Subject: RE: question on signal/event parameters

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:13:37 -0400

Hi Marcello,

I agree that there is nothing mentioned in the protocol/IG regarding this.
In your example, the MGC is not providing all the necessary information for
application of signals according to the signal descriptor. This actually
should lead to a error response from the MG.(See my mail today with subject
"Error code for missing Event/Signal Parameter"). There should be an error
code for "insufficient signal information".

The same situation arises when MG generates a Notify say for digit
completion event dd/ce, without any dial string.(or any event which needs a
mandatory parameter).  I think similar error code should be used by the MGC
to send error response for the Notify. A error code "insufficient
signal/event information" may help in both cases.  Opinions on this?????

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: Marcello Pantaleo (EED) [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 9:46 AM
To: 'Madhu Babu Brahmanapally'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: question on signal/event parameters

Hi Madhu,

I agree with you that if an MG implements a package, it has to
support all the event/signal additional parameters. This is clearly
stated in the IG.
The problem is that I couldn't find in H.248 something that states that
it's mandatory for a MGC to send all the parameters for a signal/event
as specified in the package (or the other way round).
So apparently a MGC can send the "Play tone" signal with a "Signal id list"
and no "Inter signal duration".
Is this the desired behaviour?

Regards,
Marcello

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 3:28 PM
To: 'Marcello Pantaleo (EED)'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: question on signal/event parameters

Hi Marcello,
IMO the MG if supports a given signal/event should also support all the
possible parameters. All the observed event parameters needs to be used by
the MG while notifying any event. The MGC may not specify (as in your
example) all parameters pertained to a given signal.  For instance, the MGC
may say Play Tone with just one Tone, in which case the intersignal duration
is not significant and hence not specified. The IG say that  support should
be there for all signal and event parameters. Yes, its not mentioned whether
all the parameters are mandatory or whether some can be missed.

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Marcello
Pantaleo (EED)
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 6:14 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: question on signal/event parameters

Hi,

suppose a package defines a signal that has three signal parameters.
Is it possible for the MGC to send a SignalDescriptor with this signal
with, for instance, only two parameters? Or is it mandatory
for the MGC to specify a value for all the signal parameters defined for
that
particular signal?
Just to make an example, can a MGC send signal "Play tone" as specified in
package "tongen" (H.248/E.3) assigning a "Tone id list" but not "Inter
signal duration"

I couldn't find a clear statement on this in the specification.

In the approved IG Section 6.32 it is only stated that:
"To support a particular package the MG must support all Properties,
Signals, Events
and Statistics defined in a package. It must also support all Signal and
Event parameters.
 The MG may support a subset of the values listed in a package for a
particular Property or Parameter."

Any opinions on that?

Regards,
Marcello

---

From: "Marcello Pantaleo (EED)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 15:46:19 +0200

Hi Madhu,

Regards,
Marcello

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2001 3:28 PM
To: 'Marcello Pantaleo (EED)'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: question on signal/event parameters

Hi Marcello,

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----

Hi,

Any opinions on that?

Regards,
Marcello