Subject: [media-types] registration of application/rdap+json

From: Andy Newton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 17:53:52 +0000

All,

The WEIRDS working has recently completed WGLC on a draft that registers
the media type application/rdap+json.
(Section 8.2 of http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-weirds-using-http-04)

It has been suggested that we need to add more information to our
registration, specifically in the security considerations section. We are
looking for guidance on this matter.

The registration in the draft is as follows:

This specification registers the "application/rdap+json" media type.

   Type name: application

   Subtype name: rdap+json

   Required parameters: n/a

   Encoding considerations: n/a

   Security considerations: n/a

   Interoperability considerations: n/a

   Published specification: [[ this document ]]

   Applications that use this media type: RDAP

   Additional information: n/a

   Person & email address to contact for further information: Andy Newton
<[email-masked]>

   Intended usage: COMMON

   Restrictions on usage: none

   Author: Andy Newton

   Change controller: IETF

   Provisional Registration: Yes

I have proposed the following changes to better meet the criteria needed
for registration:

   Encoding considerations: The media described by this media-type is
JSON. JSON supports Unicode. At a minimum, all servers offering this media
must support be capable of serving it using UTF-8 encoding.

    Security considerations: See the Security Considerations specified in
Section 6 of RFC 4627.

    Interoperability considerations: See draft-ietf-weirds-json-response.

    Additional information: This media type is a product of the IETF
WEIRDS working group. The WEIRDS charter, information on the WEIRDS
mailing list, and other documents produced by the WEIRDS working group can
be found at https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/weirds/

Guidance and help are appreciated. Does this registration meet the needs
for an IANA media type registration?
-andy

---

From: Bjoern Hoehrmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 22:25:27 +0200

>   Applications that use this media type: RDAP

This should give you some idea of the kind of application that would use
the format (2D drawing application, music playback). At least say some-
thing like "Implementations of the Registration Data Access Protocol
[RDAP]" if that is accurate.

>   Provisional Registration: Yes

If the draft is approved for publication as an RFC, I don't think it'd
be quite right for the registration to be provisional, but I'd have to
check RFC 6838.

>must support be capable of serving it using UTF-8 encoding.

This should simply reference RFC 6839, section 3.1.

>    Security considerations: See the Security Considerations specified in

It's a good idea to point out that since the format is based on JSON
that the Security Considerations for JSON also apply to this format,
but this would at least need some assertion that the specific format
does not have security considerations beyond that, or something else
along those lines.

>    Interoperability considerations: See draft-ietf-weirds-json-response.

Does that draft list known interoperability problems? If there are no
known interoperability problems, it would be fine to say that.

(I also note the lack of discussion of fragment identifiers.)
-- 
Björn Höhrmann · mailto:[email-masked] · http://bjoern.hoehrmann.de
Am Badedeich 7 · Telefon: +49(0)160/4415681 · http://www.bjoernsworld.de
25899 Dagebüll · PGP Pub. KeyID: 0xA4357E78 · http://www.websitedev.de/

---

From: "Murray S. Kucherawy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 14:30:53 -0700

Looks good to me.  You might also reference the Encoding Considerations in
RFC4627 if they're applicable.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 10:53 AM, Andy Newton <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> weirds mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/weirds
>