Subject: heart beat message in the megaco protocol

From: Susumu YAMAMOTO <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 20:00:48 +0900

Hi all,

Is there a heart beat message from MG to MGC in the megaco
protocol?

If not, how do you think about a heart beat message?

I think MG always should be able to detect a failure of MGC and
restore the service by failover method, because the case of
restart of MGC, MGC may lost which MG is now in service and
cannot send a handoff message properly.

Thanks in advance,
-*-*-*
YAMAMOTO SUSUMU
Mega-media Network Systems Project
NTT Network Service Systems Laboratories
mailto: [email-masked]
TEL:+81 422 59 2744  FAX:+81 422 37 7467

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:45:14 +1100

Hello Susumu San,

Currently there is no mechanism for this in H.248. I thought one way to
achieve this would be to send a signal on the Root Termination of the MG
that would be an on/off signal which would generate a heartbeart message
periodically. But unfortunately we can't a signal (events are OK
though)on the root termination. This may be something we want to change.

I guess you could always provision some mechanism outside of H.248 also.

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Manish Rao <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:24:47 -0700

In my current implementation, I am using audits as a means of acheiving
heart beats.  The MGC audits the gateways periodically requesting connection
ids.  This way, the MGC can also say if it is out of sequence perhaps, with
the MG (say, the MG returns a connection id, and the MGC does not have one
for that endpoint).

---

From: Susumu YAMAMOTO <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:01:11 +0900

Hi all,

Please let me correct, if I am wrong.

I think heart beat messages are sent rather from MG than from MGC, because
in the case of fault of network or MGC only MG can trigger the failover
operation
to change the MGC and restore the service.

I would find some mechanism outside of the H248 for heart beat message from MG,
it may be Ping or something.
(MGC can audit as heart beat messages as below, but there is no mechanism for
  MG to send in the H.248.)

... and any other implementation is there ?

> > > TEL:+81 422 59 2744  FAX:+81 422 37 7467

-*-*-*
SUSUMU YAMAMOTO