Subject: IANA Registration Of Packages

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:29:04 -0500

I have compiled the following set of instructions to IANA for registration
of Megaco/H.248 packages.  Before I submit it, I would like your comments.

I believe I capture the content of our sections 12 and 13 (though in main
part by reference).  I have taken two liberties:
 -- the private numbering range has been extended a bit to round out the
hexadecimal representation
 -- I impose a naming convention for private packages which requires an
originator-specific part followed by an underscore as the first part of the
package name.

So ... comments?

INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE REGISTRATION OF MEGACO/H.248 PACKAGES

1. Introduction

   Packages are the primary mechanism for extension of the Megaco/H.248
   Gateway Control Protocol.  Packages define additional Properties,
   Events, Signals and Statistics that may occur on Terminations or on
   the Media Gateway as a whole.

   Packages may also define new Megaco/H.248 error codes. This is a
   matter of documentary convenience: the package documentation is
   submitted to IANA in support of the error code registration. If a
   package is updated, it is unnecessary to provide IANA with a new
   document reference in support of the error code unless the
   description of the error code itself is modified.

2. Relationships Between Packages

   A new package may be independent, may extend another package, or may
   be a new version of a previously registered package.

3. Conditions For Registration Of Packages

   Megaco/H.248 packages may be registered with IANA as either public
   or private packages.

3.1 Common Requirements For Registration

   The following information MUST be supplied for every registered
   package:

       a) the proposed text name for the package.  Text names MUST be
          unique, with the exception that a new version of a previously
          registered package MUST have the same name as the package it
          updates.

       b) the version number of the package.  Version numbers are
          consecutive integers beginning with 1 for the initial version
          of a package.

       c) if the package extends another package, the text name and, if
          available, serial number of the other package.

       d) a contact name and E-mail and postal addresses for that
          contact.  The contact information MUST be updated by the
          defining organization as necessary.

3.2 Additional Requirements For Registration Of Private Packages

   Private packages MUST have text names of the form
         qualifier "_" packageName
   where qualifier is unique to the organization or individual
   registering the package.  There is no additional requirement beyond
   this and the requirements stated in the previous section.

3.3 Additional Requirements For Registration Of Public Packages

   Public packages MUST satisfy the following requirements additional
   to those stated in section 3.1:

     a) The defining organization MUST supply a reference to a
        publicly-available document which describes the package.  The
        document SHOULD be located on a public web server and SHOULD
        have a stable URL.  The documentation MUST remain available
        even when a new version of the package is registered. The
        organization SHOULD indicate within the document where
        comments on that document may be sent.

     b) The document MUST have achieved an advanced degree of technical
        stability.

     c) The defining organization MUST indicate whether the document is
        still a work in progress or is final.  For a work in progress,
        the organization MUST indicate the planned date of the final
        document.  When such a document does become final, the defining
        organization MUST advise IANA of the change in status and MUST
        ensure that the reference held by IANA is that of the final
        document.

     d) IANA MUST be satisfied that the cited document satisfies the
        requirements given in section 12 of RFC XXXX (currently draft-
        ietf-megaco-merged-01.txt) or Recommendation H.248 (the
        corresponding ITU-T document).  IANA may draw upon the services
        of an expert adviser in making this assessment.

4. IANA Actions

   IANA will assign a serial number to each package meeting the
   conditions of registration (except for an update of an existing
   package, which retains the serial number of the package it is
   updating), in consecutive order of registration.  The serial number
   will be used to identify the package in the binary-coded version of
   the Megaco/H.248 protocol.  Serial number 0 is reserved, and the
   initial tabulation of public packages is given below.  Public
   packages MUST be given serial numbers in the range 0x0001 to 0xfdff.
   Private packages MUST be given serial numbers in the range 0xfe00 to
   0xffff.

   IANA will maintain the currency and public availability of the
   tabulation of public and private packages.  Packages will be listed
   in increasing order of serial number.  Updates to packages will be
   listed in increasing order of version number.

