Subject: Re: draft-brown-supplpkgs-00.txt + special dial tone

From: Nicolas Dramais <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 18:30:01 +0200

hello,

just two points :

1) what is going on with the draft-brown-supplpkgs-00.txt ? Although Tom has
stated his will to make it a Megaco work item, I cannot see it appearing at
Megaco work page :
http://www.ietf.org/ids.by.wg/megaco.html

2) actually not a question but rather a proposal : special dial tone

some supplementary services activated in a given user's profile may require
the sending of a some kind of "special dial tone" different from the "standard
dial tone" towards the user to remind him that a service is activated
hopefully before he dials anything in.

- one cannot create this special dial tone (spdt) starting from the dial tone
signal defined in the Call Progress Tones Generator package presented in
draft-ietf-megaco-merged-01.txt since its definition doesn't foresee
additional parameters like frequency or cadence.

- however, the spdt may dynamically be created on call basis starting from the
generic and standardized dial tone and changing the frequency/cadence thanks
to the Dynamic Tone Definition package presented in
draft-ietf-megaco-h248j-00.txt.
Although this seems to give a flexible solution, I think it is worth adding an
official SignalID for a special dial tone within the Basic Services Tones
Generation Package presented in draft-brown-supplpkgs-00.txt so that the same
standardized SignalID is used all over the world for all enhanced service
implementations which make use of such kind of special dial tone.

I would define it in the following way:
Basic Services Tones Generation Package (draft-brown-supplpkgs-00.txt):
PackageID: srvtn

Special Dial Tone
SignalID: spdt (0x00??)
Generate special dial tone. The physical characteristics of special dial tone
is available in the gateway.
Signal Type: Timeout.
Duration: Provisioned.
Additional Parameters : None.

Any further input is warmly welcome.

Kind regards,
Nicolas Dramais, NGN - Alcatel SRD Antwerp, Belgium.

Tom-PT Taylor wrote:

> Please state any objections to making draft-brown-supplpkgs-00.txt a Megaco
> work item.  If I do not see any by Thursday I shall make it so.
>
> Tom Taylor
> Lead Standards Developer
> Phone and FAX: +1 613 736 0961
> E-mail: [email-masked]