Subject: [mdnsext] Educause petition in requirements document

From: Matthew Gast <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 06:59:11 +0000

The Educause petition serves as a valuable input into the problem
statement, but the feedback was phrased in terms of a specific set of
products and the protocols they use.  I've read the petition quite a few
times, and the requests that are in scope for this work are discovery
across IP subnets, making sure it works at scale, and ensuring that it
works on both IPv4 and IPv6.  There are requests to make particular
applications (AirPlay & AirPrint) work, but those protocols are not part
of any IETF effort I'm aware of, and are not something that this group
would ever take on.  Therefore, I'd propose that we focus the mention of
the petition on the issues they raise that we want to work on, with
something like this as the strawman:

"These limitations led to a call from network administrators and end users
in the form of the Educause petition [EP].  That petition requested
improvements to service discovery protocols:

o Service discovery should work when protocol peers are attached to
different IP subnets.  In large networks, it is common for wireless
devices and wired devices to use separate IP subnets, which prevents use
of multicast-based service discovery mechanisms.
o Services should be advertised across multiple subnets, whether IPv4 or
IPv6.
o Service discovery should be scalable and supportable in large networks
across both wired and wireless access."

Matthew

---

From: Dan York <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 09:22:24 -0500

> Therefore, I'd propose that we focus the mention of

This seems like a reasonable approach and the proposed text seems good to me.

Dan

On Nov 7, 2012, at 1:59 AM, Matthew Gast wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> mdnsext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mdnsext

-- 
Dan York  [email-masked]
http://www.danyork.me/   skype:danyork
Phone: +1-802-735-1624
Twitter - http://twitter.com/danyork

---

From: Tom Pusateri <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 09:36:47 -0500

> of multicast-based service discovery mechanisms.

I like what you say here with one clarification:

This should be "which prevents the use of link-local multicast-based service discovery mechanisms"

Thanks,
Tom