Subject: What is allowed in a message?

From: "Paul Long" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 18:46:41 -0500

Okay, I first though that a message can contain one or more transaction
requests, replies, pendings, and response acks, based on these passages:

8: "Ordering of Transactions is NOT guaranteed – transactions may be
executed in any order, or simultaneously."
8.3: "Multiple Transactions can be concatenated into a Message."
B.2: "transactionList = 1*(transactionRequest / transactionReply /
transactionPending / transactionResponseAck )"

(BTW, the latter passage contradicts the corresponding ASN.1, which is not
constrained. One way to resolve the conflict would have been to use
"SEQUENCE SIZE (1..) OF" in the ASN.1. Whatever...)

Then I come across these two passages:

7.2.8: "...commands and responses cannot be packed together."
8.2.1: "There is one Transaction per request invocation."

First, does the passage from 7.2.8 mean that transaction requests, which
contain commands, cannot be present in the same message as replies, although
the syntax indicates that they otherwise may? Second, regarding the passage
from 8.2.1, what is a "request invokation?" Is it a message? Is it simply a
transaction request? There is similar wording for a reply: "There is one
reply invokation per transaction." What's an "invokation?"

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.