Subject: DEPLOY: Postfix MTA position

From: [email-masked] (Wietse Venema)
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:54:09 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to adopt Sender-ID support into the open source Postfix
MTA.  However, Postfix Sender-ID deployment is practical only if
Postfix developers, (re)distributors and users are comfortable with
the Sender-ID licensing agreement.

In order to make Sender-ID adoption practical for Postfix, the
licensing conditions would need to change so that no license
application is required to modify, (re)distribute, or use the PRA
algorithm for the purpose of email Sender-ID authentication, in
source or binary form.

It would be desirable, but not necessary, that I can implement and
distribute Postfix source code with Sender-ID support, without
having to apply for a PRA license.

It is entirely acceptable if Microsoft wants to maintain control
over other uses of their patent, should their application succeed.

Having gone to similar pains when Postfix was released before IBM
had developed an open source release process, I wish the people at
Microsoft all the best in their efforts to get the license issues
straightened out.

        Wietse Venema