Subject: Summary Of Errors Found In Megaco/H.248 Protocol Document

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 16:10:15 -0500

Wednesday is the end of the Last Call period for
draft-ietf-megaco-protocol-07.txt.  After a very quiet start, we do seem to
have a small list of issues which need rectification.  This is a summary for
your review.  Please pass any other issues you have found to the list ASAP.

Issue 1.
======
Source: Shalini Philip [[email-masked]], "Comments on V15: ABNF
related", Fri 11/02/00.
Section: 7.1.5 Termination State Descriptor and Annex B.
Section 7.1.5 mentions the possibility of CHOOSE wildcard as one of
the property values. However there is no provision for the same in the
ABNF.

Comments: this affects production propertyParm, which occurs in the
LocalControl and TerminationState descriptors:
   propertyParm         = pkgdName parmValue
Note that the ASN.1 production for propertyParm includes CHOOSE as a
possible value.

It would be possible to make CHOOSE an alternative within the parmValue
production, but the latter has broader scope than propertyParm: it is also
found within event parameters, signal parameters, the Modem descriptor, and
the ServiceChange extension parameter.  The most conservative choice is
therefore to modify the propertyParm production itself.

Proposed resolution: change the propertyParm production to read as follows:
   propertyParm         = pkgdName ( "$" / parmValue)

Issue 2.
======
Noticed while following up on the above comment.
Section: 7.1.5 Termination State Descriptor
Final bullet re CHOOSE also contains material regarding the
EventBufferControl property which was probably meant to be in a separate
paragraph.

Proposed resolution: editorial.

Issue 3.
======
Noticed in the Shalini Philip E-mail and by Michael Mackey.
Annex B: In the ServiceChange Descriptor, VersionToken is not defined.

Proposed resolution: add a definition for VersionToken.

Issue 4.
======
Noticed in the Shalini Philip E-mail.
Annex B: DiscardToken is not used anywhere.

Proposed resolution: remove the production for DiscardToken.

Issue 5.
======
Noted by Tom Taylor, John Segers, Ameneh Zahir-Emami.
Annex A: LocalControlDescriptor still contains the Reserve Boolean rather
than ReserveGroup and ReserveValue.

Proposed resolution: change to be consistent with the text and ABNF.

Issue 6.
======
Reference: Tom Taylor, "Changes Made In Geneva", 22/02/00.
Annex E section E.6.2: possible characters within the DigitString parameter
should include the "Z" rather than "L" long duration modifier.

Proposed resolution: fix typo.

Tom Taylor
Advisor -- Emerging Carrier IP Standards
E-mail: [email-masked] (internally, Tom-PT Taylor)
Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961

---

From: Pekka Pessi <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 23:31:59 +0200

>your review.  Please pass any other issues you have found to the list ASAP.

        A short glance to the document: Interim AH scheme described in 10.2
        is still the version from the January draft.  As noody seems to be
        very interested in Interim AH scheme, I propose it will be dropped
        off from the spec.

                                        Pekka Pessi