Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Protocol Version!!!!

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:14:48 +0100

As a result of feedback from our AD (Robert Sparks) we need to make a 
couple of changes to the Media Channel Control framework before we can 
proceed.  The following was called out:

The protocol has no version field inside it, and there
       doesn't appear to be a way to version it in the SDP that's
       setting up its use. Am I missing something?

My question to the group is - do we feel we need a protocol version 
number?  Will it add any value?

MSRP chose not to have a version and included the following text:

 MSRP was designed to be only minimally extensible.  New MSRP methods,
   header fields, and status codes can be defined in standards-track
   RFCs.  MSRP does not contain a version number or any negotiation
   mechanism to require or discover new features.  If an extension is
   specified in the future that requires negotiation, the specification
   will need to describe how the extension is to be negotiated in the
   encapsulating signaling protocol.  If a non-interoperable update or
   extension occurs in the future, it will be treated as a new protocol,
   and MUST describe how its use will be signaled.

If the group thinks we need a version number then we should look at 
proposals ELSE I will include similar text to that specified for MSRP in 
our doc.

Thoughts please.

Chris.