Subject: IANAL and neither are you

From: Daniel Quinlan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:48:09 -0700

(well, except for Anne)

All you non-lawyers should consult with your attorney before reading
patents because most non-lawyers (like me) don't know much about
patents.  I'm guessing some of you don't have a lawyer you can consult
with because he or she probably would have kicked your ass already.

  http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2002/4/8/22291/81741/27#27

I have yet to meet a lawyer *anywhere* who would disagree with the
sentiment expressed in that post.

Daniel

-- 
Daniel Quinlan                     ApacheCon! 13-17 November (3 SpamAssassin
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/  http://www.apachecon.com/  sessions & more)

---

From: Roy Badami <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:56:18 +0100

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Quinlan <[email-masked]> writes:

    Daniel> I have yet to meet a lawyer *anywhere* who would disagree
    Daniel> with the sentiment expressed in that post.

If you're refering to the sentiment that reading the patent may
increase your liability, then there appears to be one lawyer on this
list who disagrees.

In http://www.imc.org/ietf-mxcomp/mail-archive/msg04982.html Anne
argues that _failing_ to read the patent may increase your liability.

       -roy