Subject: First Megaco Interop Test a big success!

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 19:54:29 -0400

Testing has just completed at the first interop event.
We had some dropouts (implementations that could not complete
any significant testing due to bugs).  My actual participation
count is 16 organizations, 48 people, 10 MG implementations
and 6 MGC implementations, all independently developed.  There
were three test equipment vendors who brought network analyzers.

Of the 10 x 6 pair matrix, there were 6 instances of a
single implementer bring both MG and MGCs, which we did
not test.  One of the MGs could only send binary encoded
commands, and only one of the MGCs could handle binary
(it could also do text encoding).  Of the remaining 48
possible pairs, we tried all but 13.

As you might expect, nothing worked on first try!
Plenty of furious code debugging, patching, editing
and recompiling commenced.

Of the trials, we judged 6 as failing - which primarily were
due to incompatible simplifying assumptions made in the
clearly early stage of implementing.  7 of the tests
passed up to Level 1, which was a very simple connection
between two ports of a gateway.  The rest were judged
to have passed up to Level 3, which is a real basic call,
with dial tone, hook switch, dialplan, ring and answer!
Almost all of these included media flow!  We counted some of
these as passing even if there were some small problems.

We had several successful calls between two MGs, including
a test of two MGs from different implementers with a
MGC from a third!

I have now issued emails to the list with all of the issues we
discovered (other than clearly wrong assumptions made by
almost everyone at some point).  I'd say the document is
pretty darn good.

There will be a formal report of the event issued as an I-D
within the next couple of weeks.

Brian