Subject: draft-taylor-mmusic-sdptdm-00.txt

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:59:01 -0400

I'm afraid I've been having E-mail problems again -- haven't received a
message from Megaco since April 12.  For some reason I still get lots of
bounces )-: -- maybe just a subset and I should be grateful.  Anyway, I
download the archives every once in a while, but it's a little tough to
provide real-time responses until I set up alternative arrangements.

I have submitted draft-taylor-mmusic-sdptdm-00.txt, which gives the SDP
needed to control TDM bearers.  This is a necessary complement to the NAS
package, which I will be recycling shortly.  The new draft will be announced
on the IETF site Monday, and in the meantime is available at
ftp://standards.nortelnetworks.com/megaco/docs/Current/IETF/

Tom Taylor
Multimedia Control and Applications Standards
Ph.  +1 613 736 0961
[email-masked]

---

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:14:27 -0500

Tom

Thanks for finally getting this out.
I hope this finally put to rest the issue of whether LocalControl (thus
TDM package is needed)
or Local Descriptor (thus TDM SDP) is used to describe TDM termination.

I have some questions below:

From sdptdm draft

      1. Set media = "application" if Transmission Mode is not
         "circuit", or if Information Transfer Capability is
         "unrestricted digital information" or "restricted digital
         information".

<cnn>  Is this like "unrestricted 64k data" call?
               How does one distingush between RFC2327 media, "application" vs
"data"?
               Should a "unrestricted 64k data" call be considered having a
media = "application"
               or "data"?

      2. If Transmission Mode is "circuit" and Information Transfer
         Capability is "Speech" or "3.1 kHz audio", set media =
         "audio".

      3. If Transmission Mode is "circuit" and Information Transfer
         Capability is "Unrestricted digital information with tones and
         announcements", set media = "audio" while the call is being
         set up, then set it to "application".

<cnn>  I don't quite follow this.
               Does MGC send an ADD to originating MG w/media = "audio" and
then
               a MODIFY w/media = "application" to originating MG after
terminating MG is established?
               Or do you mean originally the call was audio and switch to
application if ITC needs
               to be changed due to tone or announcemets?

      4. If Transmission Mode is "circuit" and Information Transfer
         Capability is "Video", set media = "application".
         "Application" is more appropriate than "video" as a MIME type
         because the bit stream carries more than just video and an
         application tool is required to interpret it.

Thanks
Chuong

--
  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]
  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613
  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****