Subject: Re: V16 review - events Descriptor

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:31:33 -0800

At 02:29 PM 3/23/00 -0600, Nancy-M Greene wrote:

>This comment is editorial, trying to improve the clarity of section 7.1.9:
>
>(and, it is, I hope, our last comment on v16 :-) )
>
>Section 7.1.9 Events Descriptor
>Issue: Case 1, item 2a), and Case 2 are not yet completely clear.
>Case 1, item 2a) currently says:
>"... detected. The MG then waits for a new EventsDescriptor. While waiting
>for a new EventsDescriptor, any events matching the EventsBufferDescriptor
>will be placed in the EventBuffer and the event processing will repeat from
>step 1."
>
>Proposal:
>i) Change "While waiting..." sentence in Case 1, item 2a) to be:
>"While waiting for a new EventsDescriptor, any events detected which
>appear in the current EventsBufferDescriptor will be placed in the
>EventBuffer.
>When a new EventDescriptor is received, event processing repeats
>from step 1."

Yes.  The current text is clearly incorrect.  If implemented exactly as it
currently says, I believe it would cause an infinite loop.  The text above
reflects the original intent in TD-85 from Geneva.  I also think this
should be in the errata for H.248 in June since it is an important
technical correction.

BTW, the formatting of this section in draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-07.txt is
not correct.

>ii) and add this sentence to Case 2:
>"Events detected that match an event in the new EventsDescriptor are
>immediately notified."

I believe we had a statement like this originally, but it was removed since
it was redundant with the sentance at the beginning of the section:
"The MG shall send a Notify command to the MGC when it detects an event in
the Events Descriptor."

The statement you suggest is a true statement.  I tend to think redundant
encoding in this section would be helpful. :-)

Again, the formatting of this section is incorrect.  The current text in
version 7 implies that all the text following "Case 2" is part of Case 2
when in fact it is only the sentence immediately following the words "Case
2"  plus the above if it is added.

>Nancy
>Abdallah
>
>--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Nancy M. Greene
>Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks
>T:514-271-7221 (internal:ESN853-1077) E:[email-masked]

http://www.netaid.org
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 CTO Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 17:05:40 +0200

All,

I agree that we have to add text indicating that the MG waits for a new
EventsDescriptor in step 2a of case 1.

The proposed addition to case 2 is indeed redundant.  I don't really
care whether we add the proposed text.

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 306
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954