Subject: On D.1

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 19:15:46 -0500

Tom Taylor wrote

> 21) D.1, first paragraph, last sentence specifies that "Responses must

> be sent to the address and port from which the corresponding commands
> were sent except if the response to a handoff or failover, in which
case
> the procedures of 11.5 apply". While this may be reasonable for
> clustered systems, it does not seem reasonable for handoff between
> non-clustered systems. To enable reliable delivery of this message,
the
> response should still be sent to the source of the request, but
> otherwise the procedures of 11.5 applies.
        [[TomT]]  Sorry, what's the difference between what you propose
and
what's there now?

FSA:    Lets say we have two MGCs, MA and MB controlling a gateway G.
The way the current text reads, when MA wants to handoff G to MB and
therefore sends a ServiceChange to G, G will have to send the response
to MB rather than MA.

How does MA know if the ServiceChange got lost ? It can only figure that
out by having MB sending a confirmation to it which now dictates
synchronization between MA and MB. Instead, it would seem better to have
the response sent to MA. If synchronization is needed, it can still
occur by the new ServiceChange G will send to MB, however it's no longer
a requirement.

-- Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems