Subject: DOC-BUG: We need another document: Use of EDNS0 in recursive servers

From: Roy Badami <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 18:15:28 +0100

Nonetheless, Sender-ID compliant sites MUST use DNS recursive servers
   that support EDNS0 [RFC2671] and [RFC3226] in order to be able to
   receive large DNS RR sets

I'm not sure this is exactly right.  I assume that the intent is not
to _require_ applications to use recursive servers (eg an
implementation might incorporate its own EDNS0-compliant full-service
resolver).

I'm also rather uneasy about the notion of a 'sender-ID compliant
site'.

I think that the notion of a compliant site probably belongs in a BCP;
standards track RFCs define protocols, not standards that sites should
meet.

Unfortunately you need that (or a similar) notion to say what you want
to say; the Sender ID implementation doesn't have to support EDNS0
itself; the systems administrator at the site just has to point it an
an EDNS0-compliant recursive server.

I realize that it's a bit late to be suggesting that we need _another_
draft, but IMHO that's where such a requirement belongs.

FWIW, it could be a very short draft :-)

	-roy