Subject: RE: Disappointed

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 09:44:48 -0700

> From: Andrew Newton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Sep 22, 2004, at 9:36 PM, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> 
> > Those arguing that the ITU take over responsibility for Internet
> > standards will probably cite this result as evidence.
> 
> FUD!

But possibly effective FUD. As I said to Harald after the plenary where
this was mentioned, what exactly do the ITU imagine that they would
do if they managed to take over the IETF? Who do they think would listen?

---

From: [email-masked] (Wietse Venema)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 14:13:26 -0400 (EDT)

> do if they managed to take over the IETF? Who do they think would listen?

Perhaps the non-trivial portion of Internet providers that are
affiliated with or part of a telecom provider, other technology
producing organizations that are represented in ITU, and the
governments of the 189 ITU member states.

	Wietse

---

From: John Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Sep 2004 18:17:04 -0000

>But possibly effective FUD. As I said to Harald after the plenary
>where this was mentioned, what exactly do the ITU imagine that they
>would do if they managed to take over the IETF? Who do they think
>would listen?

Based on conversations with people at and since the ITU WSIS spam
meeting in Geneva, the ITU has no interest whatsoever in taking over
the IETF.  They got burned on X.400 and they thoroughly understand
both how hard it is to make data network standards and why it is not
in their interest to do so for the TCP/IP world.

They would like to stay in closer touch so that they can recommend to
their government members that they implement relevant IETF standards
and the like.

Regards,
John Levine, [email-masked], Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY
http://www.taugh.com