Subject: Continuity package

From: Somit Ghosh <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 11:35:35 -0500

Hello:

Can the basic continuity package be used to test both a TDM circuit and Network
(RTP) continuity check also ?
MGCP clearly allows co1/co2 to be applied as part  of RTP package, I am not sure
about Megaco.

Please let me know, if anyone has an answer.

Thanks
Somit Ghosh
Telcordia Technologies

Troy Cauble <[email-masked]> on 11/21/2000 10:55:11 AM

Please respond to Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Somit Ghosh/Telcordia)
Subject:  MEGACO: Impl. guide comments/corrections

Hello all,

Section 6.23 of the Implementors Guide discusses the
fact that sigParameter is hard to parse because it's
impossible to tell the sigStream sequence from the
sigOther sequence.

I find this statement confusing:
        "The problem lies in the fact that in the future
         that the introduction of a new Token for a
         signal Parameter may cause overlap with an
         existing package identity."

More to the point is the fact that the opposite problem
exists *NOW*.  Package identities (i.e. signal parameter
names) can be defined such that they conflict with nearby
tokens such as DurationToken, StreamToken, SignalTypeToken,
etc.  These tokens are used in "Token EQUALS X" sequences
that are impossible to distinguish from sigOther.

While the following change to section 12.2:
        "The textual ParameterID of parameters to Events
         and Signals shall not start with "EPA" and "SPA"
         respectively."

guards against conflicts with FUTURE tokens, it does not
guard against conflicts with CURRENT tokens.

There are many other things that these "textual ParameterIDs"
must avoid matching.  A (partial?) list for signal parameter
names is:
        StreamToken
        SignalTypeToken
        DurationToken
        NotifyCompletionToken

A (partial?) list for event parameter names is:
        ModemToken
        StreamToken
        DigitMapToken

The lists are a little longer if you want to make parsing easy.
These are required to make parsing possible.  They should be
listed in the correction to section 12.2.

-troy