Subject: [media-types] Request for review of SCXML media type: application/scxml+xml

From: ashimura <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 17:01:51 +0900

Dear media-types list,

I am sending this request to ask you review the Media Type section of
the W3C SCXML specification.

The Media Type section of the SCXML specification is available at:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-scxml-20130801/#mimetype

and its plain text copy is available below.

MIME media type name:
---------------------

     application

MIME subtype name:
------------------

     scxml+xml

Required parameters:
--------------------

     None

Optional parameters:
--------------------

     charset

     This parameter has identical semantics to the charset parameter of
     the application/xml media type as specified in [RFC 3023] or its
     successor.

Encoding considerations:
------------------------

     By virtue of SCXML content being XML, it has the same
     considerations when sent as "application/scxml+xml"as does
     XML. See [RFC 3023] (or its successor), section 3.2.

Security considerations:
------------------------

     SCXML elements may include arbitrary URIs. Therefore, the security
     issues of [RFC 3986] section 7 should be considered. In addition,
     because of the extensibility features for SCXML, it is possible
     that "application/scxml+xml" may describe content that has
     security implications beyond those described here. However, if the
     processor follows only the normative semantics of this
     specification, this content will be ignored. Only in the case
     where the processor recognizes and processes the additional
     content, or where further processing of that content is dispatched
     to other processors, would security issues potentially arise. And
     in that case, they would fall outside the domain of this
     registration document.

Interoperability considerations:
--------------------------------

     This specification describes processing semantics that dictate
     behavior that must be followed when dealing with, among other
     things, unrecognized elements.Because SCXML is extensible,
     conformant "application/scxml+xml" processors MAY expect that
     content received is well-formed XML, but processors SHOULD NOT
     assume that the content is valid SCXML or expect to recognize all
     of the elements and attributes in the document.

Published specification:
------------------------

     This media type registration is extracted from Appendix H of the
     State Chart XML (SCXML): State Machine Notation for Control
     Abstraction specification.

Additional information:
-----------------------

     Magic number(s):

         There is no single initial octet sequence that is always
         present in SCXML documents.

     File extension(s):

         SCXML documents are most often identified with the extensions
         ".scxml".

     Macintosh File Type Code(s):

         TEXT

Person and email address to contact for further information:
------------------------------------------------------------

     Kazuyuki Ashimura, <[email-masked]>.

Intended usage:
---------------

     COMMON

Restrictions on usage:
----------------------

     None

Author:
-------

     The SCXML specification is a work product of the World Wide Web
     Consortium's Voice Browser Working Group.

Change controller:
------------------

     The W3C has change control over these specifications.

Sincerely,

Kazuyuki

--
Kaz Ashimura, W3C Activity Lead for Web&TV, MMI and Voice
Tel: +81 466 49 1170