Subject: Re: Complaint on personal attack by Matthew Elvey

From: Danny Angus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:28:44 +0000

Dean

At the risk of provoking you further I would say that Matthew's post is not
particularly unfair.
You do indeed appear to hold views on dealing with spam at odds with very
many others, and you communicate that robustly.

Matthew reminds us of views you have expressed in public, in fact I
remember reading them first time round.
You can't complain about that surely?

I admit that he could have worded this more tactfully, as an attack on what
your opinion rather than your personality,
but sometimes it becomes necessary for our sanity to cut through the crap
and get on with the work in hand.

You should perhaps consider whether your reaction is more likely to
engender yourself to others or to reinforce Matthew's point.

d.

***************************************************************************
The information in this e-mail is confidential and for use by the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient (or responsible for delivery of the message to the intended recipient) please notify us immediately on 0141 306 2050 and delete the message from your computer. You may not copy or forward it or use or disclose its contents to any other person. As Internet communications are capable of data corruption Student Loans Company Limited does not accept any  responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent. For this reason it may be inappropriate to rely on advice or opinions contained in an e-mail without obtaining written confirmation of it. Neither Student Loans Company Limited or the sender accepts any liability or responsibility for viruses as it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any). Opinions and views expressed in this e-mail are those of the sender and may not reflect the opinions and views of The Student Loans Company Limi!
 ted.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept for the presence of computer viruses.

**************************************************************************

---

From: Dean Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 11:12:09 -0500 (EST)

> many others, and you communicate that robustly.

"At odds" with zealots perhaps.  But I've been in this business a long 
time, and have been dealing with nutty zealots for many, many years.

> You can't complain about that surely?

I complain about the attack. He doesn't dispute the views.  If he had 
facts to dispute them, he would present them. Instead, he just says they 
should be ignored.  Facts being far too inconvenient for radicals.

> I admit that he could have worded this more tactfully, as an attack on
> what your opinion rather than your personality, but sometimes it becomes
> necessary for our sanity to cut through the crap and get on with the
> work in hand.

Yes, I'm all for cutting through the crap.

> engender yourself to others or to reinforce Matthew's point.

The point that is made by my complaint is that Matthew has no point.

If he had a point, he would have made it, rather than engage in personal
attack.  Personal attack is the method of those who don't want to admit 
they are wrong.

-- 
Av8 Internet   Prepared to pay a premium for better service?
www.av8.net         faster, more reliable, better service
617 344 9000