Subject: draft-lyon-senderid-pra-00

From: "Harry Katz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:51:01 -0800

The attached Sender ID specification, draft-lyon-senderid-pra-00, is
being submitted to the IETF as an experimental Internet draft along with
draft-lyon-senderid-core-00 and draft-katz-submitter-00. 

These three drafts capture discussions held during the last few weeks of
the MARID working group, as well as some subsequent feedback we've
received. In summary, we've made two key changes to the Sender ID
Framework:

1. The Sender ID Framework now allows receiving systems to choose which
identity to validate; either the RFC2821 MAIL FROM address (aka
"envelope from") or the purported responsible address (PRA) derived from
RFC2822 message headers. 

2. Sender ID is now backward compatible with any published SPF records
in DNS. These records can be used for both MAIL FROM and PRA checks. We
believe that the information that most sending domains need to publish
in DNS will be the same for both checks. However domains which need to
publish different IP addresses for each test can do so using a revised
version of the SPF record syntax.

Note that these specifications refer to draft-lentczner-spf-00 for the
definition of the SPF record format and protocol. 

This draft won't appear on the IETF web site until after the IETF
meeting in Washington, D.C.  Until then, the text version is attached. A
PDF version is available at http://www.microsoft.com/senderid
<http://www.microsoft.com/senderid> . 

Thanks.

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 22:30:39 -0500 (EST)

Unless I missed something, the MARID working group is shutdown, so it can
no longer consider drafts. It was my understanding that this list was kept
active for discussion only.  Did the MARID WG start up again? 

		--Dean

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000

---

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 23:21:45 -0600

> active for discussion only.  Did the MARID WG start up again? 

If the MARID WG started up again, it would be a shock to me.

Note that the pointers to the I-Ds that Harry kindly posted are
draft-lyon-* rather than the draft-marid-* which would indicate MARID
involvement.  This is simply following through on the co-chair's
suggestion when this WG was shut down that the authors submit
individual I-Ds.

Speaking of which, does anyone know anything about the Directorate
that was supposed to be set up?  Last time I asked, it was suggested
that nothing much would be done until IETF-61, which seems reasonable.

-wayne

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:47:50 -0500 (EST)

> suggestion when this WG was shut down that the authors submit

Ah. I see. I missed the -lyon- part. That makes sense, now. Thanks.