Subject: Retransmission Algorithm

From: Bharat Kaul <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 12:14:18 -0700

I didn't see any comments on following posting. So am resending the posting.

Comments please :)

- Bharat

-----Original Message-----
From: Bharat Kaul [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 4:17 PM

I have a question regarding usage of multiple IP addresses. Does MEGACO
follow
same retransmission algorithm as RFC 2705 with max1 and max2 as thresholds
and contacting DNS in between as required ? The Megaco document doesn't seem
to say that except a casual mention in D.1.5 section.

If the retransmission algorithm doesn't have max1 and max2 thresholds, are
multiple IP addresses of any significance for communication between a MG and
an MGC with no clear way defined for switching between IP Addresses ?

On a similar note, are we required to maintain TTL for IP addresses and
contact DNS in MEGACO too ?

  Thanks
- Bharat

---

From: Qiaobing Xie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 15:51:03 -0500

If you use SCTP as the transport (Megaco/Annex H), all the issues you
described here will be covered by SCTP...

-Qiaobing

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 17:50:31 -0400

Although domain names are allowed, use of multiple IP addresses for clustered
systems is unspecified in Megaco. That doesn't mean you can't go ahead and use
the 2705 mechanism, however you can't depend on it being supported either.

-- Flemming

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems