Subject: Re: Package descriptor for ROOT.

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 08:54:57 -0500

The resolution of this question in the past (e.g. in Oslo) was that an audit
of packages on ROOT only reveals those packages supported by the ROOT
termination.  As far as I am concerned, the ultimate answer to the "auditing
of ephemerals" question will be to define packages with ROOT termination
properties which indicate the capability of the MG to support specific types
of termination.  These package properties could include naming patterns,
interface identifiers (e.g. IPv4 or IPv6 addresses), and relevanr resource
limits.  Since I believe this, perhaps I should be the one to draw up first
drafts of the packages I have in mind.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Madhu Babu [SMTP:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2000 8:26 AM
> To:   [email-masked]
> Subject:      Package descriptor for ROOT.
>
> MGC if intends to "audit" packages supported by MG on ROOT, does
> the response from MG indicates the packages supported on ROOT
> termination or "UNION" of packages supported on different
> terminations in MG?
> -Madhubabu

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 18:32:59 -0400

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:

>
>
> The resolution of this question in the past (e.g. in Oslo) was that an
> audit of packages on ROOT only reveals those packages supported by the
> ROOT termination.

Contrary to Brian's response, that was my expectation as well, not least
considering the following text in Section 6.2.5 (root termination):

"* an AuditValue return - to examine the values of properties and
statistics implemented on root"

-- Flemming

> As far as I am concerned, the ultimate answer to the "auditing of
> ephemerals" question will be to define packages with ROOT termination
> properties which indicate the capability of the MG to support specific
> types of termination.  These package properties could include naming
> patterns, interface identifiers (e.g. IPv4 or IPv6 addresses), and
> relevanr resource limits.  Since I believe this, perhaps I should be
> the one to draw up first drafts of the packages I have in mind.
>
--
Flemming Andreasen                Phone: +1 732 452 1667
Cisco Systems                     Fax:   +1 240 359 5839

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 23:28:34 +1000

G'Day all,

I would have thought that as the "root termination" is not really a
physical termination but relates to the MG as a whole that it would also
support all the packages in a MG. ie. if you added a package to a
termination you'd add it to the root termination. So I still support
Brian's response. In effect you would get the union.

Cheers, Christian

Flemming Andreasen wrote:
>
>
>
> Tom-PT Taylor wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > The resolution of this question in the past (e.g. in Oslo) was that
> > an audit of packages on ROOT only reveals those packages supported
> > by the ROOT termination.
>
> Contrary to Brian's response, that was my expectation as well, not
> least considering the following text in Section 6.2.5 (root
> termination):
>
> > ephemerals" question will be to define packages with ROOT
> > termination properties which indicate the capability of the MG to
> > support specific types of termination.  These package properties
> > could include naming patterns, interface identifiers (e.g. IPv4 or
> > IPv6 addresses), and relevanr resource limits.  Since I believe
> > this, perhaps I should be the one to draw up first drafts of the
> > packages I have in mind.
> >

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:21:47 -0400

So let me ask what you would do if asked to audit e.g. the EventsDescriptor
on the ROOT termination ? There should at least be consistency between the
answer to this question and package auditing on ROOT.

-- Flemming

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 23:59:14 +1000

G'Day Flemming,

I don't think I made myself clear. I don't support union as an automatic
option as you allude to the EventsDescriptor below. I am saying that if
you have a MG that supports a number of packages that you would
provision the Root Termination with this complete set. I assume this
would be done as the Root Termination represents the gateway. So you get
back what is on root, not all the terminations in the MG.

But having said that you could equally do an audit ALL and wildcard
response.

Cheers, Christian