Subject: [mdnsext] Announce

From: Kerry Lynn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 10:12:26 -0400

Greetings,

With the (hopefully) imminent approval of DNS-SD and mDNS as Proposed
Standards, the time appears to be right to begin discussing extensions to
these widely deployed protocols.

This list now has over 100 subscribers; there are significant communities
of interest, including the signatories to the Educause petition
https://www.change.org/petitions/from-educause-higher-ed-wireless-networking-admin-group
;
and vendors are bringing ad-hoc mDNS extensions to market in response
to this demand.

A BoF has been approved for IETF 85 (see "Extensions to the Bonjour
protocol suite" at http://wiki.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/) and it is hoped we
have
enough critical mass to begin working on DNS-SD/mDNS extensions as
a community.  The BoF is scheduled for Tuesday, 6 Nov, 1520 - 1650
in Grand Ballroom C and we hope to see you there.

The draft charter/scope of work is very high level at this point:

The MDNSEXT working group will develop extensions to DNS-SD/mDNS
suitable for:

1. Enterprise networks
2. Academic/Educational/University networks
3. Multi-link home networks, such as those envisaged by HOMENET*
4. Multi-link/single subnet (mesh) networks, such as ROLL/6LoWPAN subnets

* It is the intention that MDNSEXT develop a DNS-based solution that
  is suitable for these four network environments, including the
  HOMENET case.  Of course the HOMENET WG is free to evaluate whether
  or not to adopt the MDNSEXT solution, or develop an alternative.

Your comments on this and the draft problem statement/requirements in
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lynn-mdnsext-requirements are
appreciated.

-K-