Subject: Re: [Medup] [dispatch] A protocol for anonymity

From: Hernâni Marques (p≡p project) <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 13:42:42 +0100

Hello Martin

Thanks for this contribution: that sounds very interesting -- we already
had such ideas already in within pretty Easy privacy (pEp); by instance,
for PGP/MIME with the SMTP transport, which is one of the reasons why we
do header protection by encapsulation (cf.
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-luck-lamps-pep-header-protection-00) ;
not sure yet if your approach works on the same application level, but
discussions on such approaches should go forward.

From pEp side we would also be interested to contribute to actual
implementations in such directions.

Is there already any practical work? Cannot grasp that from the draft. :)

Greets

Hernani

PS:
I also added the MEDUP list CC, which exists to discuss concrete drafts
(ideally with Running Code) to achieve decentralized privacy forms:

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/MEDUP

On 09.03.19 11:42, RFC ISE (Adrian Farrel) wrote:

> Hi,
> 
> Martin Gwerder has presented his draft to me for publication on the
> Independent Stream.
> 
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gwerder-messagevortexmain/
> 
> The document describes and specifies a protocol designed to achieve
> anonymity by embedding messages within existing transfer protocols such as
> SMTP or XMPP.
> 
> Martin tells me that he has made some overtures to the IETF, but has been
> unable to find an opening to discuss his work. I think that may be because
> it can sometimes be quite hard for a newcomer to work out how to find a
> way in, especially for a topic that is not easily aligned with what we're
> currently working on.
> 
> So, before I take this under my wing, I wondered whether you see a place
> where you think this should be discussed within the IETF.
> 
> Thanks for any clues,
> Adrian
>