Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-5

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:38:13 +0100

MediaCtrl-ID: MRB-PUB-5

Interface Name: Publishing

Property Name: Codecs Supported

Description:

Provides a list of the codecs supported by a logical media server 
instance (for example G711, H.264) and the details about what can be 
done with the codec (encoding and decoding/encoding only/decoding 
only/passthrough). The details are conveyed in a list.

Type: A list of codecs supported (string) and the supported actions 
(formatted string)

Example:

G711 - E/D (both encoding and decoding supported)
G727 - E/D (both encoding and decoding supported)
H.264 - P (only passthrough supported, no decoding or encoding)
H.263 - D (only decoding supported)

Please provide comments on this interface property and let us know if it 
triggers any thoughts on additional information that could be included 
in the interface. This information will be used as the basis for text in 
the next version of the draft.

---

From: "MUNSON, GARY A, ATTLABS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 17:09:58 -0400

On this one, is the assumption that they can be used for either IVR or
conferencing?
Should it be explicitly indicated what they can be used for?

And does it make sense to pass this information in isolation from the
number of active/inactive RTP streams/resources? I.e. the PUB1 & PUB3
emails. Trying to muddle through this...

Cheers,

Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Chris Boulton
Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 9:38 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB-PUB-5

MediaCtrl-ID: MRB-PUB-5

Description:

Example:

the next version of the draft.
_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2009 22:28:27 +0100

> Should it be explicitly indicated what they can be used for?
[Chris] Yes - the assumption was that it conveyed support for the entire 
media server instance.  This property is easy to added BUT does the 
group think it will be useful?
> emails. Trying to muddle through this...
[Chris] Agreed.  Lorenzo and I had exactly the same conversation but 
kept them separate for the time being for clarity.  We wondered if there 
were any use cases that would result in codecs being supported would not 
necessarily appear in the active/inactive list - maybe licensing issues 
for codecs?
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com 
> Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.57/2163 - Release Date: 06/08/09 12:30:00
>
>