Subject: Default UDP Ports for MGCP v1.0 and MEGACO

From: Kelly Houston <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:23:13 PDT

All,

In regards to sending out commands verbs, both MGCP v1.0 and the MEGACO
Internet Draft specifically state that the sender of the command (MG or MGC)
should use the default UDP port.

2944 for MEGACO (text-based)
2427 for MGCP MGC to MG
2727 for MGCP MG to MGC

However, it seems as if the two protocols do not agree on how to send the
responses when they are not explicitly defined.

The MEGACO document (standard) states that:

"Responses must be sent to the address and port from which the corresponding
commands were sent."

MGCP v1.0 (RFC2705) states that:

"When no port is specified for the endpoint, the commands should be
sent:

   *  by the Call Agents, to the default MGCP port for gateways, 2427.

   *  by the Gateways, to the default MGCP port for Call Agents, 2727."

Does this mean that for all MGCP v1.0 compliant implementations the MG
should respond to commands on port 2727 unless otherwise defined, or is this
a typo which should read port 2427 which would make the definition
consistent to what is being proposed in MEGAGO?

If anyone can clarify this please let me know.

Thanks.

Kelly Houston
Senior Staff Engineer
Valiant Networks, Inc.
ph: (408) 360-9242

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://profiles.msn.com.