Subject: RE: Do the Events and Eventbuffer Descriptors share package param eters?

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:00:10 -0400

What goes in the EventBuffer would be the same as what is in
ObservedEvents, including the same parameters.

Brian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dan Linton [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 11:48 AM
> To: megaco
> Subject: Do the Events and Eventbuffer Descriptors share package
> parameters?
> 
> 
> Hi,
> 
> Most of the currently defined packages I've looked at do not
> explicitly define any package parameters for the Eventbuffer
> descriptor. Take analog lines for example, it clearly defines
> package parameters for the Events and ObservedEvents
> descriptors and not for the EventBuffer descriptor. Is the
> correct interpretation that the EventBuffer does not have any
> package parameters associated with the analog lines package?
> Or is it implied elsewhere that it has the same package
> parameters that the Events descriptor has?
> 
> Thanks,
> Dan
>

---

From: Dan Linton <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:19:30 -0400

Brian,

I agree with your statement. It explains how to buffer events.
However, I'm interested in what can be sent in the EventBuffer
descriptor from the MGC to the MG. I've been thinking
that the list of events won't contain package parameters because
none are currently defined in the package definitions for the
EventBuffer descriptor. Not to say that some future package
won't define some EventBuffer parameters.

Thanks.

---

From: Serhad Doken <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 12:43:37 -0700

Hi Brian,

How about the case if EventBuffer Descriptor is sent within an
Add/Move/Modify Request ? Will it be able to specify Events Descriptor
package parms or just ObservedEvents Descriptor package parms ?

Thanks,
Serhad Doken

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 22:45:35 -0400

According to the ABNF:

eventsDescriptor      = EventsToken EQUAL RequestID LBRKT requestedEvent
*(COMMA requestedEvent) RBRKT
requestedEvent        = pkgdName [LBRKT eventParameter *(COMMA
eventParameter) RBRKT]
; at-most-once each of KeepActiveToken , eventDM and eventStream
; at most one of either embedWithSig or embedNoSig but not both
; KeepActiveToken and embedWithSig must not both be present
eventParameter        = (embedWithSig / embedNoSig / KeepActiveToken /
eventDM / eventStream / eventOther )
eventOther            = eventParameterName parmValue

eventBufferDescriptor = EventBufferToken LBRKT eventSpec *(COMMA
eventSpec) RBRKT
eventSpec             = pkgdName [LBRKT eventSpecParameter *(COMMA
eventSpecParameter) RBRKT]
eventSpecParameter    = (eventStream / eventOther)

This means that events in the EventBuffer descriptor takes all Events
parameters that are defined for the event.  However, given this
definition, this means that you may not embed upon, specify KeepActive
for, nor specify a DigitMap to use with an event in the EventBuffer
descriptor.

I can see why embedding and DigitMaps are not permitted (the MGC is
buffering to allow explicit event-by-event control of behavior, without
altering event detection in the process), however KeepActive might be
useful to avoid "hiccupping" signals that are active on the termination
that the MGC would respecify on the termination.  Since the MGC is
performing explicit control on each event, the MGC could just as easily
clear the Signals descriptor as respecify it.  The change would be very
easy:

eventSpecParameter    = (KeepActiveToken / eventStream / eventOther)

Any comments?

Kevin

---

From: Dan Linton <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:08:34 -0400

Kevin,

See comments inline.

Thanks,
Dan

> parameters that are defined for the event.  However, given this

Note that the ObservedEvents descriptor also uses eventOther in the ABNF.
However, the package parameters for it are different than for the Events
descriptor. The package definitions clearly define the parameters to be used

with each descriptor. I haven't seen any package definitions that mention
the
EventBuffer descriptor.

If the Events and EventBuffer share package parameters, I think there needs
to be a statement to that effect in the Implementor's Guide.

> for, nor specify a DigitMap to use with an event in the EventBuffer

So at the descriptor level, there are differences in the parameters allowed
for the Events and EventBuffer descriptors. This allows different behavior.
Wouldn't the same potentially apply to package parameters for the two
descriptors?

> eventSpecParameter    = (KeepActiveToken / eventStream / eventOther)

Seems appropriate.

---

From: "Kevin Boyle" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 13:07:16 -0400

Comments inline [KJBII].

Kevin

> Wouldn't the same potentially apply to package parameters for the two

[KJBII] My assumption was that since the Events and EventBuffer descriptors are
attempting to acheive the same ends (indicate what to scan for) that they would
take the same parameters.  This may or may not be a valid assumption based on
implementation, however, I do not see any benefit to being able to specify
something in EB that you wouldn't in E.  The ObservedEvents descriptor is very
clearly different, as the goal of OE is to report what was seen, and this
inherently may require different information to be passed back to the MGC.

This being said, I don't have any problem with a clarifying statement in the IG.