Subject: Clarification Megaco Mib draft 01

From: Vivek Bansal <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 19:39:59 +0530

Hi

Clarification is required for the mib draft 01.

medGwyGatewayIPAddress OBJECT-TYPE
    DESCRIPTION "The IP address that the Media Gateway Controller
                 will use to communicate with the Media Gateway.
                 The value 0.0.0.0 is returned if the entry is invalid."
::= { medGwyGatewayConfigEntry 4 }

Is it the IP Address of MGC, that it uses to communicate  with MG or is this the
 IP address of MG.

Regards
Vivek Bansal
Hughes Software System

---

From: Ilya Akramovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 20:03:46 -0800

Vivek,

I believe the original intent for this field was to contain the
address of an MGC. The current wording is confusing and, I'm afraid,
wrong.

This leads me to the following thought, though. Would you rather have
separate objects in the MIB for configuring associations from the MG
and MGC points of view?

Or would you prefer both MG and MGC representing the information
through the same table/object? I mean, would you want the field to
contain MGC's IP address if the SNMP agent is running on the MG and
MG'c IP address if the agent is running on the MGC?

I'm actually against this kind of dual-usage of an object and I would
like to change this part of the MIB for the next MIB draft update.
Other opinions?

Ilya

--
Ilya Akramovich                    Tel: (510) 747-2926
Sr. Software Engineer              mailto:[email-masked]
Lucent InterNetworking Systems     http://www.lucent.com/ins