Subject: Re: (DEPLOY) In Support of Sender ID

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 09:24:16 +0200

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 03:06:49PM -0700, Rand Wacker wrote:
> 
> For this reason, it may end up being the case that Sender ID can not
> reliably prevent spoofing for messages that take complex paths; but there
> is some solace in that these complex paths are usually managed by the
> *receiver*.

But what prevents a malicious individual to either set up such complex
path himself or pretend that the message is travelling through such a
complex path? As I understand it, the 2822 headers are easy to make up
yourself (in fact, the senderid documents endorse doing this), which
makes it easy to fool the senderid check.

Koen

-- 
K.F.J. Martens, Sonologic, http://www.sonologic.nl/
Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.
Public PGP key: http://www.metro.cx/pubkey-gmc.asc
Wondering about the funny attachment your mail program
can't read? Visit http://www.openpgp.org/