Subject: A small event handling ambiguity

From: Steven Magnell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2000 11:59:39 -0500

Maybe I was just too tired at the time we last discussed event handling,
but there seems to be a small ambiguity in the current description of event
handling (section 7.1.9)

If the current state of event handling is where the MG is in LockStep mode,
processing events from the event buffer, event buffer control can be set to
off independent from loading of a new events descriptor.

If this happens, all events in the buffer are discarded. The description of
handling events when in LockStep mode are all with respect to processing
events when a new descriptor has been loaded.

For example, Case 2: "If EventBufferControl equals Off and the MG receives
a new EventsDescriptor, it processes new events with the new
EventsDescriptor".

The ambiguity, at least in my mind, is what happens if no new events
descriptor has been loaded since the last event was detected and notified.

Does the MG, once event buffer control has been set to off, process events
according to the last loaded events descriptor, even if it was deactivated
since it had detected an event while in LockStep mode, or is there now no
active events descriptor and a new one must be loaded before any event
processing can happen?

Comments, Answers?

Thanks,
steve magnell

---

From: Chip Sharp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 18:58:57 -0800

The first line of the new text states:

"The MG shall send a Notify command to the MGC when it detects an event in
the Events Descriptor."

Thus, if EventBufferControl = OFF, the above sentence applies to the
current EventsDescriptor.  The MG continues processing events according to
the current EventsDescriptor until some other action happens that affects
this (e.g., receipt of a new EventsDescriptor, changing the status of the
EventBufferControl parameter, etc.).

It is only if EventBufferControl=LockStep does the MG stop processing
according to the current EventsDescriptor after the above action.

>active events descriptor and a new one must be loaded before any event

Support NetAid!  http://www.netaid.org
--------------------------------------------------
Chip Sharp                 Consulting Engineering
Cisco Systems              Telco Bio-region
Reality - Love it or Leave it.
--------------------------------------------------