Subject: [MEDIACTRL] RFC 6917 on Media Resource Brokering

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 14:44:09 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 6917

        Title:      Media Resource Brokering 
        Author:     C. Boulton, L. Miniero,
                    G. Munson
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2013
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      136
        Characters: 280399
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-mediactrl-mrb-19.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc6917.txt

The MediaCtrl working group in the IETF has proposed an architecture
for controlling media services.  The Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) is used as the signaling protocol that provides many inherent
capabilities for message routing.  In addition to such signaling
properties, a need exists for intelligent, application-level media
service selection based on non-static signaling properties.  This is
especially true when considered in conjunction with deployment
architectures that include 1:M and M:N combinations of Application
Servers and Media Servers.  This document introduces a Media Resource
Broker (MRB) entity, which manages the availability of Media Servers
and the media resource demands of Application Servers.  The document
includes potential deployment options for an MRB and appropriate
interfaces to Application Servers and Media Servers.

This document is a product of the Media Server Control Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  http://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html.
For downloading RFCs, see http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html.

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 16:07:14 -0400

PAR-TAY!!!!

Excellent work, all.

On Apr 11, 2013, at 5:44 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> MEDIACTRL mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mediactrl
> Supplemental Web Site:
> http://www.standardstrack.com/ietf/mediactrl

---

From: Spencer Dawkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:30:51 -0500

>>         Mailbox:    [email-masked],

I'd like to add my congrats to Eric's, as a long-ago co-chair ... I know 
it wasn't easy, and we had an implementation pretty much every step of 
the way!

Spencer

---

From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 02:59:16 -0400

Richard -
Please make the following updates to our charter:
Mixer Control Protocol to IESG		Done
Broker Protocol WGLC			Done
Broker Protocol to IESG			Done
Media Control Call Flows WGLC	May 2013
Media Control Call Flows to IESG	July 2013

Thanks!
- Eric

Begin forwarded message:

> From: [email-masked]
> Subject: [MEDIACTRL] RFC 6917 on Media Resource Brokering
> Date: April 11, 2013 5:44:09 PM EDT
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R CIV USARMY (US)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 15:04:27 +0000

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

It is a great work and congratulations to all especially to the authors of
RFC 6917.

I know Eric also worked a lot in this area and authored some RFCs that has
been the pre-cursor of this in the beginning of the SIP standards when no
technical standards were available for decomposing of media servers and the
call control application servers for invoking/creation of SIP services

It is a great milestone for the industry as well because there has been so
much struggles for creating a market based on OPEN standards of the media
server that is so important for scalability of the large-scale SIP network
which is being dominated by "proprietary" schemes especially blocking the
competition for entering of more medium or smaller size vendors reducing the
costs.

History will record this in a way MEGACO/H.248 has done for the smooth
migration of the monster TDM switches into more distributed scalable
architecture to the IP-based packet switches.

Best regards,
Radhika

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

---

From: [email-masked] (Dale R. Worley)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 10:15:59 -0400 (EDT)

> From: Eric Burger <[email-masked]>
> 
> PAR-TAY!!!!
> 
> Excellent work, all.
> 

Thanks to everyone who has worked so hard on this!

Dale

---

From: Richard Barnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:27:32 -0400

I have asked the secretariat to make those changes.

Good work, everyone!

Thanks,
--Richard

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 2:59 AM, Eric Burger <[email-masked]>wrote:

> *From: [email-masked]
> *Subject: **[MEDIACTRL] RFC 6917 on Media Resource Brokering*
> *Date: *April 11, 2013 5:44:09 PM EDT
> *To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> *Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
>