Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-rosen-megaco-interop-1-report-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 06:30:46 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Report of the First Megaco/H.248 Interop Event
        Author(s)       : B. Rosen
        Filename        : draft-rosen-megaco-interop-1-report-00.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 05-Oct-00

An interoperability test of the Megaco (RFC2885/6) protocol was held
on August 28-31 in Durham, NH.  An excellent turnout of many
different independently developed implementations were present, and
a great many of the tests were quite successful, including media
flow in many cases, and several cases of testing a Media Gateway
controller from one organization with two Media Gateways from
different organizations.
The primary purpose of the event was to assess the ability of
independent development teams to create interoperable devices from
the recent Proposed Standard RFCs 2885 [1] and 2886 [2].  While
several discrepancies were found that resulted from differing
interpretations of the documents, the level of compatibility
exhibited at this first test was excellent.  A secondary purpose of
the event was to begin the process of moving the RFCs to draft
standard status, which requires documentation of at least two
implementations of each protocol element/feature.  While this first
event only used a subset of the protocol, quite a few of the
elements and features were demonstrated by all implementations.

   This I-D describes the event and summarized the results.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosen-megaco-interop-1-report-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-rosen-megaco-interop-1-report-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-rosen-megaco-interop-1-report-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.