Subject: [MEDIACTRL] MRB Publish interface suggestion

From: "MUNSON, GARY A (ATTSI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 06:33:30 -0400

Thanks for posting mrb-08.

I have one modification to suggest for the Publish interface.

Currently the Publish subscription element has a 'frequency' child
element that says how often the MRB wants to receive notifications from
an MS on status of its resources.

I find myself wondering whether a notification interval range min and
max might be more useful than frequency. I.e., so that the MRB would
tell the MS that the interval duration from the last notification to the
next notification should be no more than X seconds and no less than Y
seconds.

That way the MS could optionally be allowed to decide, within
constraints, how often to send notifications to MRB. So, for example,
when things are working normally the MS might send updates every 30
minutes, but if all of a sudden its real time consumption gets clobbered
because of some system emergency audit running and the effective number
of idle ports is seriously diminished, it can send a next event
notification much sooner. 

Specifying max/min values instead of a single frequency adds a tiny bit
of complexity to the Publish interface but could have a significant
benefit. And one could still specify a single frequency by setting min
and max to the same value.

BR,

Gary

Gary Munson
AT&T