Subject: V16 Review - Auditing contexts and their terminations

From: Nancy-M Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:54:20 -0600

Here are 2 issues with the ABNF that have come up on our review of 
section 7.2.5 AuditValue: 

1) 7.2.5 Audit Value - auditing all matching terminations and their 
contexts
 
Issue: The entry before the last in table we have 
"ContextID=ALL  , TerminationID= wildcard, Audit of all matching 
terminations and contexts to which they are associated." 

Comment: In the ABNF, the reply reads like this: 
AuditValue = contextID { t1,t2,...} 
We can't report all the contexts in this reply.
The ABNF must be fixed to allow returning list of contexts 
rather than just one with a list of terminations. 

2) 7.2.5 Audit Value - return all context ids 

Issue: The last entry in the table is:
ContextID=All, TerminationID=Root, list of all contextIDs, 

Comment: The ABNF does not allow a list of contextIDs 
returned on the audit. This has to be fixed to allow list of 
contexts. 

Also, we need to check whether the ASN.1 handles these 2 cases 
correctly.

Proposal: A proposal for solving these 2 issues in the ABNF: 

Auditing a context does not belong to any particular command. So it 
should stay out of AuditRequest. We already have a contextAudit in the 
ABNF, so we should use it instead. 

Case 1: List of all contexts and all terminations: 
Request: Context = ALL {ContextAudit{Terminations}, othercommands ....} 
Reply: Context=All {Root { Cid1 { t1,t2,3....}, Cid2 { ....}}, other
replies} 
; Terminations will be a new token added to contextAuditProperties 
; and we will need RootDescriptor (list of lists as above) 

Case 2: All terminations and a specific context 
Request: Context=Cid {ContextAudit{Terminations}, othercommands ...} 
Reply: Context=Cid { Terminations { t1,2,t3, ...}, other replies} 
; same as above but with TerminationsDescriptor this time (list of 
; terminations 

Case 3: All contexts, no terminations 
Request: Context=Cid or ALL {ContextAudit{Root}, othercommands ...} 
Reply: Context=Cid or ALL { Contexts { cid1,cid2,cid3, ...}, other replies} 
; RootToken, ContextsToken and ContextsDescriptor. 

This way we avoid falling into explaining AuditValue or AuditCapability 
for context audit and at the same time, auditing context at the context 
level. Also, remove contextTerminationsAudit from auditReply. 

Comments? 

Nancy
Abdallah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy M. Greene 
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks
T:514-271-7221 (internal:ESN853-1077) E:[email-masked]