Subject: RE: SUBMITTER extra information

From: "Terje Petersen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:27:03 +1000

Some (re-) submitting system may want to notify receiving system some
extra
information about precedence / priority of messages.

Examples
* Forwarders may run spam filters and know submitting message is
suspicious
* Postcards/'Send-link-to-friends services may know submitting user is
anonymous or may be forged
* Something else 

Extension like
MAIL FROM:<[email-masked]>
SUBMITTER:<[email-masked]>
EXTRA="junk"
will be (imho) useful in this case
List of available must be reserved (may be JUNK, LIST, SUSPICIOUS,
ANONYMOUS, FIRST-CLASS), usage of extra info may be unspecified,
receiving
server can interpret extra info by his own rules and/or reputation
services.

Thank you,
Pavel
 
--
Pavel A. Zavyalov

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Isn't this beyond the scope of MARID. There is a danger in trying to
solve
every problem at once. MARID should focus on solving spoofing and
phishing 
using authentication of the sender (or the senders domain at least). 

I can also think of lots of cool extras that it would be nice to
introduce 
into the mail standards. However I don't believe that this is the forum
in 
which to do it. 

Forwarders today have no formal mechanism to do what you are suggesting.

SUBMITTER does not break anything. It seems that you are just trying to 
piggy back some new functionality on top of an already complex proposal.
I apologise if this is an incorrect reading however it is what it
appears
to be.  

I suspect that you are introducing MISSION CREEP into the objectives of 
MARID. Tell me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Terje Petersen.