Subject: Query on termination state

From: Kushanava Laha <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:53:01 +0530

Hi List,
     I would appreciate your views on the following points.

1. What is the impact of a termination being made  "outofservice" in the MG
through the
ServiceStates property of the termination state descriptor? The protocol says
that "the termination cannot be used for traffic".
     a) For a termination which was carrying traffic, does it mean that in
addition
     to setting aside the termination from further usage, since no further
signals
     and events should be entertained on the termination, is all signal, event
and
     observed events descriptor pertaining to the termination cleared ?
     b) Since a Subtract may come later for the termination,if it was in an
active context,
     can Subtract be processed for an "outofservice" termination?
     c) For an ephemeral termination particularly(whose existense is only in an
active context), is
     an "outofservice" equivalent to setting the mode property in the
LocalControl Descriptor
     as "inactive"? (The termination cannot be deleted as the same action is
expected to
     happen subsequently on getting a Subtract) ?
2. What is the impact  of a an "outofservice" termination within an active
context in the MG being
made "inservice" through the ServiceStates property of the termination
descriptor ? The
protocol just mentions that "it can be used for normal traffic" ?
     a) Does it mean that the MG can start honouring signal and event descriptor
and start reporting
     events for  the termination?
     b) Does it mean that the ephemeral termination mode property in the
LocalControl Descriptor
     is set to the mode previous to the change done while making it
"outofservice" ?
3. What impact does a ServiceChange have on a termination, physical (in active
or NULL context) or ephemeral
(in active context only), in an MG, when the method is Restart?
     a) Does it attempt to put all "outofservice" terminations to "inservice"
state as described above?

thanks,
Kushanava Laha,
Hughes Software Systems.