Subject: Canceling Event Detection

From: Terry L Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 15:41:11 -0500

When a new EventsDescriptor or SignalsDescriptor are received they
replace any existing EventsDescriptor or SignalsDescriptor for the
specified termination(s).  An empty SignalsDescriptor can be sent to
turn off all signals, but an empty EventsDescriptor is not allowed by
the ABNF syntax for text encoding.  I believe that it IS permitted by
the ASN.1 for binary encoding (SEQUENCE permits zero instances unless
otherwise stated).  So there appears no way with text-encoding to cancel
all event detection once activated - one can only replace the event with
a new event.  Isn't it important to be able to canel event detection?

Am I missing something or is this an error.  I see no corrections for
this in the implementor's guide.

--
------------------------------------------------------------
Terry L Anderson              mailto:[email-masked]
Tel:908.582.7013   Fax:908.582.6729
Pager:800.759.8352 pin 1704572   [email-masked]
Lucent Technologies/ Voice Over IP Access Networks/ Applications Grp
Rm 2B-121, 600 Mountain Av, Murray Hill, NJ 07974
http://its.lucent.com/~tla (Lucent internal) http://www.gti.net/tla

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 17:35:28 -0400

Hi all,
I think the empty events descriptor in ASN.1 binary is only because of its
definition. I think this is not the intent as the empty event descriptor
topic was not discussed (I don't remember any such discussion) on the list.

Regards
Madhubabu Brahmanapally

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Terry L Anderson
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2001 4:41 PM
To: Megaco Mailing List
Subject: Canceling Event Detection

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2001 15:15:10 +1000

G'Day,

Yes it does seem that this is desirable functionality whether its
discussed on the list or not is beside the point. There are rules in
H.248 for replacement and a completely empty descriptor is not precluded
Certainly if you set an event then you also want to be able to turn it
off. 

Terry, Do you have a suggested change?

Christian