Subject: [media-types] Updated media registration request: application/sql

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 22:28:31 -0500

I updated the relevant draft here:
http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-shafranovich-mime-sql-02.txt

Diff of changes here:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-shafranovich-mime-sql-02

Here is the media registration template, I added more information on encoding:

2.  Media Type Registration Application

   This section provides the media type registration application which
   will be submitted to IANA after IESG approval of this document.

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: sql

   Required parameters: N/A

   Optional parameters:

      "charset" - indicates the character set to be used.  When not
      specified, US-ASCII should be assumed.

      Implementators should note that as per section 4.2.4, part 2 of
      [ISO.9075.2011], all SQL implementations are required to support
      US-ASCII, ISO-8859-1, UTF-8, UTF-16 and UTF-32 encodings.  Those
      should be the only valid values for the charset parameter unless
      some other agreement exists between the parties.

      When using [Unicode], the [ISO.9075.2011] standard dictates a
      preference of UTF-8 over UTF-16, and UTF-16 over UTF-32.

   Encoding considerations:charset

      When no character set is specified via the "charset" parameter or
      US-ASCII is specified, 7bit encoding is used.  When other
      character sets are used, 8bit or binary encoding may be required.

   Security considerations:

      Being that SQL is a full fledged programming language and may
      include embedded source code for other programming languages, it
      may be used to transfer malware, viruses and other malicious
      payloads.  Implementors and users are encouraged only to exchange
      SQL files among trusted parties and utilize all available security
      measures such as restricted access, virus scanners, etc. to
      minimize risk.

   Interoperability considerations:

      While a single standard exists ([ISO.9075.2011]), vendor
      implementations of the standard vary significantly.  Implementors
      and users should make sure that the exchanged SQL files match to
      the specific database/tool and version that they are using.

   Published specification:

      The most recent specification of SQL is available in
      [ISO.9075.2011].

   Applications that use this media type:

      Databases and related tools

   Additional information:

      Magic number(s): N/A

      File extension(s): sql

      Macintosh File Type Code(s): TEXT

   Person & email address to contact for further information:

      Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: N/A

   Author/Change controller: IESG