Subject: KeepAlive and DigitMaps

From: Gordon Cutts <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:35:12 -0500

To whom it may concern,

Once again I have a question regarding MGCP, but unfortunately the thread
traffic is all but dead at [email-masked] so I am forced to use this list
.. I hope nobody is bothered too much by this :)

Brief history of the problem:

> Will they support our shortcut for digits of keeping the digit request
> 'alive' until overwritten by another request? If not, DigitMap will cover
> the initial dialing of digits, but not the feature interface. 'KeepAlive'
> may be the option we use to tell them this request must remain alive until
> canceled.
>
> [Gordon] I don't see how the requested action (K) can be used on a
requested
> event such as "R: D/[0-9#*T](N)"  My understanding of "K" is that it is
for
> "Keep Signal(s) Active", and not for keeping events active.  If you give
us
> the following requested event "R: D/[0-9#*T](N)" the behaviour is for the
> gateway to report the DTMF when it occurs and continue doing so until it
> receives a response.

Basically the Call Agent wants to have a digit map that will support DTMFs
during the call for the purpose of calling cards etc.  This would require a
digit map that could cover every possible number combination and would
therefore be much too large.  The alternative [X.T] is not acceptable due to
the timeout factor being too slow.  The solution, notify the CA as DTMFs are
received, with the following request: "R: D/[0-9#*T](N)".  Unfortunately
this requires a new digit map after every NTFY for a DTMF is sent to the CA.
The action in question now is "K", the KeepAlive action.  So as to not be
repetitive my opinion can be seen above.

I was hoping to get some feedback on the true behavior of the action "K"
before I change anything and risk becoming too proprietary.

Thanks to all in advance.

Regards,

Gordon Cutts

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:27:13 -0800

Hi Gordon

> > may be the option we use to tell them this request must remain alive until

I'm not sure I follow this, as my comments below may reflect. Please let me know
if I misunderstood.

> > "Keep Signal(s) Active", and not for keeping events active.

Correct.

>  If you give
> > gateway to report the DTMF when it occurs

Yes.

> and continue doing so until it
> > receives a response.

I assume you refer to retransmission here, otherwise I'm not sure I follow. You
probably only wanted to do this using "loop" mode, in which case you would
continue doing so until you get a new RQNT (encapsulated or not).

> this requires a new digit map after every NTFY for a DTMF is sent to the CA.

The way the request is shown, there is no digit map in the MG - DTMF events are
simply reported as they are detected. Also, if you use "loop" mode, you can send
more than one NTFY per RQNT.

> before I change anything and risk becoming too proprietary.

The only thing the "K" action would give you, is to keep signals active on DTMF
input. For example, if you had some tone playing, and you didn't want it to be
interrupted by DMTF input, you could use this. In this particular case, I
suspect that's not quite what you are looking for though.

> Thanks to all in advance.

Regards

        Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems

---

From: David Butler <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:10:27 -0500

To whom it may concern,

I have been tailing the MGCP group communications and wish to include other
members of the team here at TCS. Can someone tell us how to subscribe.

Thanks,

David Butler/TCS

-----Original Message-----
From:   [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Flemming Andreasen
Sent:   Tuesday, March 21, 2000 2:27 PM
To:     Gordon Cutts
Cc:     [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject:        [MGCP]: Re: KeepAlive and DigitMaps

Hi Gordon

> > may be the option we use to tell them this request must remain alive
until

I'm not sure I follow this, as my comments below may reflect. Please let me
know
if I misunderstood.

Correct.

Yes.

> and continue doing so until it

I assume you refer to retransmission here, otherwise I'm not sure I follow.
You
probably only wanted to do this using "loop" mode, in which case you would
continue doing so until you get a new RQNT (encapsulated or not).

> this requires a new digit map after every NTFY for a DTMF is sent to the
CA.

The way the request is shown, there is no digit map in the MG - DTMF events
are
simply reported as they are detected. Also, if you use "loop" mode, you can
send
more than one NTFY per RQNT.

> before I change anything and risk becoming too proprietary.

The only thing the "K" action would give you, is to keep signals active on
DTMF
input. For example, if you had some tone playing, and you didn't want it to
be
interrupted by DMTF input, you could use this. In this particular case, I
suspect that's not quite what you are looking for though.

Regards

        Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 14:19:28 -0800

Sure

Just send a message to "[email-masked]" with "subscribe mgcp" in the
message body.

Regards

        Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems