Subject: RE: Service change reason Cold boot

From: Hong Staley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:51:06 -0800

Paul,

I couldn't agree with you more on the usage of the reason = Cold boot,
except the last sentence where I would think other reasons like "warm boot"
and "service Restored" could be appropriate in case of the MG failover.

Regards,
Hong

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Rheaume [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 11:08 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Service change reason Cold boot

Vivek,

Why do you beleive that "Reason=Cold Boot" means that the MG was
previously connected to MGC?

My understanding is that "Cold Boot" means that the device, MG in this
case, was powered-off then powered-on.

So from the dumb MG's point of view, after a "Cold Boot" the MG has no
knowledge of having been previously connected to an MGC. So any "Cold
Boot" means "coming up for the first time" to the MG. Otherwise the MG
would need the smarts to know the difference.

Conclusion, MG always uses the same "Reason=Cold Boot" whether it is
powered-on for the first time or otherwise.

Regards,
Paul

[email-masked] wrote:
> 
> Hi All, Christian
> 
> The Section 3.3 of AnnexL defines Service change reason Cold boot as
> 
> 3.3 Reason # : 901 Name: Cold Boot
> Definition: This indicates that the entity indicated with the
> TerminationID is in serviceState "In-Service", and that it has gone
> through a start or recovery action and all associated contexts except
> the null context have been cleared.
> 
> The reason indicates that MG was previously connected to MGC and MG had
gone
> down due to some
> reason. Now when it has come up, although it has cleared all the contexts
but
> the state of NULL context
> was that has been retained.
> 
> Now the word "start" is unclear. Does this mean MG will use the same
reason even
> when it comes up for the
> first time.
> Regards
> Vivek Bansal