Subject: Re: Sendmail releases open source Sender ID milter for testing

From: Kevin Peuhkurinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 09:30:31 -0400

Yes, they have the permission of the copyright holders, but they do not 
have a license from the (alleged) patent holder.   I don't think that 
the definition of "distribute" means any different in copyright law than 
in patent law.   If you distribute software that contains patented 
technology without a license, you are still running afoul of the law 
regardless of what the copyright holder says.

Ryan Malayter wrote:

>[Arnt Gulbrandsen]
>  
>
>>If you think offering software downloads to the general public isn't 
>>redistributing, I dare you to put your Windows CDs on your web site.
>>    
>>
>
>There's a big difference between the situations: Sourceforge is being
>used as a transmission agent by, and is authorized by, the copyright
>holders of the Sendmail software. If I posted my Windows CDs, I would be
>transmitting the software without MS's permission.
>
>I think the "courier" analogy I used before still applies.
>
>	-Ryan-
>
>
>  
>

---

From: "Ryan Malayter" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 08:01:01 -0500

[Arnt Gulbrandsen]

	-Ryan-