Subject: Mixing Requests and Replies

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:31:48 -0500

Section 7.2.8 contains the following text:
   .... At the same
   time, as indicated in section 9, transaction replies and pending
   indications must be sent to the address from which the corresponding
   requests originated.  This must be done even if it implies extra
   messaging because commands and responses cannot be packed together.
   The TimeStamp parameter shall be sent with a registration command
   and its response.

Notice the phrase "commands and responses cannot be packed together"
What does that mean?  You most certainly could put a request for
one transaction in the same message you put a reply for another
transaction, right?

Brian

---

From: John Segers <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2000 16:39:58 +0100

Brian,

The intention of this text is to say that
- if an MG has an outstanding transaction (still a response to send),
- it receives a ServiceChange redirecting it to another MGC (handoff),
- and it wants to initiate a transaction request,
then the response and the request cannot be packed together, but
separate messages are required: response to the old MGC, request to the
new MGC.

The confusing bit to me is that this text occurs in a paragraph on
registration and handoff isn't mentioned in that paragraph.

Cheers,

John

--
John Segers                                  email: [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies                                        Room HE 303
Dept. Forward Looking Work                      phone: +31 35 687 4724
P.O. Box 18, 1270 AA  Huizen                      fax: +31 35 687 5954