Subject: Re: Default UDP Ports for MGCP v1.0 and MEGACO

From: Bharat Kaul <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:21:52 -0700

Kelly,

 Both protocols say the same thing. The statement you pointed out from
RFC2705 says "Commands should be sent to default port". Note that it is
talking about commands.
Responses to those commands must always be sent to the source transport
address which is same as defined in MEGACO.

MEGACO, however, has additional procedures defined for switching to
different ports through protocol mechanisms for tranmission to commands to
ports other than default. But responses in all cases must be sent to source
transport address.

- Bharat

-----Original Message-----
From: Kelly Houston [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2000 4:23 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Default UDP Ports for MGCP v1.0 and MEGACO

All,

In regards to sending out commands verbs, both MGCP v1.0 and the MEGACO
Internet Draft specifically state that the sender of the command (MG or MGC)
should use the default UDP port.

2944 for MEGACO (text-based)
2427 for MGCP MGC to MG
2727 for MGCP MG to MGC

However, it seems as if the two protocols do not agree on how to send the
responses when they are not explicitly defined.

The MEGACO document (standard) states that:

"Responses must be sent to the address and port from which the corresponding
commands were sent."

MGCP v1.0 (RFC2705) states that:

"When no port is specified for the endpoint, the commands should be
sent:

   *  by the Call Agents, to the default MGCP port for gateways, 2427.

   *  by the Gateways, to the default MGCP port for Call Agents, 2727."

Does this mean that for all MGCP v1.0 compliant implementations the MG
should respond to commands on port 2727 unless otherwise defined, or is this
a typo which should read port 2427 which would make the definition
consistent to what is being proposed in MEGAGO?

If anyone can clarify this please let me know.

Thanks.

Kelly Houston
Senior Staff Engineer
Valiant Networks, Inc.
ph: (408) 360-9242

_________________________________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free E-mail from MSN Hotmail at http://www.hotmail.com.

Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
http://profiles.msn.com.

---

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 19:46:09 -0400

Bharat Kaul wrote:

> MEGACO, however, has additional procedures

Different procedures rather. NotifiedEntity in MGCP serves this purpose.

-- Flemming

> defined for switching to

--
Flemming Andreasen
Cisco Systems