Subject: Re: Some stats on TXT usage in domain names (updated)

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:21:13 -0500

In late May and late June, I conducted surveys of a list of 1.3
million email domains found in a spammer's list.  Yesterday, I ran
another survey to see how things have progressed.

There was a net increase of 5729 domains with SPF records, a 68.5%
increase in the last three months.  SPF records are by far the most
common type of TXT record usage, and if trends continue, SPF records
will represent over half of all TXT records atthe domain level by
early next year.

1289260 total domain names  (same as last time)
  39205 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
  14089 have SPF records -> 35.9% of all domain level TXT records are
        spf records.

  34932 domains have txt records

  99702 spf_domains adoption roll

Earlier stats as a reference:

In <[email-masked]> wayne <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1289260 total domain names  (same as last time)
>   35115 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
>    8360 have SPF records -> 23.8% of all domain level TXT records are
>         spf records.
>
>   26359 domains have txt records
>
>   18968 spf_domains adoption roll
>
>      87 have Caller-ID records
>
>
>
> Last months stats as a reference:
>
> In <[email-masked]> wayne <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> 1289260 total domain names
>>   33016 total TXT records found (some domains have more than one)
>>    6320 have SPF records -> 19.1% of all domain level TXT records are
>>         spf records
>>
>>   26359 domains have txt records
>>    6315 domains have spf records
>>
>>    1456 domains found that were also in the adopt roll -> 23.0%
>>
>>   14192 spf_domains adoption roll
>>
>>   61554 estimated domains have SPF records.  (This probably misses
>>         most parked domains, of which I have heard rumors that there
>>         are a least a couple hundred thousand with SPF records.
>>
>>       82 have Caller-ID records
>>       57 have both Caller-ID records and SPF records
>>       45 have "testing=true" in the C-ID records.
>>       25 have C-ID records only, of which three (10%) are microsoft.com,
>>          exchange.microsoft.com and hotmail.com
>>