate in this 
group has not been about whether it should be possible to represent the 
fact that lots of people may touch and claim some level of 
responsibility for an email between the end points. It has been about 
which of those identities to check and how.

Robert