Subject: Megaco & ISDN drafts

From: Bouwen Jan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:11:57 +0100

All,

I submitted three internet drafts related to the support of ISDN Access
Gateways in Megaco. You'll find the announcements below. The three
drafts are an update of the earlier draft on the same subject
(draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-01.txt). Main difference is that the old draft
contained a lot of options, while in the current proposals only one
solution for every issue is described. And there is of the course the
fact that I split the old draft into three new ones, each with a more
clearly defined scope.

A short overview:

* draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-package-00.txt
This one defines a Megaco package for ISDN terminations (some properties
and events/signals for layer 1 activation)

* draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-bcp-00.txt
Best Current Practice for ISDN access gateways. Proposes guidelines for
interaction between Megaco and Sigtran in ISDN access gateways.

* draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-data-00.txt
Proposes extensions for Megaco (to be included in Megaco v2) to support
non-Q.931 data in the D-channel (ephemeral terminations on top of the
D-channel, and ISDN DLCI addressing scheme in SDP).

Jan

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : ISDN Package for Megaco
        Author(s)       : J. Bouwen
        Filename        : draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-pack-00.txt
        Pages           : 5
        Date            : 20-Nov-00

This draft introduces a Megaco package to support voip access
gateways with ISDN terminations. The package defines
TerminationState properties for ISDN terminations, and
events/signals that are to be used for the layer 1
activation/deactivation procedure for ISDN basic interfaces.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-pack-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Best Current Practice for Megaco-Sigtran
Interaction
                          in ISDN Access Gateways
        Author(s)       : J. Bouwen
        Filename        : draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-bcp-00.txt
        Pages           : 10
        Date            : 20-Nov-00

A Media Gateway with ISDN terminations will use both Megaco [1] and
Sigtran protocols for communication with the Media Gateway
Controller. In an ISDN Access Gateway the media carrying B-channels
are controlled by the Media Gateway Controller using Megaco, while
the User-to-Network signalling running over the D-channels will be
relayed to the Media Gateway Controller using Sigtran protocols (IUA
[3] over SCTP [2]).
At the moment, in the absence of appropriate specifications, the
Megaco and Sigtran protocols may interact in different ways in the
Access Gateway, leaving room for non-interoperable solutions.
This draft proposes a set of guidelines for the Megaco-Sigtran
interworking, documenting a best current practice for ISDN Access
Gateways.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-bcp-00.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : Extensions to Megaco to support Data in an
ISDN
                          D-channel
        Author(s)       : J. Bouwen
        Filename        : draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-data-00.txt
        Pages           :
        Date            : 20-Nov-00

In ISDN interfaces the D-channel is used to transport the Q.931
signalling messages. In addition, the D-channel can transport packet
data for user-to-user communication. The Megaco protocol
specification has to be extended to support data in an ISDN D-
channel. More specifically, ephemeral terminations on top of
physical ISDN terminations have to be allowed, and support for the
ISDN addressing scheme has to be added to refer to the data streams
in the D-channel. This draft defines the required additional
functionality, that could be part of the second version of the
Megaco protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-bouwen-megaco-isdn-data-00.txt