Subject: Annex C questions

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:40:27 -0500

Why is there an entire Annex of properties that can
only be encoded in binary form?

Or can all of the properties in Annex C be encoded
in SDP?  (Doesn't seem likely.)  If so, how?

Isn't it a fundamental goal of the protocol to support
all messages in a text or ASN.1 encoding?

-troy

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:59:00 +1100

G'Day Troy,

Historical. The properties were added to give the binary encoding a base
of values to use as the SDP had values. Not all properties in Annex C
can be encoded in SDP, although work is ongoing in SDP to align. The
fundamental goal was to have the ASN1 and ABNF align. Ideally it would
be nice to have SDP and Annex C completely equivalent but I don't see
that as realistic. I personally would have liked to see everything that
was required in H248 be added in packages, that way the text and binary
would be consistent.

Cheers, Christian