Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-5

From: "Lorenzo Miniero" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:10:20 +0200

Dear all,

here's another cue for discussion for what concerns the
publishing interface.

This element provides a list of codecs supported by the
publishing MS. Rather than just enumerating the codecs, we
chose to enrich the list by adding a brief overview on the
supported actions on each codec. So, for each codec the MS
also reports whether it can encode and/or decode, or if only
a blind passthrough is supported. This should allow an AS to
understand if a MS is apt to implement the scenario it is
needed for: for instance, in the provided example, H.264 is
supported as passthrough only, which means that only a
videoswitching conference with only H.264 could be realized;
at the same time, H.263 is supported but just as a decoder
(no encoder availabe) which means the MS could be used to
record a contribution from a UAC but not to play him a
prompt if a transcoding is required.

Let us know if you think the solution we propose is fine, or
if you think changes in the presented interface are needed.

Thanks,
Lorenzo and Chris

----- Original Message -----
Da : Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
A : [email-masked]
Oggetto : [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-5
Data : Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:38:13 +0100

> MediaCtrl-ID: MRB-PUB-5
> 
> Interface Name: Publishing
> 
> Property Name: Codecs Supported
> 
> Description:
> 
> Provides a list of the codecs supported by a logical media
> server  instance (for example G711, H.264) and the details
> about what can be  done with the codec (encoding and
> decoding/encoding only/decoding  only/passthrough). The
> details are conveyed in a list.
> 
> Type: A list of codecs supported (string) and the
> supported actions  (formatted string)
> 
> Example:
> 
> G711 - E/D (both encoding and decoding supported)
> G727 - E/D (both encoding and decoding supported)
> H.264 - P (only passthrough supported, no decoding or
> encoding) H.263 - D (only decoding supported)
> 
> 
> Please provide comments on this interface property and let
> us know if it  triggers any thoughts on additional
> information that could be included  in the interface. This
> information will be used as the basis for text in  the
> next version of the draft.
> _______________________________________________ MEDIACTRL
> mailing list [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
> Supplemental Web Site:
> http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl