Subject: Event handling questions

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 10:02:30 -0500

A couple of questions on the event handling (7.1.9):

1. It is specified that "When the MG receives a command with a new
EventsDescriptor, one or more events may have been buffered in the
EventBuffer in the MG. The value of EventBufferControl then determines
how the MG treats such buffered events."

I assume that the "the value of EventBufferControl" refers to the value
in the new command (if supplied), not the old, correct ?

2. It is specified that "If the MG receives a command instructing it to
set the value of EventBufferControl to Off, all events in the
EventBuffer SHALL be discarded."

This seems rather strange to me as you will be dropping events for no
apparent reason. Can somebody please explain the rationale behind this ?

Thanks

        Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 19:04:14 -0800

>in the new command (if supplied), not the old, correct ?

There is text in the spec somewhere that describes the order of
operation.  I don't remember where.  If that text says to process
EventBufferControl before the new EventsDescriptor, then the new value of
EventBufferControl is used.  Otherwise, the old value is used.

>apparent reason. Can somebody please explain the rationale behind this ?

I can't.

>         Flemming

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------