Subject: DEPLOY: On the IPR debate

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 02:12:25 -0400

Just a few comments...

First of all, the final call period is only a few days away. Lets get 
our hands cracking and see if we can get any remaining technical issues 
out of the woodwork and bring them to the attention of the group. Even 
if some of us are against it on IPR principles, we can still look at the 
technical aspects. The IPR issue is on the table, the chairs are very 
well aware of it, and everyone's opinion is on record. It may very well 
happen that the IPR issues may end up being resolved.

Second, the IETF standards process is not a "all or nothing" decision. 
Approval by the WG is only the first step. There is still IESG approval 
with its own final call period, which may bring additional comments and 
requests for changes from the wider community. Code still remains to be 
written and tested, possibly adjusting the standard. The standard will 
only be in "Proposed" stage anyway for a while, and may very well 
change. And of course, we probably will be forced to make changes in 
order to close loopholes that spammers will manage to find. We got a 
long road ahead of us, full of coding, testing and making adjustments. 
Lets not lose sight of that.

Yakov