Subject: RE: Polls of MGC

From: Dan Elbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 12:28:16 -0500

I thought that by source transport address it was meant the IP address and
port where the message actually came from. Am I wrong ? Is this the address
in the message header ?

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Long [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 12:43 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Polls of MGC

Dan,

The latter part of that passage concerns me because we just discussed the
fact that the mID is never _used_ as an actual IP address. It is merely a
lexeme that uniquely identifies the sending entity and has no other semantic
value. This passage would change that. I recommend nuking it.

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Dan Elbert
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 11:22 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: Polls of MGC

Well, in the implementers guide is specified  ( in 7.2.8 ) :

For UDP as a transport, the MG may specify the transport
ServiceChangeAddress to be used by the MGC for sending messages in the
ServiceChangeAddress parameter in the input ServiceChangeDescriptor.. If the
transport ServiceChangeAddress parameter is not present, then the MGC shall
use the source transport address (mId) used by the MG for sending commands
in subsequent communication with the MG.

Using a configured port may limit flexibility, but maybe is a better
solution.

---

From: "Paul Long" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:06:51 -0500

Dan,

The unanimous opinion on the recent "From whence they came?" thread was that
the mID is just a logical identifier and that even when in the IP-address
form it is not necessarilly the IP address from which the message was sent
or--more importantly--to which a reply should be sent. Look through the
spec, and you'll see that, other than the proposed passage to which I
referred in the IG, the mID is never used as an address but only as an
identifier. There are very good reasons why we should never signal addresses
within the Megaco protocol itself.

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Dan Elbert
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 12:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Polls of MGC

Dan