Subject: Re: auditing when everything is in th NULL context

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 10:09:14 -0400

> I  wonder , when all terminations are in the NULL context
> what should be
> replied in the localControlDescriptor in the
> StreamMode , is it just not present in this descriptor ?
> Secondly , i wonder what are the properties that are replied
> in the local
> control descriptor ?

Hmmm, excellent question.  The root of the question is, "are there
any streams active for a termination in Null Context?"  There is a
somewhat wider question which is "do streams have to be explicitly
created before any stream-dependent properties/events/signals can
be audited?"  The latter leads to the question "when is a stream
created?"

I just posted an answer to a list question that used an example of
applying a signal (dialtone) to a termination which was in the
null context.  If that is legal, then streams CAN be active on
a termination in the null context.  We get back to when is the
stream created?  I don't recall any discussion on this point.

I think there are two possibilities:
        The first action that creates media (be it a Media/Local/Remote
                descriptor, or a signal, creates a media stream, and
                a Subtract, or a properly constructed Media/Local/Remote
                descriptor deletes streams.  This implies that there
                are no streams active on a termination in null context
                after boot, or after a subtract, but you create one by
                putting media on the termination.
        There is always a default StreamId=1 stream, others are created
                by a Media descriptor, and deleted by a Media Descriptor
                or Subtract.

I'd favor the former, but don't think there is very much practical
difference except the exact question you asked.  If there are no streams
at some times then if you audited, you would never get a LocalControl,
nor a StreamMode when there was not a stream, and you would when there
was.  If there are always streams with StreamId=1, then you do get
StreamMode, and you also get a LocalControl descriptor.

The second question you ask is easier to answer.  If there are any
properties defined in LocalControl for packages implemented on a
termination, then those values are returned in LocalControl for active
streams.  "Active" is the issue, as discussed above.

Need more opinions I think.  Maybe this was settled, and I just
don't remember how.

Brian

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 13:22:16 +1100

G'Day Brian,

I think its a mix of your first possibility and provisioning. Typically
the first actions will create the stream unless it is previously
provisioned on the MG.

Cheers, Christian

Cheers, Christian