Subject: ATM Forum Liaison on Megaco Packages

From: Tom-PT Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 12:10:58 -0500

I have received the following note and an attachment from Rick Townsend on
behalf of the Voice and Multimedia Over ATM WG.  I have placed the original
(PDF) note and attachment on the Megaco FTP site in directory
ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/megaco/docs/Current/ATMF/

They appear as a single zipped file 5a-ietf-les-ngna.ZIP.

The contents of the covering letter are as follows:

February 5, 2001
Subject: LES and Next Generation Network Access (NGNA) Specifications
Tom Taylor, Chair Media Gateway Control
E-mail: [email-masked]

Dear Tom,

This liaison is to inform you that the ATM Forum Voice and Multimedia over
ATM
Working Group is currently engaged in developing an addendum to our
specification
"Loop Emulation Service Using AAL2" (af-vmoa-0145.000) to specify the usage
of H.248
in support of loop emulation. This addendum, currently in the form of a
baseline text,
contains specifications for a number of H.248 packages that have relevance
to analog
supervisory signaling. Annex A of the addendum defines a generic analog line
package
that is intended to provide a foundation for a wide range of line
type-specific analog
supervisory packages, and is intended to meet the needs of both North
American and
European line types. Annex A also defines line type-specific packages for
various
common line types, and additional packages for specific functions such as
dial pulse
digit detection and automatic metering.

The general approach to the design of these H.248 packages recognizes the
broad
range of analog supervisory signaling functions supported by both North
American
channel-associated supervisory signaling and the V5 PSTN protocol. However,
the
packages defined in the addendum provide a simpler method for supporting
national
variations than V5 PSTN. Where V5 PSTN requires the configuration of a
number of
tables to map parameter values in Information Elements to control values
that apply to
signaling actions, the H.248 packages defined in the baseline support
explicit values for
control of signaling actions. For example, V5 PSTN controls ringing cadence
by
specifying a parameter value "Cadenced-ringing type" which provides an index
into a
table that defines the ringing cadence patterns; by contrast, the H.248
packages defined
in the addendum explicitly define the timing intervals that comprise the
cadence pattern.
Other examples include rate types and metering pulse types.

The ATM Forum VMOA WG believes that the H.248 packages defined in this
baseline
text are potentially applicable to the general case of H.248 usage for
analog supervisory
signaling and seeks common ground on the definition of appropriate H.248
packages in
this space. We invite your comments.

Attached is the Baseline Text for the Addendum to the LES Specification
(btd-vmoa-les-megaco-01.00) which includes the H.248 packages as well as the
updated NGNA
Baseline Text document. The ATM Forum looks forward to our continued dialog
and
cooperation.

A version of this liaison is also being sent to ITU-T SG 11, ITU-T SG16,
T1S1, ETSI
SPAN, DSL Forum, MSF, and ISC.

If you have comments in return or should you desire additional information
from us,
please feel free to contact me as shown below.

Regards,
Rick Townsend
Chair of the Technical Committee, ATM Forum
Tel: +1 732 949 8667
Fax: +1 732 949 1196
Email: [email-masked]

-----------

Tom Taylor
Multimedia Control and Applications Standards
Ph.  +1 613 736 0961
Cell +1 613 290 0844
[email-masked]