Subject: Re: Appeal to SIGTRAN WG Chair

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 21:32:44 -0600

My problem with Sigtran is less with the possible bugs, but with
the model of promoting old circuit switched models and SS7, etc.
on the Internet. It degrades IP to a cheap wire and keeps all
the telco control and signaling in place.

This applies equally to MEGACO.

The usual argument that some people want to have a quick fix for
"VoIP" does not justify messing around with the Internet
architecture and getting even a stamp of approval for it from
the IETF.

This topic deserves a similar discussion as we had today in the
Wireless BOF, and in the 47th IETF plenary. Glad to provide
details and arguments.

I do not speak for my company, but IMHO only, this is not
desirable work in the IETF. Now let the flames roar...

Henry

---

From: Juha Heinanen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 11:46:16 +0300

henry,

i'm not a sigtran expert, but i see sigtran important in order to be
able to place the signaling gateway anywhere on the internet.  correct
me if i'm wrong, but without sigtran, i would need to integrate the
signaling gw with the media gw or connect the signaling gw directly to
telephone switch using a separate physical interface.

so i see sigtran simply as a way to tunnel itu signaling over the
internet to a properly placed signaling gw, which then turns itu
signaling to sip and/or mgcp.

-- juha

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:27:19 -0600

Henry,

I think I need to divert this to the new IAB chair...

--
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter
Program Director, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM
On assignment for IBM at http://www.iCAIR.org
Attend INET 2000: http://www.isoc.org/inet2000
Non-IBM email: [email-masked]

---

From: Henry Sinnreich <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 16:29:12 -0600

Juha,

>signaling to sip and/or mgcp.

Yes, as I hinted, it is not the technology developed by the WG
that I objected, or possible bugs (would be normal at the
beginning)), but the agenda to use IP as a cheap wire, to keep
telco signaling and "IN" control in place. Fortunately, the
Sigtran WG did a good job and developed a quite promising SCTP
that may be put to better use for various applications.

Henry

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Juha Heinanen [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Thursday, March 30, 2000 2:46 AM
>To: [email-masked]
>Cc: [email-masked];
>[email-masked];
>[email-masked]; Brian E
>Carpenter; Steve Deering;
>Henning Schulzrinne; Scott Bradner
>Subject: RE: Appeal to SIGTRAN WG Chair
>
>
>henry,
>