Subject: [martini] Protocol Action: 'Registration for Multiple Phone Numbers in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-martini-gin-13.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:01:41 -0800

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Registration for Multiple Phone Numbers in the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP)'
  (draft-ietf-martini-gin-13.txt) as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Multiple AoR reachabiliTy InformatioN
Indication Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Gonzalo Camarillo and Robert Sparks.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-martini-gin/

Technical Summary

This document defines a mechanism by which a SIP server acting as a
traditional Private Branch Exchange (SIP-PBX) can register with a SIP
Service Provider (SSP) to receive phone calls for UAs designated by
phone numbers. The mechanism requires that the multiple AoRs being
registered are each globally unique, which is the case for fully qualified
AoRs representing E.164 numbers.

Working Group Summary

Since this document relates to the registration of multiple AoRs in
a single exchange, much of the discussion centered around the
implications and limitations of the scheme. In particular, there
was extensive discussion on potential requirements for globally
reachable contact URIs, as well as the circumstances under
which the multiple AoRs being registered would each be globally
unique. Although the globally unique AoR requirement can be
met for email-style URIs as well as URIs representing E.164
numbers, this document chooses to focus on URIs representing
E.164 numbers only.

Document Quality

The document has been reviewed by participants within the IETF MARTINI WG,
including SIP service providers as well as representatives from the PBX vendor
community. It has gone through MARTINI WG last call.

Personnel

Bernard Aboba is the document shepherd for this document.
Gonzalo Camarillo is the responsible AD.