Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-3

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:33:02 +0100

MediaCtrl-ID: MRB-PUB-3

Interface Name: Publishing

Property Name: Non Active RTP Sessions

Description:

Provides a representation of RTP sessions between an endpoint and a 
logical media server instance that could occur. The details are conveyed 
in a list showing the codec type (for example G711, H.264) and the 
associated number of potential active streaming sessions. The figure 
provided is split into two parts. The first part represents the number 
of potential incoming Active RTP Sessions (decoding) while the second 
part represents the potential outgoing Active RTP sessions (encoding). 
The figures provide a snap shot of current usage and should only be used 
as guidance when making resource decisions.

Type: A list of codecs (String) and associated number of active 
instances of that codec (positive integer “/” positive integer).

Example:

G711 – 100/100

H.264 – 50/50

Please provide comments on this interface property and let us know if it 
triggers any thoughts on additional information that could be included 
in the interface. This information will be used as the basis for text in 
the next version of the draft.

---

From: "MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 16:43:15 -0400

On this one, I'm not sure how to interpret the information. Does the
example below mean that the logical MS could simultaneously support 100
calls with G.711 and 50 calls of H.264? Or does it mean that the MS can
support some combination of the two according to some (unspecified)
formula? 

Regardless, the information seems useful.

cheers,

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chris Boulton
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 11:33 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-3

MediaCtrl-ID: MRB-PUB-3

Description:

Type: A list of codecs (String) and associated number of active 
instances of that codec (positive integer "/" positive integer).

Example:

G711 - 100/100

H.264 - 50/50

the next version of the draft.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: "MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:02:24 -0400

Sorry - maybe audio/video isn't the best example. So suppose G.711 - 100
and G.729 -50 as an example.

But really the same question - total together, or interpolated
combinations?

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 4:43 PM
To: Chris Boulton; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-3

cheers,

Gary

-----Original Message-----

MediaCtrl-ID: MRB-PUB-3

Description:

Example:

G711 - 100/100

H.264 - 50/50

---

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:21:08 +0100

> support some combination of the two according to some (unspecified)
[Chris] The latter is closer.  The figures give you a snap shot of the 
current status of the MS.  This is a good topic that the group should 
think about in more detail.  Currently it is simply that you could have 
100 G711 OR 50 H.264.  Would it be useful to provide details of common 
combinations of audio/video/text etc etc?

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 10:31:48 +0200

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:21:08 +0100

> combinations of audio/video/text etc etc?

This was discussed in San Francisco, the AND/OR question (MRB-05)

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/09mar/slides/mediactrl-2/mediactrl-2_files/v3_document.htm

and the feedback from the group was that this was to be an approximate report, considering the difficulties in quantifying in advance the resource consumption.

L.

-- 
Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>