Subject: Re: Implementors' Guide Update Editor's last Call - MGC failure

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:38:18 -0500

The intend was not to use ROOT but a fully specified terminationID
or even better a

known invalid terminationID (A bogus terminationID that the sender
knows is not valid and is

used specifically for heartbeat purpose).  The idea is to get
some kind of responses.

"poll" do you mean heartbeat like msg to from MG to MGC or something
else here.

Where did you see that Restart w/ROOT is used as a heartbeat/poll?

Chuong

Dan Elbert wrote:

Hi

After
reviewing the issue of MGC failure ( when the MG is connected trough UDP
) I believe that there is no satisfactory way for the MG to poll the MGC
to see if the MGC is still alive. Using a ServiceChange with "Restart"
method and termination id of "root" may cause the MGC to assume that the
MG restarted and can affect the state of a call in progress.

I
think that it would be good to add a ServiceChange method "noop" :

Noop
: Can be used by the MG (with unreliable protocols) to obtain a response
from the MGC or detect a communication failure. When receiving this SVC
the MGC should take no action other that reply.

If
this is not acceptable, then I think that some clarification is needed
as when a SVC with restart method should be considered "noop" by the MGC.

Dan
Elbert

RADVISION

--
Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]
1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613
**** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****

---

From: Dan Elbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:21:03 -0500

Hi
 
After reviewing the issue of MGC failure ( when the MG is connected trough
UDP ) I believe that there is no satisfactory way for the MG to poll the MGC
to see if the MGC is still alive. Using a ServiceChange with "Restart"
method and termination id of "root" may cause the MGC to assume that the MG
restarted and can affect the state of a call in progress.
I think that it would be good to add a ServiceChange method "noop" :
 
Noop : Can be used by the MG (with unreliable protocols) to obtain a
response from the MGC or detect a communication failure. When receiving this
SVC the MGC should take no action other that reply.
 
If this is not acceptable, then I think that some clarification is needed as
when a SVC with restart method should be considered "noop" by the MGC.
 
Dan Elbert
RADVISION