Subject: Fwd: Re: new ID draft-sijben-megaco-cool-profile-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:25:54 -0500

It seems like the IETF Secretariat is too busy at the meeting to turn their autoresponder off.

So we are sending this to the list directly and try the secretariat again later.

We from I-@ppliance (http://www.bigfoot.com/~i-appliance) would like offer
the follwing profile & package to the MEGACO community.

From the abstract:
    This draft addresses two domestic needs and proposes
    solution to improve the life of many people using
    publicly available Internet technology. It may be
    the first of a series of such drafts aimed at
    addressing more of such needs.

    The draft specifies a profile of the megaco protocol
    for use with refrigerators.

The draft itself can be found at:
                 http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/sijben/i-appliance/draft-sijben-megaco-cool-profile-00.txt

 ---- you wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> We are sorry, but the cut-off for Internet-Draft submissions was Friday,
> March 10 at 5pm ET. Your submission will not be retained (i.e. you
> need to resubmit) after March 7th.
>
> Any submissions received prior to March 26, 2000 will not be retained;
> they must be resubmitted. Internet-Draft submissions received on or after
> March 27 will be processed. However, Internet-Draft announcements will
> not be sent until after the meeting concludes.
>
> If you receive this announcement, your submission will NOT be processed.
>
> Thank you for your understanding.
>
>
> IETF Secretariat
>

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:26:50 -0500

If all you want is status of the refrigerator door, then you could just use
SNMP with a Refrigerator MIB.  Of course, I'd want to know a few more
things and might want RMON.  For example, I might want to get a trap if the
temperature gets too low or too high.

Either way, considering the use of binary encoding, you might require the
refrigerator to implement ASN.1 (with BER) which might put too much
processing power burden on the refrigerator.

Perhaps we need a new protocol.  The Simple Refrigerator Control Protocol
(SRCP).  It could be a cooperative process between the IETF Megaco WG and the
Commercial Refrigerator Manufacturers Association (CRMA)

(http://www.arcat.com/arcatcos/cos07/arc07863.cfm)

Of course we would need a formal MOU negotiated between Tom and CRMA and
signed by Scott to make sure we have the SRCP standardization process in
place before we start.

;-), ;-), ;-)

> > Thank you for your understanding.

http://www.netaid.org
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 CTO Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------