5. Initial Tabulation Of Public Packages

   Serial Text Name  Ver   Extends   Status    Reference/
                         Serial  Ver           Contact

   0x0001 g            1      -    - Final     Annex E of RFC xxxx or
                                               ITU-T Rec. H.248
                                               Glen Freundlich
                                               [email-masked]
   0x0002 root         1      -    - Final     ditto
   0x0003 tonegen      1      -    - Final     ditto
   0x0004 tonedet      1      -    - Final     ditto
   0x0005 dg           1 0x0003    1 Final     ditto
   0x0006 dd           1 0x0004    1 Final     ditto
   0x0007 cg           1 0x0003    1 Final     ditto
   0x0008 cd           1 0x0004    1 Final     ditto
   0x0009 al           1      -    - Final     ditto
   0x000a ct           1      -    - Final     ditto
   0x000b nt           1      -    - Final     ditto
   0x000c rtp          1 0x000b    1 Final     ditto
   0x000d tdmc         1 0x000b    1 Final     ditto
   0x000e ftmd         1 0x0004    1 IP 11/00  RFC yyyy /H.248 Annex F
                                               Glen Freundlich
                                               [email-masked]
   0x000f txc          1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0010 txp          1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0011 ctyp         1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0012 fax          1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0013 ipfax        1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0014 dis          1      -    - IP 11/00  RFC yyyy /H.248 Annex G
                                               Glen Freundlich
                                               [email-masked]
   0x0015 key          1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0016 kp           1 0x0015    1 IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0017 labelkey     1 0x0015    1 IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0018 kf           1 0x0017    1 IP 11/00  ditto
   0x0019 ind          1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x001a ks           1 0x0017    1 IP 11/00  ditto
   0x001b anci         1      -    - IP 11/00  ditto
   0x001c dtd          1      -    - IP 11/00  RFC yyyy /H.248 Annex J
                                               Glen Freundlich
                                               [email-masked]
   0x001d an           1      -    - IP 11/00  RFC yyyy /H.248 Annex K
                                               Glen Freundlich
                                               [email-masked]

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 10:05:30 +1000

G'Day Tom,

Looks good. Just a couple of comments marked CHG below.

Cheers, Christian

> hexadecimal representation
[CHG] OK by me.
>    description of the error code itself is modified.
[CHG] What do you mean document reference? I thought that the package
that was being registered was the document which described the error
code?

>    be a new version of a previously registered package.
[CHG] Perhaps the statement about a new version needs to be changed? Its
not really a 'new' package. Only the new version number would be
registered with IANA not a new name.

>           available, serial number of the other package.
[CHG] The serial number will always be available as its mandatory in the
package description. ie. "if the package extends another package, the
text name and serial number of the package it extends."

>           defining organization as necessary.
[CHG] How would this work for different organisations? For example in
the ITU would it be the TSB? In the IETF who would it be if it comes
through the WG process? Would it be enough to just reference the
appropriate document number as this won't change but people do?

>    this and the requirements stated in the previous section.
[CHG] How is this qualifier kept unique? Is it up to IANA to police
this?

>         comments on that document may be sent.
[CHG] Public web server? Does a web server that has password protection
count ie. ITU, MSF etc?
I know the recommendation states this but should we clarify it here?
>    0x001d an           1      -    - IP 11/00  RFC yyyy /H.248 Annex K
[CHG] Is Glen the appropriate reference or should the TSB be referenced?

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:07:36 +0200

Tom,

First a minor nit: your first liberty amounts to proposing a change in
the H.248/Megaco standard.  I'm not saying that this change cannot be
accommodated, but it might be less trouble if we stick to the
60000-64565 range.  As an aside, I have no idea how we ever came up with
the 64565.

Second, as this affects organizations such as ITU-T, were you planning
to have it reviewed at the upcoming Portland rapporteurs' meeting?  I
think that, in particular, the provision that old versions must remain
available is something that ITU may have a problem with.

Cheers,

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 303
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954