Subject: [media-types] A bunch of Valve types

From: Henrik Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 15:58:54 +0100

Hi! First time poster, no time lurker here.

I have been working on writing up some registrations for the types that
the Source game engine, by Valve, uses. I would like some comments on
what I have so far.

Apologies in advance for not being in text/plain and for not quite
following the standard headings. I will of course address those issues
when I get to submitting the document for real.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?66n42xa3fpge47b

I am mainly concerned about the top level types used for the various
formats. Did I make the correct calls?

Ps. I could not find any list registration instructions anywhere online.
Please give me the stock reply.

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 11:05:07 -0600

I confess to not having read through entirely, but I must ask:

Why do these types need to be registered? Are they being sent as payload in SMTP, HTTP, SIP or something such that a receiving end needs to treat them based on the MIME-type encoding? Or are they, like the VMF format, only used on a local filesystem by specialized tools?

On Dec 9, 2012, at 8:58 AM, Henrik Andersson <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types

---

From: Henrik Andersson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 19:20:12 +0100

BSP files are regularly sent over HTTP as both manual map installs as
well as automatic download in game.

Some servers have custom content in the form of models, materials and
textures. This is automatically downloaded over HTTP on connect.

And BSP files often store models, textures, materials as well as other
files that the map uses in the embedded zip file. In fact, all maps with
built cubemaps (which are required for people to not laugh at you as a
map maker) will at minimum include the cubemap textures and materials.

A few of the file formats are unlikely to be sent at all, but I figured
that I might as well cover all of them in one go.

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2012 10:50:00 -0800 (PST)

> Why do these types need to be registered? Are they being sent as payload in
> SMTP, HTTP, SIP or something such that a receiving end needs to treat them
> based on the MIME-type encoding? Or are they, like the VMF format, only used on
> a local filesystem by specialized tools?

One of the very first uses of media types was for file system typing,
independent of any protocol use.

Use in a protocol is not now and never has been a criteria for defining
a type.

				Ned

---

From: Dean Willis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 23:19:24 -0600

True, but I'd say that the vast majority of file types for local storage
have not been registered as MIME types, because they just haven't needed to
be. As far as I know, the only times I bothered were when I was doing
something that needed to be transported in a type-aware fashion OK n some
sort of encapsulating protocol. Hence, I was idly curious as to what was
driving the request. Wouldn't it be cool if Steam were actually using the
MIME types and appropriate content-dispositions for things like delivery of
updates?

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 18:13:40 +0900

Hello Henrik,

> http://www.mediafire.com/view/?66n42xa3fpge47b

The chance to get feedback is much higher if you send the actual 
registration templates here. If you have many, maybe you can start with 
a typical one, and then move to bulk later.

> Please give me the stock reply.

List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types>,
	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>