Subject: Last Call On NAS Package (Revisited for November)

From: Alan Whitton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2000 11:08:06 -0500

Folks,

OK, so after looking things over the AUTHRES (or AUTHEX) event looks like
it needs a little more information returned in it other than success or
failure.

Once a  "call" is UP, the Modems have trained and now the End User's PC is
connected to the ISP's Radius Server more than simply "authorization
failure" can occur. Port limiting can occur (not enough virtual modems
available to that customer's domain), or there can be a RADIUS server
failure (and thus the user cannot log in).

What I'd like to propose is either adding a reason code for the AUTHRES (or
AUTHEX), or expand the reason codes for AUTHRES (or AUTHEX). The following
reasons, come to mind:
  1 other, unspecified
  2 CLID was unacceptable (rejected by CLID filter)
  3 CLID was blocked (rejected because blocked CLIDs not allowed)
  4 dialed number is not acceptable
  5 port limit or overflow port limit reached
  6  no IP address available
  7 all home gateways at capacity or admin state locked
  8 port guarantee prevented call from being taken proxied to
  9     RADIUS server rejected the request

Cheers,
Alan Whitton

Holistic Metaservices Architect
CVX SS7 Gateway
Nortel Networks,

---

From: Ilya Akramovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 15:25:31 -0800

Alan,

That is a nice list and I can come up with a dozen more reasons why a
session-level authorization may fail.

However, do we really want to dump all of this information to the MGC?
Does the latter really need to know specifically what kind of
authorization failed at the user level?  I don't think so. Besides,
information like this is already communicated in, for example, Radius
accounting and/or other logging facilities.

So I vote for keeping AUTHRES (or, better, AUTHEX) simple.

--
Ilya Akramovich                    Tel: (510) 747-2926
Sr. Software Engineer              mailto:[email-masked]
Lucent InterNetworking Systems     http://www.lucent.com/ins