Subject: ANSI 102- 108-, etc-type tests with H.248

From: Ilya Akramovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 20:24:57 -0800

Hi All,

I remember that there was a discussion a while ago between (mostly)
Brian and Tom about how to support ANSI test lines with H.248. To
refresh everybody's memory, I'm talking about 102- (milliwatt), 108-
(digital noninverting loopback) and, most importantly, 105-type
(automatic transmission measuring system) tests.

If my memory serves me, the options that were discussed were:
        1. To add more states to the Termination State descriptor.
        2. To create the new Termination Class "Test" that could be
programmed for various tests. Then a test can be initiated by placing
a DS0 termination into the "Test" state and adding it to a context
with this special "Test" termination.
        3. To create a separate "Test" package(s) with their own signals and
events, which can then be applied to the termination under test.

While #2 appeared to be the most intuitive and the closest to the way
it is usually implemented, it looked like several people inclined
towards #3.  Then, as far as I remember, the subject was dropped "for
further study" due to the lack of interest and lack of time at that
time.

I'd like to get back to that subject and see if there has been any
progress and/or resolution on that. Is anybody still interested in
support for those kinds of tests?

Sincerely,
--
Ilya Akramovich                    Tel: +1 (510) 747-2926
Sr. Software Engineer              mailto:[email-masked]
Lucent InterNetworking Systems     http://www.lucent.com/ins