Subject: how to do wiretaping , what streams and topology is needed

From: Shlomo Kabaz ECItelecom <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 14:44:57 +0200

Hi  list  !

I  read the relevant  history mail regarding streams, topology and
wiretaping and could not find
the complete answer to my problem which is :

I  have  tow terminations in a context , T1  and T2  , and i constructed a
full regular call on them , T1 is physical
and T2 is ephemeral .   In  both terminations there is one stream which has
the default streamId = 1 , and both
stream in both terminations are set to send/receive mode .

I want  to do wiretaping to that call , I understand that i have to do the
following :

1. add a new ephemeral termination to the context that will send the
wiretaped stream out of the gateway.
2. send a topology descriptor that will tell : T1,T3, oneway .
T2,T3,oneway .
3. do not add new streams to T1 and T2 .

Is that correct and  can you add this scenario to the "call flows" that is
being talk about .

Another issue that  trabbled me a bout the wiretaping is this:
Actually , when the  tow people  are talking in the call that i mentioned ,
termination T1  with T2 , the flows of data ,
is going in bothways , meaning send and receive , to the people talking ,
and if for instance the man from one side
talk at the same time with the man from the other side than , each of them
receives rx flow  tx flow at the same time ,
and the "conferecing"  funtionality is doen in the people minds .
So my question is : Is wiretaping to this call , even with tow terminations
, needs confferecing functionality ??

best regards !

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2001 09:45:29 -0500

I maintained during the wiretapping debate that you didn't need topology
to do it.  In fact, if there is modem traffic or if the MG can't (as you
postulate in your final question) mix the two directions of traffic, you
really need to add TWO wiretapping terminations to the context and use
topology to direct the flow from each participant separately to its own
wiretap.  In some cases the legal authorities are entitled to hear only
one side of the conversation, in which case there would just be one
wiretap termination.

I have to apologize to Christian for not pushing to make topology a
compulsory part of the spec.  I think people will find it is compulsory
in the real world.