Subject: modification in ASN structure for ABNF

From: sadiq rehman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 23:29:25 MDT

Hai all,

we are working in h248 protocol implementation.

I have the following quaries.

1.We instead of using the data structure produced by the ASN1C compiler
we are using our own data structure , which is optimised from the ASN1C
compiler generated header file .for ABNF ie text encoding and decoding.

we are following the asn syntax to decode and encode from our user data
structure . can it be effected while decoding by the other MGC/GC 

2. CAN IT BE POSSIBLE TO CHANGE THE ANS SYNTAX ITSELF AND GET THE
CORRESPONDING C AND HEADER FILE FOR ENCODING AND DECODING FOR BER 

CAN WE DO THIS , IF IT IS EFFECTING WHILE DECODING, SO HOW IT WILL BE EFFECTED
FOR BER .

AS U KNOW THIS WILL BE IN THE FORMAT TLV T-TYPE, L-LENGTH, V-VALUE

PLEASE GIVE YOUR SUGGESTION ON MY QUARIES .

ADVANCED THANKS 

SADIQ REHMAN

____________________________________________________________________
Get free email and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=1

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:22:28 -0400

You may have to be more clear in explaining your question, as I'm
not sure I understand what you are trying to do.  One of the confusions
>compiler generated header file .for ABNF ie text encoding and decoding.
In general, the ABNF syntax for text encoding is not the same as the
ASN.1 syntax for binary encoding, so you could not use the output
from an ASN.1 compiler on the ASN.1 syntax in Annex A to create a
text encoder/decoder.

There are several groups who are using the output of the ASN.1 compiler
to produce a BER encoder/decoder for the binary encoding.  I would
say that we would not recommend changing the ASN.1 syntax as
documented in Annex A to create a BER encoded binary.  I do not
think it is possible to write an ASN.1 description of the text
encoding format represented by the Annex B ABNF.

Is that an answer to your question, or have I misunderstood?

Brian

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: sadiq rehman
To: [email-masked]
Sent: 10/7/00 1:29 AM
Subject: modification in ASN structure for ABNF

all,

CAN WE DO THIS , IF IT IS EFFECTING WHILE DECODING, SO HOW IT WILL BE
EFFECTED
FOR BER .

ADVANCED THANKS

SADIQ REHMAN