Subject: Service change reason Cold boot

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 06:33:04 +0530

Hi All, Christian

The Section 3.3 of AnnexL defines Service change reason Cold boot as

3.3 Reason # : 901 Name: Cold Boot
Definition: This indicates that the entity indicated with the
TerminationID is in serviceState "In-Service", and that it has gone
through a start or recovery action and all associated contexts except
the null context have been cleared.

The reason indicates that MG was previously connected to MGC and MG had gone
down due to some
reason. Now when it has come up, although it has cleared all the contexts but
the state of NULL context
was that has been retained.

Now the word "start" is unclear. Does this mean MG will use the same reason even
when it comes up for the
first time.

Regards
Vivek Bansal

---

From: Paul Rheaume <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:08:26 -0500

Vivek,

Why do you beleive that "Reason=Cold Boot" means that the MG was
previously connected to MGC?

My understanding is that "Cold Boot" means that the device, MG in this
case, was powered-off then powered-on.

So from the dumb MG's point of view, after a "Cold Boot" the MG has no
knowledge of having been previously connected to an MGC. So any "Cold
Boot" means "coming up for the first time" to the MG. Otherwise the MG
would need the smarts to know the difference.

Conclusion, MG always uses the same "Reason=Cold Boot" whether it is
powered-on for the first time or otherwise.

Regards,
Paul