From: "Kaul, Bharat" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 16:26:57 -0800

Consider following situation.

Command      ------Transmit------>

Switch to a <-------Provisional Response------
longer timer

Update RTO <-----------Ack--------------

i.e. the RTO is updated when final response is received. Now if this is
happening pretty often in the network between two entities, I would think
that RTO would be higher than it actually should be. And especially since
the algorithm is fast back-off, this is not desirable and will present a
misleading network picture.

I think we should have following incorporated in standards (implementor
guide) in the section on computation of retransmission timers.

The RTO for a remote entity is updated if :

a) Upon receipt of the first provisional response. In this case, no rto
update should be done when final response is received.
b) Receipt of final response when no provisional response has been
previously received.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------
Bharat Kaul;                             mailto:[email-masked]

Trillium Digital Systems Inc.   (An Intel Company)
12100 Wilshire Blvd, Los Angeles, CA - 90025.
Phone: +1-310-481-5515
Fax:     +1-310-442-1162
http://www.trillium.com