Subject: MEDIA: Revised Sender ID does not impress Apache, Debian

From: "william(at)elan.net" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:00:07 -0800 (PST)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/Breaking/Revised-Sender-ID-does-not-impress-Apache-Debian/2004/11/04/1099362268484.html?oneclick=true
 Revised Sender ID does not impress Apache, Debian
 By Sam Varghese
 November 4, 2004 - 11:43AM

 The Apache Software Foundation and the Debian GNU/Linux Project have given 
 the revised Sender ID draft submitted by Microsoft a thumbs-down, with 
 both saying that the changes effectively meant nothing.
 ...
 In a statement, a Debian spokesman said the changes which had been made 
 did not look promising.
 ...
 A spokesman for the Apache Software Foundation said that unfortunately, 
 these changes in the FAQ did not actually alter the terms of the licence.

 "It may be possible to implement portions of the specification without a 
 licence from Microsoft, but Microsoft has indicated their intention to 
 promote the encumbered portions of the specification (PRA) and use their 
 considerable influence to cripple the the unencumbered alternative (MAIL 
 FROM)," the spokesman [for the Apache Foundation] said.

--- 
William Leibzon
Elan Networks
[email-masked]