Subject: [MEDIACTRL] Chair view of MEDIACTRL status

From: "Spencer Dawkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:47:26 -0500

Dear Working Group,

We wanted to check our understanding of MEDIACTRL status before Stockholm -
please let us know if things look differently to you...

Control Framework - we have one remaining question from Robert's AD review,
on whether a version number is needed for the control framework. Spencer has
asked onlist whether this is necessary ("please respond by July 14"). So
far, no one has replied saying that a version number is necessary. After
July 14, the chairs will declare consensus and Chris will produce a draft
revision for Robert to take to the IESG.

IVR - we have two remaining questions from Robert's AD review, on whether we
need to reserve the entire range of values for <dialogexit> and
<response>/<auditresponse> status attributes, and whether the text around a
subscribe with no child elements is clear enough. Scott has asked onlist
about both of these questions. The chairs invite people to express opinions
by July 17. After July 17, the chairs will declare consensus and Scott will
produce a draft revision for Robert to take to the IESG.

MIXER - we held MIXER while Robert was doing AD Review of IVR, because IVR
was our first package specification, and we didn't want to hand Robert two
specs if he was going to find the same problems in both packages. Now that
Robert has completed his AD review for IVR, the chairs request that Scott
produce a draft revision of MIXER that addresses any issues that MIXER has
in common with IVR (example - reserving all the status attributes, as in
IVR). When this draft revision is available, the chairs will forward it to
Robert, requesting publication.

Call Flows - this working group draft has always been targeted for
publication when the control framework and packages were complete. We expect
that this draft will be revised to reflect IESG feedback on the Control
Framework, IVR and MIXER drafts, after these drafts are approved for
publication as RFCs, and we're prepared to issue WGLC for that revision as
soon as it's available.

MRB - we've had good on-list discussion since San Francisco, but that's died
down a little. The most recent e-mail was from Gary Munson, on June 18th, at
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mediactrl/current/msg01307.html, and
that e-mail made a lot of proposals. It would be good for people to arrive
in Stockholm ready to resolve any outstanding issues on MRB, before the end
of the meeting (with appropriate list verification, of course) - and there's
no reason you have to wait until the meeting to START talking. The chairs
would like to charge Chris and Lorenzo with producing a revision that
resolves all open topics very quickly after IETF 75, and the chairs would
like to issue working group last call on that revision during September.

With all this in mind, we're proposing the following agenda for Stockholm:

- Agenda Bash - 10 minutes
- MRB Discussions - 120 minutes
- Next Steps - 20 minutes

We're hoping to have all of our drafts submitted to the IESG by October, and
hoping that we will not need to meet as a working group at IETF 76 in
Hiroshima.

Some working group participants have mentioned work on additional packages
(advanced video, etc). The chairs are prepared to work with people proposing
such work, and with our area directors, to develop a charter modification
for MEDIACTRL, or a charter proposal for a follow-on working group.

Thanks,

Eric and Spencer, co-chairs