Subject: V16 review - Editorial comments

From: Nancy-M Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 20:35:24 -0600

Brian, John,
I believe each of the following is an editorial change to V16. You have both
seen most of these already, and commented on them - I am posting them to the
megaco list this time, with the proposed resolutions. Please comment!

1- Section 7.1.1 Specifying Parameters
Issue: para. starting with "Unspecified mandatory parameters
(i.e. mandatory parameters not specified in a descriptor) result
in the command responder retaining the previous value for that
parameter."

Comment: It seems that this section applies only to mandatory fields in
Local and Remote descriptors (see section 7.1.8). For example, when
a mandatory parameter is unspecified in the Local descriptor,
then it retains the value it already has. But, a mandatory parameter
in a ServiceChange HAS to be there I would think. For example, the
ServiceChangeMethod descriptor is mandatory, and must
always be present.

Proposal: Preface the quoted sentence in 7.1.1 with "For Local and
Remote Descriptors, unspecified mandatory parameters (i.e. mandatory
parameters not specified in a descriptor) result in the ...."

2- Section 7.1.6 Stream Descriptor
Issue: last sentence of first para, "A stream is deleted by
setting empty Local and Remote descriptors for the stream with
ReserveGroup and ReserveValue in LocalControl set to "false" on
all terminations in the context that previously supported that stream."

Comment: We don't have false or true in the ABNF, only "ON/OFF". The
text uses both true/false, and on/off.

Proposal: Make no changes to the text. Just add this comment:
"ON = true, and OFF = false" to the ABNF.

3- Section 7.1.7 LocalControl Descriptor - ReserveGroup/ReserveValue
Issue: There is no explanation as to what ReserveValue and
ReserveGroup mean.

Proposal: Add text something like the following:
"In order to state that one session description is to be selected
out of a list, ReserveGroup is set to "false". If resources for all
session descriptions are to be reserved, ReserveGroup is set
to "true". In order to state that a parameter with a list of values,
e.g. multiple rtp payload types, requires one value is to be
selected from the list, ReserveValue is set to "false". If resources
for all values are to be reserved, ReserveValue is set to "true".
In other words, overspecifying by giving a list of values can happen
independently at the session description level and at the parameter
level. "

4- Section 7.1.9 Events Descriptor - eventDM
Issue: eventDM is not mentioned in this section while it is part of the
eventsDescriptor syntax.

Proposal: Add this sentence:
"If a digit map is required in the EventsDescriptor, EventDM is used
to carry either the name or the value of the digit map. See
section 7.1.14."

5- Section 7.1.11 Signals Descriptor
Issue: setting of the signal list type

Proposal: Add the following to section 7.1.11:
* on/off in signal list
    -> it must be the last element, and signal list type must be on/off
* timeout in signal list (and NO on/off signals in the list)
     -> signal list type must be timeout
* only brief signals in signal list
    -> signal list type defaults to brief.

6- Section 7.1.12 Audit Descriptor, and also auditItem in the ABNF
Issue: the last entry in the table is "EventBuffer". auditItem in the ABNF
does not qualify it either which is incorrect.

Proposal: Change "EventBuffer" to "EventBuffer Descriptor" in both section
7.1.12
and in the ABNF.

7- Section 7.1.13 ServiceChangeDescriptor
Issue: Extension is not part of the enumeration

Comment: Is ServiceChangeDescriptor supposed to be extendable or not?
The ABNF still has an extension parameter in it.

8- Section 7.1.18 Topology Descriptor
Issue: para starting with "(T1,T2, bothway) means that ....
loopbacks are created by setting the TerminationMode."

Comment: We don't have TerminationMode any more.

Proposal: change it to read:
"...loopbacks are created by setting the StreamMode property to LoopBack
in the LocalControlDescriptor."

9- 7.2.5 Audit Value
Issue "W-" and "O-"
Comment: Text does not describe that wildcarded response
is qualified by "W-". Also, no  text explaining that
optional commands are qualified by "O-".

Proposal: in section  7.2.5, add the following:
"The wildcard response option (see section 6.2.2) is particularly useful
to limit the size of a n audit value command which uses a wildcard
terminationId. In ASN.1 encoding (Annex A), the flag "wildcardReturn"
is set on a command, and in ABNF (Annex B), the command is qualified
by the "W-" option."

Also, in section 8, add the following:
"In ASN.1 encoding, the flag "optional" is set on a command, and in the
ABNF, the command is qualified with the "O-" option."

10- Section 7.2.6 AuditCapabilities
Issue: AuditCapability API

Comment: same as in 9-Section 7.2.5

Proposal: Add same sentences as above, to this section.

11- Section 7.2.6 AuditCapabilities - DigitMap and Packages
Issue: DigitMap and Packages in the ABNF

Comment: The ABNF allows DigitMap and Packages
in the return of AuditCapability. The text says no. Need to
add a comment in the ABNF that explains this.

Proposal: Add the following comment to the ABNF:
"DigitMap and Packages are not permitted to be part of
AuditCapabilities"

12- ANNEX B: signalListParm
Issue: signalListParm = signalRequest

Comment: This is redundant.

