Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Media Control Channel Framework - using '~' as a separator

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:56:30 +0100

Hi All,

As a result of feedback from our AD (Robert Sparks) we need to make a 
couple of changes to the Media Channel Control framework before we can 
proceed.  We currently use the '~' in section 16.1 as a separator for 
the 'connection-id'.  This is broken as it clashes with acceptable 
values that can appear in a SIP From/To header that are used to 
construct 'connection-id'

We need to come up with a suggestion that is more appropriate and does 
not appear in the following:

token       =  1*(alphanum / "-" / "." / "!" / "%" / "*"
                   / "_" / "+" / "`" / "'" / "~" )

My suggestion is that we use ':' - this would make a connection id look 
as follows:

7HDY839:HJKSkyHS

Is the group OK with this?  Please respond either way so that I can move 
ahead ASAP (especially those who are implementing).

Chris.

---

From: Stéphane Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:05:34 -0700

Hi,

I fail to see why there is a clash when using ~ as a separator.

Our implementation already supports connectionids in the form 123~456~789~ABC where 123~456 is the From tag and 789~ABC is the To tag.

Or did I miss something?

Stephane

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Chris Boulton
Sent: 18 juin 2009 11:57
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Media Control Channel Framework - using '~' as a separator

Hi All,

7HDY839:HJKSkyHS

Chris.

_______________________________________________
MEDIACTRL mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
Supplemental Web Site:
http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Chris Boulton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:48:04 +0100

So its fine constructing it.  But you have just had to tell me the 
semantics for extracting.  How would I have known (as a receiving 
entity) unless you pointed it out?  I would not know where to split the 
two and then look for appropriate match.

Chris.

---

From: Stéphane Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:09:56 -0700

Ah! Our matching algorithm is a lot simpler: when a SIP dialog is established, the SIP dialog registers itself with a connection manager using a string formed with From~To. Then, all searches are performed against that string; we never try to split the From/Tag using the ~ delimiter.

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Boulton [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 18 juin 2009 13:48
To: Stéphane Bastien
Cc: [email-masked]; Chris Boulton
Subject: Re: [MEDIACTRL] Media Control Channel Framework - using '~' as a separator

Chris.

---

From: Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 10:57:32 +0200

The same applies to our implementation. Anyway, if we really need to change the token, then I think the ':' would be fine as a separator.

L.

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:09:56 -0700

-- 
Lorenzo Miniero <[email-masked]>