Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-01.txt

From: Rahul <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 10:55:17 +0530

This also means that AS is suppose to always know the capabilities of
endpoint as well as MS (As Roni pointed out). I think it will be better to
have that capability on AS but it's not mandatory for AS since AS is not
only used for MS related cases (Conf/IVR) but also for a simple 2-way call
as well as messenger based services. Or we are gravitating towards an AS
which only supports MS related operations. 

I am not sure why we are trying to prevent the MS from sending Re-INVITE (Is
delay a reason? If so I think it's acceptable for a user to have some
initial delay for a user if it's joining to a conference)

I would like to hear what other thinks.

Regards,

Rahul

  _____  

From: Even, Roni [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Saturday, March 01, 2008 4:46 AM
To: Tim Melanchuk; Steve Buko
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [MEDIACTRL] draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-01.txt

Hi,

I was referring to the example that Rahul gave in the thread. My claim here
based also on your answer is that the MS response to the first offer with
the offered SDP may cause in many cases a need to re-invite after the JOIN
which can be prevented.

The exception is if the AS MUST handle the conference common mode and change
it, or not, based on the parties joining the conference. This means that the
AS must know the full capability of all MS which I am not sure was what we
wanted.

Roni

  _____  

From: Tim Melanchuk [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 7:24 PM
To: Steve Buko
Cc: Even, Roni; [email-masked]; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-01.txt

i agree with steve here. the AS controls the SDP. the MS simply answers
the SDP that is offered and can only use the media that is negotiated for
services. the AS can re-negotiate when/if it wants.

the <join> operation allows specification of specific media streams. so
the AS can be explicit about which media streams to join, and a MS
can error case invalid requests. 

timm

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 8:47 AM, Steve Buko <[email-masked]> wrote:

Roni,

If the AS sends an "audio only" SDP to the MS, this means that the remote
endpoint is not video capable or the AS is limiting its capabilities to
audio only.

Either way though, the AS should not be adding that endpoint to a video
conference unless they are expecting to have that endpoint participate as an
audio only party in a video conference.

Steve

|-----Original Message-----
|From: Even, Roni [mailto:[email-masked]]

|Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 11:41 AM
|To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; Steve Buko
|Cc: [email-masked]
|Subject: RE: [MEDIACTRL] draft-ietf-mediactrl-sip-control-framework-01.txt
|
|Rahul,
|You described the simple case. What if the first offer answer is Audio SDP
|and when the JOIN for video arrives the MS do not have resources.
|
|I also think that to do a second re-invite that could have been prevented
|if the JOIN came first is not the best approach
|Roni
|
|
|

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl