Subject: Timer Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:28:03 +0530

Hi

Section D.1.4 indicates

Upon receipt of a final response following receipt of
   provisional responses, an immediate confirmation shall be sent, and
   normal repetition timers shall be used thereafter.

In the last it says normal repetition timers shall be used therafter. The
purpose of this timer is not clear.

Please clarify.

Regards
Vivek

---

From: "Paul Long" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 11:54:19 -0500

Vivek,

This refers to the retransmission timer. When you receive a provisional
response, or Pending, you are required to use a "different," presumably
longer retransmission timer for that transaction (D.1.4: "Entities that
receive a Transaction Pending shall switch to a different repetition timer
for repeating requests."). When you receive the final response, you are
required to switch back to using the original ... oh, wait, I understand
what you're saying now. The final response terminates any future
retransmissions for that transaction, so there is nothing to switch back to.
Therefore, I think the latter part of the sentence that you cite (", and
normal repetition timers shall be used thereafter.") doesn't make sense and
should be removed.

Paul Long
ipDialog, Inc.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Saturday, May 26, 2001 12:58 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Timer Problem

Hi

Section D.1.4 indicates

Please clarify.

Regards
Vivek