Subject: Re: [mdnsext] draft-lynn-mdnsext-requirements-00

From: "Yi Yang (yiya)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 22:34:06 +0000

For the user interface, in addition that it should be short and showing only alive/reachable/authorized services, it would be nice to support sorting as well, no matter if the sorting logic resides on client or proxy.

Yi

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2012 20:33:47 -0500

Kelly,
some minor edits that I suggest:

>   In response to this and similar evidence of market demand, several
>   companies have recently announced "Bonjour gateway" products that
>   allow service discovery beyond the local link.  However, these were

for longevity:
>   In response to this and similar evidence of market demand, several
>   companies have announced "Bonjour gateway" products in 2012 that
>   allow service discovery beyond the local link.  However, these were

(could be mid-2013 before the document gets published)

>   o  Airplay does not work when Apple TV's and Apple client devices
>   are

could we have Airplay [X] with a URL to tell the heathens among you what
this does, and how it works?

>2.2.  Low Power and Lossy Networks (LLNs)
>
>   Emerging wireless mesh networking technologies such as RPL/6LoWPAN
>   [RFC4944] [RFC6550] present several challenges for the current DNS-

change to:
>   [RFC4944] [RFC6550] ("LLNs") present several challenges for the current DNS-

>   SD/mDNS design.  First, "local link" is defined as a node's one-hop
>   neighbors.  This effectively means that a mesh is a multi-link
>   single-prefix subnet and that link-local multicast scope is
>   insufficient to span it.

Add to this:
    Recent work in [draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast] may restore
    subnet-specific multi-cast, there are costs to supporting this,
    and if a very low-cost multi-link mDNS solution existed, it could be
    deployed to LLN routing nodes.

>   Not only is subnet-scoped multicast difficult on such networks, but
>   low-power nodes may be offline for significant periods either because
>   they are "sleeping" or due to connectivity problems.  In such cases
>   LLN nodes might fail to defend their names using the current design.

add to this:
    However, for LLNs that include a controller (such as 802.15.4
    networks using ZigBee 2012), the 6lowpan ND/DAD replacement includes
    an always available whiteboard which could also include mDNS
    registrations.   This facility is not universal to LLNs [XXX I think]

>   REQ04: Suitable for both local (zero-config) and global (minimal
>   config) use.

do you really want to say "global"?  I think you mean to say, 
"within an Enterprise", or "within an AS".  I do not think that
University of Wisconsin students need to see printers at University of
Toronto...

-- 
Michael Richardson
-on the road-