Subject: Is ACK Required?

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:48:07 -0500

Well, we really have confusion about ACK.

Here is the basic question - if you are using an unreliable transport, like
UDP,
MUST you send ACK?  The text does not say so.

Seems to me that:
	1. The requestor does not know if the responder insists on receiving
ACK.
		therefore unless you send ACK, the responder will repeat the
Reply
		a lot, and then declare the requestor dead.
	2. How could you NOT use the 3 way handshake?  What if the Reply
		is indeed lost?  How would you know?

So, I think we need to change the text in Annex D to specify that with UDP
you
SHALL use ACK for every transaction.

Now, we COULD declare that the ImmAckRequired is the way the responder
tells the requestor that it wants an ACK.  Then UDP would say you
always set that flag.

Brian