Subject: RE: [mediactrl] ASR/TTS Capability for MSCML

From: "Burger, Eric" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:19:56 +0100

I would offer that the MSML approach, of trying to abstract primitives
that one finds in speech interface protocols such as MRCPv2, are doomed
to failure.

Considering a developer's perspective, either they want high-level
access to speech resources, as delivered by VoiceXML or V3, or low-level
access to speech resources, as delivered by MRCPv2.  The MSML approach,
of being something in the middle, adds little value.  Abstracting or
translating MRCPv2 primitives does not really help, as MSML will always
be behind the capabilities of MRCPv2.

We would propose that one use the protocol to tunnel MRCPv2 primitives,
using only the control framework to manage sessions.  That reduces the
burden on the application server (only one place to send SIP messages)
and lets the media server manage the media sessions (sensible, as it
holds the media sessions already).  If the application really cares
about low-level control, then it will already be aware of low-level
control, which MRCPv2 provides.  Why create another level of indirection
that provides no useful service?

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Garland
Sharratt
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:25 PM
To: 'David Cromwell'
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [mediactrl] ASR/TTS Capability for MSCML

David, I think that MSML has what you are looking for:
 
   www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-saleem-msml-00.txt 
 
MSML has no IPR claims, so it might be possible to use its ASR/TTS
elements
for MSCML if you want to do that.  But since MSCML does have IPR claims
I
don't know what legal issues there would be in doing this.

If you do look at MSML's ASR/TTS support, we'd be happy to get your
comments.

Regards,
Garland

________________________________

From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of David
Cromwell
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:47
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [mediactrl] ASR/TTS Capability for MSCML

I would like to propose a non-script based mechanism for ASR/TTS be
added to
MSCML.  My group has developed an initial proposal which is being
reviewed
by subject matter experts.   I will forward the proposal for discussion
after it has been reviewed.

Regards,

David

-- 

[email-masked] 
AudioCodes, Inc.
633 Davis Drive, Suite 300 
Durham, NC 27713 

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or
information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any
liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any
communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this
website or as otherwise deemed improper.

--------------------------
Ubiquity Software does not control or endorse the content, messages or information found in this mail list and it specifically disclaims any liability with regard to these communications.
Ubiquity Software reserves the right the restrict access to any communications in violation of the Terms and Conditions of Use for this website or as otherwise deemed improper.