Subject: Is ServiceChangeMgcId Optional on Cold Start?

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:09:41 -0400

This is the first in what I expect will be a series of
issues that we discover at the Interop.  Yes, testing has not
begun yet, but we already have one.  The question is, what does
the MGC send in a ServiceChange reply?

The text currently states:
   Upon a cold start of the MG, it will issue a
   ServiceChange command with a "Restart" method, on the Root
   Termination to its primary MGC.  If the MGC accepts the MG,
   it will send a Transaction Accept, with the ServiceChangeMgcId
   set to itself.

Note that this implies ServiceChangeMgcId is not optional.
I think this is incorrect and the text should state:
"...with the ServiceChangeMgcId omitted or set to itself."

Following the usual IETF dictum about "be strict in what you
send, liberal in what you accept", MGCs SHOULD set
ServiceChangeMgcId, MGs should NOT depend on it.

Brian

---

From: chennu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 18:52:46 +0530

Hi Brian,

The text explaining ServiceChangeMgcId is contradictory. I am giving the
text in 7.2.8 of Megaco-merged-01 document
"ServiceChangeMgcId provides an alternative address where the MG should
seek to establish another association."
I am giving some more lines under the same section
"The return from ServiceChange is empty except when the Root
   terminationID is used.  In that case it includes the following
   parameters as required:
   * ServiceChangeMgcId, if the responding MGC does not wish to sustain
      an association with the MG "
I think this text makes more meaning and the ServiceChangeMgcId should
be omitted when MGC accepts the ServiceChange command from MG.

Thanks,
Chennu.