Proposal: in the ABNF, signalRequest should replace
signalListParm in signalList.

13- ANNEX B:digitMapValue
Issue: digitMapDescriptor = DigitMapToken EQUAL digitMapName
( LBRKT digitMapValue RBRKT )

Comment: error with the round brackets

Proposal: it should be
digitMapDescriptor = DigitMapToken EQUAL digitMapName
[ LBRKT digitMapValue RBRKT ]

14- ANNEX B: version token
Issue: VersionToken is missing in the ABNF.

Proposal: Add VersionToken = ("Version" / "V")

Nancy & Abdallah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nancy M. Greene
Internet & Service Provider Networks, Nortel Networks
T:514-271-7221 (internal:ESN853-1077) E:[email-masked]

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:29:19 +1100

G'Day Nancy,

Please see my comments marked [CHG].

Cheers, Christian

Nancy-M Greene wrote:
>
> Brian, John,
> I believe each of the following is an editorial change to V16. You
> have both seen most of these already, and commented on them - I am
> posting them to the megaco list this time, with the proposed
> resolutions. Please comment!
>
[CHG] OK

> independently at the session description level and at the parameter
[CHG] I don't think this is necessary. The text currently states: "The
boolean-valued Reserve properties, ReserveValue and ReserveGroup" and
then it follows in the next 2 paragraphs about what to do. The terms
value and groups are used in other sections. This isn't an error at best
its something for a possible implementors guide.

>     -> signal list type defaults to brief.

[CHG] Isn't this in the determined draft? 2nd paragraph after list.

> Proposal: Change "EventBuffer" to "EventBuffer Descriptor" in both
> section 7.1.12
> and in the ABNF.
>
[CHG] I don't like the extension parameter but we do have it. See 7.2.8
no.7 in the list. And the text in 7.2.8 "The optional Extension
parameter may contain any value whose meaning is mutually understood by
the MG and MGC."

> in the LocalControlDescriptor."
[CHG] Perhaps we can just delete the text after the ";"? StreamMode =
Loopback is in 7.1.7

> is set on a command, and in ABNF (Annex B), the command is qualified

[CHG] Sect 6.2.2 already covers much of this. I don't see a need to
repeat the information in 7.2.5. 6.2.2 even recommends that this is
useful for audit.

> Proposal: Add same sentences as above, to this section.
[CHG] See my comment on 7.2.5

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:44:23 +0200

Some more comments.  Please see below.

John

> > parameters not specified in a descriptor) result in the ...."

I'm not sure that local and remote are the exceptions, or
ServiceChange.  Maybe we could say that if there is a previous value, it
is retained.  If there is not, then you generate an error message.

> its something for a possible implementors guide.

I agree with Christian that we don't need the extra text.

> > to carry either the name or the value of the digit map. See

Agreed, eventDM definitely has to be mentioned in this section, with a
reference to 7.1.14.

> [CHG] Isn't this in the determined draft? 2nd paragraph after list.

Yes, it is there.

> > Proposal: Change "EventBuffer" to "EventBuffer Descriptor" in both

Hmm.  That would make EventBufferDescriptor the only entry in the table
that includes the word "descriptor".  Since the text above the table
already says that "[the] AuditDescriptor specifies the list of
descriptors to be returned", I don't think that the proposed change adds
anything anyway.

> parameter may contain any value whose meaning is mutually understood by

The extension parameter in 7.2.8 is not the one that Nancy & Abdallah
mean.  The one in 7.2.8 is for ServiceChangeMethod.  The extension Nancy
and Abdallah refer to is adding a new parameter to the
ServiceChangeDescriptor itself (ServiceChangeSeason, ServiceChangeTax,
...).  I don't think that we need the extension at that level.

> [CHG] Perhaps we can just delete the text after the ";"? StreamMode =

Good idea, just end the sentence with "[...] no loopback is introduced."

> repeat the information in 7.2.5. 6.2.2 even recommends that this is

I agree with Christian that we don't need to restate the purpose of the
mechanisms.  We do need to tie wildcard response to W-, and optional
commands to O-.  I don't think that the link to W- should be added in
7.2.5.  Annex B (and maybe 6.2.2) seems to be a better place.

The link with the ASN.1 wildcardReturn and optional is clear enough, I
believe.

> [CHG] See my comment on 7.2.5

I don't think we need a change here.

> > "DigitMap and Packages are not permitted to be part of

People would hopefully read the text when implementing the protocol, not
just the syntax.  But I suppose that it doesn't hurt to add the comment.

> > signalListParm in signalList.

I'm trying to keep changes limited to bug fixing.  Does this change fix
anything that is broken?

> > [ LBRKT digitMapValue RBRKT ]

Ok.

> > Proposal: Add VersionToken = ("Version" / "V")

Ok.

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 306
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:48:55 -0800

> is retained.  If there is not, then you generate an error message.

Seems to be more complicated than necessary. I would much prefer to define all
parameters to be empty initially and just leave it at that.

-- Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen                Phone: +1 732 452 1667
Cisco Systems                     Fax:   +1 240 359 5839

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 16:32:54 +0200

Flemming,

I have no objection to that.

John

Flemming Andreasen wrote:
[snip]