Subject: Global digitmaps

From: Nurit Shenhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 11:58:59 +0200

Hi list

I would like some clarifications about using global digit maps. My
understanding is this:

1. When a termination gets a DigitMap descriptor that contains a name of a
global map and no value, it refers to the global value and doesn't keep a
local copy of it.

2.  The termination keeps a local copy of a map if it gets global name with
a value other than the original one.

3. If a global DigitMap is deleted, it is also deleted from all the
terminations using the reference to it. Active map shall be deleted after
completion.

Best regards

Nurit Shenhar
AudioCodes Ltd.

Direct: +972-3-539-4155
Tel:     +972-3-539-4000
Fax:    +972-3-539-4040
email:  [email-masked]

web:    <http://www.audiocodes.com>

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 08:06:54 -0400

I'm not sure if your understanding is wrong, but your explanation is a bit
rough.
Think of digitmaps like variables in a programming language.

There are local variables, and global variables
Variables have to be defined before they are used.
You define these "variables" with the DIgitMap descriptor

You use a digitmap somewhat like a procedure call.  You can
supply a name (variable), value (constant).  You can also
supply a value and a name which is equivalent to use the "constant"
and assign the value to the name (for subsequent use).

Because a digitmap is "active" for a while, there is a special rule,
which is really equivalent for local and global, but probably isn't
really useful for local - once you start using the value of
a digitmap to collect digits, changing the definition of the
name doesn't affect the in-use value - the termination continues to
use the prior value.

If you started to use a local digitmap, and then changed its value
before the Notification of its completion event, the termination would
continue to use the prior value, the next use would be with the new
value, just as a global digitmap would.

Does that help?

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nurit Shenhar [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 5:59 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Global digitmaps
>
>
> Hi list
>

---

From: Nurit Shenhar <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:13:32 +0200

Hi Brian

Thenks for the explanation, but I am still not sure about everything.
There are two places that refer the digitmap. One is in the EventDM, that is
used for digitmap activation, either by using an existing name (local or
global) or by supplying an immediate value. I have no problem with that.
But now the second place - the DigitMapDescriptor, is not very clear. If I
got you, this is the way to define a variable, that can be referenced later.
But then, what is the meaning of defining only a value without name?  Also,
if you define a global name without value, does that mean that you want to
create a local copy of it?

Nurit

-----Original Message-----
From: Rosen, Brian [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 24, 2000 2:07 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Global digitmaps

Does that help?

Brian

---

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:26:31 -0400

I think this description more or less accords with 7.1.14.1.  Looking at the
later exchange between you and Brian, I would make the following points:

The EventDM parameter indicates the digit map to be used for a particular
digit map completion event.
  - the EventDM parameter can give a digit map either by name or by value
  - if the reference is by name, it may be the name of a global digit map or
of one defined specifically on this termination
  - if there is a naming conflict, the most specific reference applies (your
second point).

The DigitMap descriptor can be used to specify and name a digit map or to
clear one.
  - the syntax allows three possibilities:
    -- value only
    -- name only
    -- name and value
  - I believe the "value only" form is a mistake, a historical hangover
which no longer has meaning, given that digit map values can be supplied
directly by the EventDM parameter
  - the "name only" form clears a digit descriptor.  An interesting question
arises when the name is that of a digit map defined globally and NOT defined
on the specific termination.  We have two ways to interpret this: that the
clear attempt has no effect, or that the given global definition can no
longer be used for this particular termination.  I think it is simplest to
say that global definitions can only be cleared by addressing them to the
ROOT, but others may have other opinions.  Clearing a digit map defined on a
specific termination means that subsequent references to the same digit map
name will denote the global digit map of that name, if any.
 - the "name and value" form names a digit map and provides a value for it.
If the same name is used for a global digit map, the new definition hides
the global digit map at this termination.

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:12:27 -0400

>directly by the EventDM parameter
I agree, this is a mistake -- Implementer's Guide material??

>ROOT, but others may have other opinions.
I agree with you -- although you could interpret the request as
clear a local digitmap with the same name as a global one

Brian