Subject: Subtract command

From: Nurit Shenhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:31:37 +0200

Hi

1.What is the meaning of the "W-" (Wildcarded response) in the subtract
command and in the AuditRequest   Command?

2. It says that as default, the statistics shall be returned in the subtract
reply. Does it mean that it will be sent even if the Audit descriptor does
not exist?

Thenks

Nurit

---

From: Xiaotao Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 15:24:38 -0400

Is it valid to specify Topology for the terminations not in the context?

For Add termination command, we in fact do this if we specify the topology
for the terminations we want to add in. We deal with topology first before
we add the terminations in.

If we can do this, when the wildcard is used to specify the topology,
whether this topology will also be applied to the future terminations?
e.g., we do (*, *, ISOLATE), later on, we add a termination A, A should be
ISOLATE with others, or A is connected to the others by default BOTHWAY?

Can we keep the topology if the terminations are not in the
context? E.g., we have (A, B, ONEWAY), then we do Subtract B, and B is
removed from the context. If later on, we add B back, what will be the
topology between A and B? Still be ONEWAY or just the default BOTHWAY?

Thanks!

-Xiaotao

====================================================
Name : Xiaotao Wu  (Always available by email!)
Email: [email-masked], [email-masked]
URL  : http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~xiaotaow
Work Phone: (212)939-7087, Home Phone: (212)795-1963
Office: Room 623, Schapiro (CEPSR), West 120th
====================================================

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:55:50 +1000

G'Day Xiaotao,

I belive topology is only valid for the action after it, thus if you
subtract a termination A you also lose the topology associated with it.
Therefore if you add it back you will need to respecify the topology.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: chennu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 11:14:51 +0530

Hi Nurit,

I am answering your 2 Question.

Yes Statistics Descriptor is returned by default. But if Audit Descriptor is
sent in the Subtract command with some descriptors set in that then the only the

requested descriptors are sent back. If none of the descripotors is set in the
Audit Descriptor then nothing is returned in the reply sent for the Subtract
command.
Hope I have cleared your doubt .

-- Chennu.

---

From: Shalini Philip <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:08:36 +0530

Hello Christian and all,
     I differ with your statement that if you add the termination back you will
need to respecify the topology. IMO, whenever terminations are added to a
context, the last specified value of the topology descriptor is used, unless a
new one is specified by MGC in the same action. So, the MGC need not always
respecify the topology whenever terminations are added to a context. If the
topology descriptor does not have any information regarding the termination to
be added, the default topology of bothway would be applied.

Any comments?

 Thanks & Regards,
  Shalini Philip.

--
Regards,

Shalini Philip
Globespan Inc.
E-Mail : mailto:[email-masked]
Web    : http://www.globespan.net

---

From: chennu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:10:42 +0530

Hi ,

I agree with Christain topology for the Termination subtracted from a Context is
lost.
My reasoning : When you subtract a termination from a context you are not sure
whether that termination is added again to the same context or not.
I think, the topology descriptor can be retained only when placing a termination on
hold.

Thanks,
Chennu.