Subject: draft-katz-submitter-00

From: "Harry Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:51:19 -0800

The attached Sender ID specification, draft-katz-submitter-00, is being
submitted to the IETF as an experimental Internet draft along with
draft-lyon-senderid-pra-00 and draft-lyon-senderid-core-00. 

These three drafts capture discussions held during the last few weeks of
the MARID working group, as well as some subsequent feedback we've
received. In summary, we've made two key changes to the Sender ID
Framework:

1. The Sender ID Framework now allows receiving systems to choose which
identity to validate; either the RFC2821 MAIL FROM address (aka
"envelope from") or the purported responsible address (PRA) derived from
RFC2822 message headers. 

2. Sender ID is now backward compatible with any published SPF records
in DNS. These records can be used for both MAIL FROM and PRA checks. We
believe that the information that most sending domains need to publish
in DNS will be the same for both checks. However domains which need to
publish different IP addresses for each test can do so using a revised
version of the SPF record syntax.

Note that these specifications refer to draft-lentczner-spf-00 for the
definition of the SPF record format and protocol. 

This draft won't appear on the IETF web site until after the IETF
meeting in Washington, D.C. Until then, here's the text version. A PDF
version is available at http://www.microsoft.com/senderid
<http://www.microsoft.com/senderid> . 

Thanks.