Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Comments on draft-boulton-conference-control-package-04

From: "Steve Buko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 09:38:35 -0400

Chris,

Below are some comments regarding the conference control package.

Should the name of the document be changed?

This is now more than a conferencing document.

Maybe draft-boulton-mixing-control-package or 

draft-boulton-connection-control-package ??

 

*Abstract

*   This document defines a Conference Control Package for the Media

*   Control Channel Framework.  This Control Package aims to fulfill

*   Conferencing requirements using the SIP Control Framework.

This document is more than conferencing.  

The Abstract should be updated to mention mixing.

 

*1.  Introduction

*   The Media Control Channel Framework

*   [I-D.ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework] provides a generic

*   template for establishment and reporting capabilities of remotely

*   initiated commands.  The Control Framework also introduces the

*   concept of a Control Package.  A Control Package is an explicit
usage

*   of the Control Framework for a particular interaction set.  This

*   specification defines a package for control of conference instances.

Same comment.  Mixing functionality should be mentioned here.

 

*3.  Overview

*   The SIP Control Framework [I-D.ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework]

*   provides a generic approach for establishment and reporting

*   capabilities of remotely initiated commands.  The Framework utilizes

*   many functions provided by the Session Initiation Protocol [RFC3261]

*   (SIP) for the rendezvous and establishment of a reliable channel for

*   control interactions.  The Control Framework also introduces the

*   concept of a Control Package.  A Control Package is an explicit
usage

*   of the Control Framework for a particular interaction set.  This

*   specification defines a package for basic conferencing.

*

*   The scope of the package is control of media server functions for

*   conferencing (e.g. create a conference, add and remove participants

*   from it, etc) as well as responses and notifications related to
these

*   functions.  Although dialog services such as announcements,

*   recordings, and prompts are generally needed for a complete

*   conference service, those functions are defined in complementary

*   packages.

Similar comment.  Needs to be updated to include mixer functionality

 

*4.1.  Control Package Name

*   The Control Framework requires a Control Package definition to

*   specify and register a unique name.  The name and version of this

*   Control Package is "msc-conf-audio/1.0" (Media Server Control -

*   Conferencing - Audio - version 1.0).

This should possibly change to reflect mixing.

This should also be updated to reflect video support.  

Although video is not currently defined for conferencing (additional 

comment below), video is defined for mixing via the <join> child
<stream>.

 

*4.2.  Framework Message Usage

*   The intent for the Conference Control package is for the creation,

*   manipulation and deletion of conferences as well as joining,

*   manipulation and unjoining of participants to conferences.  The

*   Conference Control package is intended for use in an architecture

*   where application logic and media mixing are distributed.  For this

*   reason the Control Framework will operate in a manner where CONTROL

*   messages, as defined in the Conference Framework

*   [I-D.ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework], MUST only be sent from

*   the network entity providing the application logic.

Should mention joining connections.

 

*5.2.  <createconference>

*

*   <createconference> is used in a request by the AS to create a new

*   conference (multiparty) instance.

*

*   The <createconference> element has the following child elements

*   defined:

*

*   <audio-mixing>:  an element to configure the audio mixing

*      characteristics of a conference (see Section 5.11.1 for more

*      detail).  The element is mandatory in a <createconference>

*      request.

What about video layout definitions?

 

*5.3.  <modifyconference>

*

*   <modifyconference> is used by the controlling client to modify

*   properties of an existing conference.

*

*   The <modifyconference> element has the following child elements

*   defined:

*

*   <audio-mixing>:  an element to configure the conference (see

*      Section 5.11.1 for more detail).  The element is optional in a

*      <modifyconference> request.

Video layout modifications?

 

*5.5.  <join>

*

*   <stream>:   an element that both identifies the media streams to
join

*      and defines the way that they are to be joined (see Section
5.12).

*      The element is optional.  If no <stream> elements are specified,

*      then the default is the media configuration of the connection or

*      conference.

If no <stream> is given, what is the assumed "media" type, audio, video,

or audio/video?

 

*5.11.  Conference Configuration

*

*   The elements in this section are used to establish and modify the

*   configuration of conferences.

*

*5.11.1.  <audio-mixing>

*

Video layout definition?

 

*5.12.  Media Streams

*

*   The <stream> element has the following attributes:

*

*   media:  a string indicating the type of media associated with the

*      stream.  It is strongly recommended that the following values are

*      used for common types of media: "audio" for audio media, and

*      "video" for video media.  The attribute is mandatory.

The above states that "media" can be set to "audio" or "video".

"audio" = audio only.

What does "video" mean?

Is "video" = audio/video or is "video" = video only.

If "video" = video only, 

then I would like to see a new value of "audio/video"

 

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: "Chris Boulton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 16:29:42 -0000

Thanks Steve - I have added to the list for the next revision.

Chris.

  _____  

From: Steve Buko [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 11 March 2008 13:39
To: Chris Boulton; mediactrl mailing list
Subject: Comments on draft-boulton-conference-control-package-04

Chris,

 

 

*Abstract

 

*1.  Introduction

 

*3.  Overview

*

*   packages.

 

 

 

*5.2.  <createconference>

*

*

*   defined:

*

*      request.

 

*5.3.  <modifyconference>

*

*

*   defined:

*

 

 

*5.5.  <join>

*

*      conference.

or audio/video?

 

*

*

*5.11.1.  <audio-mixing>

*

Video layout definition?

 

*5.12.  Media Streams

*

*

"audio" = audio only.

What does "video" mean?

If "video" = video only,