Subject: Re: Licensing issue

From: John Glube <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:14:58 +0000 (UTC)

This post is made further to the earlier posts on this topic. I have been 
monitoring this list for some time. One issue which has cropped up is the 
licensing question.

What I am about to write is perhaps obvious.

Email is a fundamental part of the Internet. Spam threatens the very viability 
of email. Selection and timely implementation of a standard for sender 
authentication will enhance the Internet experience by helping to deal with 
this scourge.

I understand the desired goal is to have a standard which creates a base for a 
solution against email fraud and forgery and allows for implementation as 
quickly as possible.

Some proponents have made known claims of Intellectual property rights. 
Concern has been expressed as to how these claims and the granting of a 
royalty free license might have on the acceptance of any standard put forward 
by the IETF.

Also, there may be competing claims in the case of one proposal.

The Internet Society provides leadership in addressing issues that confront 
the future of the Internet, serving as the international organization for 
global coordination and cooperation on the Internet.

I believe all participants in the present process are acting in good faith. 

Certainly, it would be ideal in the case of Sender-ID to resolve all claims, 
with users having a GNU General Public License, if required, in the event the 
IETF decides to select this proposal as the base standard.

This would certainly enhance community acceptance by showing clear goodwill, 
while avoiding any potential for misconception.

However, this needs to happen on a timely basis.

If not, perhaps it is in the best interests of the Internet and to enhance the 
desired objective, keeping in mind the general policy as set out in section 
3.1 of RFC 3688 and the evaluation criteria as found in section 8 of this 
document, for the Sender-ID proponents to drop the PRA algorithm.

This allows for a clear field, permitting the IETF to select the base standard 
which best suits the Internet.

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC Calls For One Standard For Sender Authentication
http://www.learnsteps4profit.com/dne.html