Subject: Use of ServiceChange from MGC to MG

From: Dan Elbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:06:29 -0500

Hi 

The Media Gateway Controller may indicate that Termination(s) shall be taken
out of or returned to service.
1. What is the meaning of the MGC taking down a termination ? Does it means
that the termination is substracted from any active context and all signal
are stopped and no events are detected ?
2. What methods are used for taking the MG down and up ? I'd say Graceful
and Restart. Is this OK ?
3. Is this applicable also to the root termination ? I would say no because
if the root termination "goes down" then logically the MG may not be able to
receive any more MGC commands.

Thanks,

Dan Elbert
RADVISION

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:35:16 -0400

HI Dan,
Comments below [Madhu]

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Dan Elbert
Sent: Friday, May 18, 2001 11:06 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Use of ServiceChange from MGC to MG

Hi

1. What is the meaning of the MGC taking down a termination ? Does it means
that the termination is substracted from any active context and all signal
are stopped and no events are detected ?
[Madhu] IMO its similar to the situation where MG generates such
servicechange.
The signals to be stopped and no event detection.
Will be useful in
1) Residential Gateway - Where the user profile is not encouraging and the
MGC doesn't
want to entertain any messages generated from the MG for that endpoint.
2) Trunking gateway - Remove some of the trunks from the initial provisioned
trunks.

2. What methods are used for taking the MG down and up ? I'd say Graceful
and Restart. Is this OK ?
[Madhu] I think Graceful is a mean by which MG can say to MGC that this
particular termination
shouldn't be used for further calls. Graceful has no meaning when MGC
generates this. I think the
methods should be "forced" and "restart".

3. Is this applicable also to the root termination ? I would say no because
if the root termination "goes down" then logically the MG may not be able to
receive any more MGC commands.
[Madhu] Yes. Your argument is correct.

Thanks,

Dan Elbert
RADVISION