Subject: MID syntax in Implementors' Guide v5

From: "Tulpule, Naren" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2001 12:06:24 -0700

Hi Christian, list,
  in section 1.29 The ABNF given is:
B.2 ABNF syntax specification
...
mId                  = ([( domainAddress / domainName )] 
        [":" portNumber]) / mtpAddress / deviceName...
serviceChangeAddress = ServiceChangeAddressToken EQUAL mIdVALUE

It should either be

B.2 ABNF syntax specification

; portNumber NOT allowed in MID
mId                  = (( domainAddress / domainName ) 
        [":" portNumber]) / mtpAddress / deviceName...
serviceChangeAddress = ServiceChangeAddressToken EQUAL (mId / portNumber)

OR

B.2 ABNF syntax specification
...
; portNumber allowed in MID
mId                  = (( domainAddress / domainName )
        [":" portNumber]) / mtpAddress / deviceName / portNumber
serviceChangeAddress = ServiceChangeAddressToken EQUAL mId

We can decide on either one. As it is currently given, a portNumber alone in
MID or ServiceChangeAddress would look like ":12345".
(Besides, the current syntax would allow an empty MID).

These views are mine alone, not those of Intel, Trillium or Mr Barrett.
-- Naren
Narendra C. Tulpule         310-442-9222
SMTS, Trillium (an Intel company)
12100 Wislshire Bl #1800 Los Angeles CA 90025

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2001 11:35:40 +1000

G'Day Naren,

I'm glad someone commented on this one. Having the mID referenced by
servicechange was a quick way of adding the MTP3 address. I don't have a
preference for either of your proposals. Any text gurus have a
preference?

Cheers, Christian

---

From: Troy Cauble <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:49:27 -0400

Christian,

I prefer Narenda's first option because it puts the critical detail
in the ABNF syntax, instead of in a comment.

Also, I'd remove the "; portNumber NOT allowed in MID" comment
because it's confusing (They are allowed, just not by themselves.)
and unnecessary  (The syntax provides the needed restriction.).

-troy