Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] RFC 4117 Vs MCCF for Transcoding service invocation

From: "Rai, Shambhu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 18:08:47 +0530

HI,

I am not sure, if my message reached the list.. Can some one comment on
my questions on Transcoding service using media control channel
framework in the mail below?

Regards,
Shambhu
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Rai, Shambhu
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:55 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] FW: RFC 4117: Sip signaling for Transcoding
serviceinvocation

Hi Guys,

I am new to this list. So, please excuse me if I am raising already
discussed questions. 

1. I am looking at the signaling model options for Transcoding service
invocation on media server. Is there a package defined in the
"mediactrl" framework for invoking the transcoding service on media
server or one has to support conference packages to support the
transcoding? 

2. RFC 4117 proposes framework/call flows to invoke the transcoding
service on Media server from a 3PCC AS. What is the MediaCtrl group's
position on the same?
 
Regards,
Shambhu

-----Original Message-----
From: Rai, Shambhu 
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:23 AM
To: [email-masked];
[email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RFC 4117: Sip signaling for Transcoding service invocation 

HI All, 

Is anyone aware of any Media server / MRF / Transcoder using 3PCC
control mechanism described in RFC 4117 for invoking a transcoding
service?

I am evaluating the Signaling model to invoke transcoding service on
MRF. I can think of following options.

1. RFC 4117 based 3PCC transcoding service invocation:
        In this case AS setup only one Dialog (with SDP of A and
B)towards MRF requesting the transcoding service. 

2. 3PCC AS Use an identifier like a conference identifier to move both
parties in the same context.
    I am wondering, If setting up transcoding as two party conference
will be a good idea?  As there will be need to distinguish transcoder
service from the conferencing service. Like A party doing hold unhold
etc, These scenarios needs to be handled differently for transcoding
from conference.

It will be good to know industry accepted mechanism for the same. Any
inputs are welcome.

Regards,
Shambhu

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2008 13:49:03 +0100

Hi Rai,

from my understanding, the MS takes care of transcoding automatically.  
Control packages are only interfaces to the primitive functionality  
the MS itself provides with. However, the conferencing control package  
is currently needed to put two UACs in contact: if transcoding between  
them is needed (according to the previous 3PCC the AS had between them  
and the MS), the MS does that. Same for an announcement to play to a  
UAC, for instance: if the source is to be transcoded to a format the  
receiving UAC understands, the MS takes care of that.

I'm not sure I addressed your concern.

Lorenzo

-- 
Lorenzo Miniero, Junior Researcher
Dipartimento di Informatica e Sistemistica
Università degli Studi di Napoli "Federico II"
Via Claudio 21 -- 80125 Napoli (Italy)
Phone: +390817683821 - Fax: +390817683816
Email: [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl