Subject: A request for your support of: hutzler-spamops-05.txt

From: Carl Hutzler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:25:49 -0500

All:

Dave Crocker, Pete Resnick, Robert Sanders, Eric Allman and I pulled 
together a BCP (Best Practices) document as a result of a number of 
discussions between some ASRG members and the old ASTA (antispam 
technical alliance) group. The latest version of the document is 
published on the MIP Association site and has been submitted to the 
IETF. We have gone through 5 drafts now with reasonable review during 
each stage.

Document locations:
http://mipassoc.org/spamops/draft-hutzler-spamops-05.txt
http://ietfreport.isoc.org/all-ids/draft-hutzler-spamops-05.txt

If you are not familiar with the document, the main ideas expressed are how:
1) To improve lines of *accountability* for controlling abusive uses of 
the Internet mail service. (when abuse happens, which party is responsible)

2) To provide recommendations for *constructive operational policies* 
between independent operators of email transmission services including 
the submission (or posting) of email into the transmission network 
(certainly very relevant to the deployment of DKIM and other email 
authentication type technologies)

We are at a stage in the life cycle of this document where it would be 
helpful to see a renewed support from the technical community.

*So how can you help?  Simple!
*
Just reply back to me or any of the authors (email addresses available 
in the document itself) with a couple of words of support:
- how this document might help you justify doing the right thing (maybe 
to your management)
- how this document helps establish inter-isp best practices and 
breakdown of responsibilities for abuse situations
- how this document helps establish important operational practices in 
the area of Email Authentication deployment
- other?

We will pull together the words of support and provide them to Bert 
Wijnen as a way to show the level of interest in getting this thing 
through. (FYI, Bert Wijnen is the Operations and Management Area 
Director we have been working with on this final stage.)

Thank you in advance,
Carl (on behalf of all of the authors)

-- 
Carl Hutzler
Director, Host Mail Development
America Online
[email-masked]
703.265.5521 work
703.915.6862 cell