Subject: RE: MARID to close

From: "Markley, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:21:50 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] 
> [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ted Hardie
> Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 9:31 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Scott Hollenbeck
> Subject: MARID to close
> 
> Rather than spin in place, the working group chairs and Area Advisor 
> believe that the
> best way forward is experimentation with multiple proposals and a 
> subsequent review of deployment experience.  The working group chairs 
> and Area Advisor intend to ask that the editors of existing working 
> group drafts put forward their documents as non-working group 
> submissions for Experimental RFC status. Given the importance of the 
> world-wide email and DNS systems, it is critical that IETF-sponsored 
> experimental proposals likely to see broad deployment contain no 
> mechanisms that would have deleterious effects on the overall system. 
> The Area Directors intend, therefore, to request that the 
> experimental proposals be reviewed by a focused technology 
> directorate. This review group has not yet been formed but, as with 
> all directorates, its membership will be publicly listed at 
> http://www.ietf.org/u/ietfchair/directorates.html once it has been 
> constituted. 

Should this be construed to mean that there's still the hope and
intention to someday producing a standards-track RFC for IP-based sender
authentication? Despite the misgivings of those who think that IP-based
schemes are pointless in the face of other efforts at cryptographic
solutions, there are obviously many who think they're useful enough, and
a "real" standard would be a great thing.

-- 
Mike Markley <[email-masked]> 
UNIX Email Admin, Electronic Communications

---

From: "william(at)elan.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:40:31 -0700 (PDT)

> a "real" standard would be a great thing.

I think the answer given by IETF is that there can not be found at this
time one solution that would reach consensus of all participants and 
that they will accept several solutions for EXPERIMENTAL track RFCs
and after certain time and would like to see these solutions being
deployed and compare the results. I would expect after one or two
years one or more of these solutions that shows good results in
its deployment maybe reconsidered for STANDARD track.

IETF also specifically said that only solutions that are compatible
with technical specs of existing RFCs would be considered even for 
experimental RFCs (directorate to be formed to decide if proposal
moves forward or not).

-- 
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
[email-masked]

---

From: Andrew Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:55:11 -0400

On Sep 22, 2004, at 5:21 PM, Markley, Mike wrote:

> authentication?

Absolutely.

-andy