Subject: RE: TECH-ERROR: SenderID sets recomendation for forwarders that are not compatible with RFC 2822

From: Danny Angus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 09:05:02 +0100

William at elan wrote:

> I note that in above quoted text RFC2822 seems to indicate that use of
> Resent fields is only appropriate if message is reitroduced by the user
> (and its not clear how that implies in case of MTA is doing forwarding
> as in example I provided above). Additionally it seems to imply that
> Resent fields have the same meaning as original fields which I take
> as position that Resent-From field may only be used by user who is
> willing to become new author of the message (but does not make any
> alterations to the content when forwarding the message). I do not
> believe this applies to the case when user is the original recepient
> and when MTA automaticly uses his email when adding Resent-From.

However you could argue, and I would, that particularly in the case of
~/.forward and any kind of aliases that the user themselves have
re-introduced the message into the mechanism.

It may be an automated action, but it is in response to the users
instruction (or the instruction of someone acting on their behalf) it just
happens to be a "standing order" rather than an explicit decision per
message.

I'd also strongly support the notion that the user had reintroduced the
message by knowingly sending a mail to a mechanism designed to re-introduce
it to the system, such as a mailinglist.

d.

***************************************************************************
The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limi!
 ted.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

**************************************************************************