Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Clarification of "initiate"

From: "Haluska, John J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 16:07:59 -0400

Hi all

This is going back a few days, but I would like to be sure what's meant by "initiate" below - is this meant to indicate that the MS should be able to autonomously initiate calls - calls that the AS is unaware of? 

THanks

John Haluska

Re: [MEDIACTRL] Re: Requirements Comment

To: Steve Buko <steve.buko at dialogic.com>, <mediactrl at ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Re: Requirements Comment
From: Eric Burger <eburger at bea.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:46:39 +0100
Cc:
In-reply-to: <[email-masked]>
List-archive: <http://www1.ietf.org/pipermail/mediactrl>
List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-id: Media Control BOF Discussion List <mediactrl.ietf.org>
List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl>,	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
List-unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl>,	<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
Thread-index: Acdq8f38/dUDzFPETTKHlMor7q/s/QAAeZNZAAAW1VAAAHmwQAAAGShgAABElBAAJ3TDsAAAW3KAAAG9G8U=
Thread-topic: [MEDIACTRL] Re: Requirements Comment
User-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/11.3.3.061214

It is very much in scope as it is one of the issues to be resolved.  One
extreme model of media control is to have a single control connection from
the AS to the MS, from which one can, amongst other things, initiate calls
and manipulate RTP streams (i.e., calls the AS is unaware of).  Another
extreme model of media control is that every call leg at the media server is
a distinct SIP dialog at the application server.

What is not in scope is modifying standard SIP call flows.

On 3/21/07 10:06 AM, "Steve Buko" <steve.buko at dialogic.com> wrote:

> Roni,
> 
> I think I understand your point and do not have an issue with this.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: "Eric Burger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:44:40 -0700

I would offer the MS would *never* initiate a call.  There is a very,
very, very good reason why, for example, the <transfer> tag was
deprecated (well, OK, made optional) in VoiceXML 2.0.  It is exactly
because the AS needs to be aware of call state.  Given that, if the
system wants to initiate a call, the AS, using 3PCC, initiates a SIP
dialog towards the target, while initiating a SIP dialog towards the
media server.  This is what late media SDP is for. 

________________________________

From: Haluska, John J [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 4:08 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Clarification of "initiate"

Hi all

This is going back a few days, but I would like to be sure what's meant
by "initiate" below - is this meant to indicate that the MS should be
able to autonomously initiate calls - calls that the AS is unaware of?

THanks

John Haluska

To: Steve Buko <steve.buko at dialogic.com>, <mediactrl at ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Re: Requirements Comment
From: Eric Burger <eburger at bea.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:46:39 +0100
Cc:
In-reply-to:
<[email-masked]>
List-archive: <http://www1.ietf.org/pipermail/mediactrl>
List-help: <mailto:[email-masked]?subject=help>
List-id: Media Control BOF Discussion List <mediactrl.ietf.org>
List-post: <mailto:[email-masked]>
List-subscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=subscribe>
List-unsubscribe: <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl>,
<mailto:[email-masked]?subject=unsubscribe>
Thread-index:
Acdq8f38/dUDzFPETTKHlMor7q/s/QAAeZNZAAAW1VAAAHmwQAAAGShgAABElBAAJ3TDsAAA
W3KAAAG9G8U=
Thread-topic: [MEDIACTRL] Re: Requirements Comment
User-agent: Microsoft-Entourage/11.3.3.061214

It is very much in scope as it is one of the issues to be resolved.  One
extreme model of media control is to have a single control connection
from
the AS to the MS, from which one can, amongst other things, initiate
calls
and manipulate RTP streams (i.e., calls the AS is unaware of).  Another
extreme model of media control is that every call leg at the media
server is
a distinct SIP dialog at the application server.

> I think I understand your point and do not have an issue with this. 

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

---

From: "Haluska, John J" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 22:49:39 -0400

Eric

Your explanation is how I understood it. The original statement in
question could possibly be misinterpreted to the contrary, so thank you
for clarifying it for me.

John Haluska

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Burger [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 1:45 PM
To: Haluska, John J
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MEDIACTRL] Clarification of "initiate"

Hi all

THanks

John Haluska

> I think I understand your point and do not have an issue with this. 

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual
or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient,
and have received this message in error, please immediately return this
by email and then delete it.