Subject: [media-types] Review request for structured syntax suffix registration: rar

From: Kim Scarborough <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2016 19:09:21 -0500

Hello folks,

This is a review request for a Registration Request for Structured
Syntax Suffix "rar".

Name: RAR compression and archive format

+suffix: rar

References: “RAR 5.0 archive format", <http://www.rarlab.com/technote.htm>

Encoding considerations: RAR is a binary format.

Interoperability considerations: As this is not an open standard,
interoperability is left up to the discretion of the developer.

Fragment identifier considerations: The syntax and semantics of fragment
identifiers specified for rar SHOULD be as specified for
"application/vnd.rar". (At publication of this document, there is no
fragment identification syntax defined for "application/vnd.rar".)

The syntax and semantics for fragment identifiers for a specific
"xxx/yyy+rar" SHOULD be processed as follows:

For cases defined in +rar, where the fragment identifier resolves per
the +rar rules, then process as specified in +rar.

For cases defined in +rar, where the fragment identifier does not
resolve per the +rar rules, then process as specified in "xxx/yyy+rar".

For cases not defined in +rar, then process as specified in "xxx/yyy+rar".

Security considerations:
The security issues associated with this type have not been
assessed.

Contact:
Kim Scarborough
<[email-masked]>

Author/Change controller:
win.rar GmbH
Marienstrasse 12
10117 Berlin
Germany HRB 109885 B Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Ust-ID Nr. DE255974207

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 15:25:47 +0900

> Hello folks,

For a structured suffix, these should be a few (at least potential) 
actual media types that would use it. Can you give (at least potential) 
examples?

Regards,   Martin.

> _______________________________________________
> media-types mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/media-types
>

---

From: Kim Scarborough <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 17:51:15 -0500

Sure. If this goes through, I'm planning on registering
application/vnd.comicbook+rar, which would apply to .CBR files and would
compliment application/vnd.comicbook+zip. RAR has better multimedia
compression than comparable formats, so one could register something
like video/mpeg+rar or audio/vnd.wave+rar (assuming audio/vnd.wave gets
registered).