Subject: FYI: new ID draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-00.txt

From: Bart Van Doorselaer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:42:17 +0100

"Issues for Megaco - Sigtran Interworking in ISDN Access Gateways ", Jan
Bouwen, Bart Van Doorselaer, Miek Dekeyser, 03/13/2000. (71198 bytes)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-00.txt

This document introduces the concept of an ISDN access gateway in the
context of Megaco/H.248 and Sigtran protocols. For these ISDN access
gateways, the ISDN B channels may be controlled by the Media Gateway
Controller using megaco/H.248 while the User-to-Network signaling
running over the D channels may be relayed to the Media Gateway
Controller using either megaco/H.248 or the Sigtran protocols. The main
issues involved are:
* Megaco/H.248 and Sigtran protocols may interwork in different ways in
ISDN access gateways, leaving room for non - interoperable solutions;
* Megaco needs additional packages in order to support ISDN terminations
in the ISDN access gateway;
* A data service may be offered to ISDN users via the ISDN D- channel,
introducing the need to introduce a NAS package for the D-channel.
This document addresses these issues, proposes and explains different
solutions and suggests best practice guideline for megaco / sigtran
interworking in ISDN access gateways.

Enjoy the reading.

--
                                              ____________________
Bart Van Doorselaer                           \                  /
_______________________________________________\                /____
                                                \              /
Research Engineer                                \  ALCATEL   /
DN2                                          Network Strategy Group
Tel   : +32 3 240 86 41                      Francis Wellesplein  1
Fax   : +32 3 240 99 32                     B-2018 Antwerpen Belgium
_____________________________________________________\    /__________
mailto:[email-masked]                 \  /
                                                       \/

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 06:01:47 -0800

I spoke to Jan today and I ought to fill in everyone else. First of all, at
the last design team conference call I was able to finally express verbally
my reasons for putting a TCP option into the UA's. We agreed to put a small
note about TCP in the introduction with a pointer to a TCP section later in
the documents. The bottom line is that SCTP is the main transport for the
UA's, but TCP is a viable option in *certain* scenarios. You'll all be able
to review this text in the rev's following Adelaide.

So with the ability to do TCP and the seemingly best choice of the SIGTRAN
IUA to transport many of us are recommending against ISDN backhaul with
MEGACO. It's obviously better to have one choice in this case.