Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

From: "Petros N. Mouchtaris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:25:31 -0400

Brian,

Actually there was a long discussion on this topic last year on the mailing
list i.e. whether MGC should be able to signal an MG which TOS bit to use.
The whole topic ended up being dropped. Check the archive for e-mails with
title "MG and DiffServ".

By the way, Flemming had volunteered to do some work but I assume it didn't
have high enough priority.

Excerpt from e-mail:

"Tom-PT Taylor wrote:

                    > You are correct that packages should be drawn up (and/or SDP defined) to
                    > allow QOS parameter setting.  Volunteers?

                    Sure - I can put a package proposal together.

                    -- Flemming

Petros

"Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]> on 05/08/2001 03:29:44 PM

To:   "'Tom-PT Taylor'" <[email-masked]>, "'Madhu Babu
      Brahmanapally'" <[email-masked]>, "Rosen, Brian"
      <[email-masked]>, "'Chuong Nguyen'"
      <[email-masked]>, megaco <[email-masked]>
cc:    (bcc: Petros N. Mouchtaris/Telcordia)
Subject:  RE: IP Type of Service

I'll look into this.  I agree.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:07 AM
To: 'Madhu Babu Brahmanapally'; 'Rosen, Brian'; 'Chuong Nguyen'; megaco
Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

That makes sense.

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 10:08 AM
To: 'Rosen, Brian'; Taylor, Tom-PT [NORSE:B881:EXCH]; 'Chuong Nguyen';
megaco
Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

Hi All,
Another suggestion. Why cant the SDP be extended to incorporate a TOS
parameter/attribute so that all the protocols(SIP,Megaco,MGCP) that use SDP
need not define extra properties/parameter for supporting this.

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Rosen, Brian
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 9:24 AM
To: 'Madhu Babu Brahmanapally'; 'Tom-PT Taylor'; 'Chuong Nguyen';
[email-masked]
Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

I don't agree.  The TOS for a particular stream should be set on that
stream, not
on the MG as a whole.  For example, if I have a multimedia MG, I will want
to set
the priority of voice higher than video, and video higher than normal.  If
I
implement a
Multilevel Pre-emption and Priority scheme, some calls will have higher
priority than
others.  The TOS/frame priority has to be per stream.

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Madhu Babu Brahmanapally [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 9:24 AM
To: 'Rosen, Brian'; 'Tom-PT Taylor'; 'Chuong Nguyen'; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

Hi All,

The default TOS type should be defined on the ROOT termination for the
default TOS used for all media packets generated from the MG. There should
be a method (might be through some property) of specifying stream level TOS
bits.

I'm interested to work on RSVP.

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Rosen, Brian
Sent: Tuesday, May 08, 2001 8:10 AM
To: 'Tom-PT Taylor'; 'Chuong Nguyen'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

TOS should not be ignored at the edge router if the router is configured to
enable DiffServ.

It would be pretty simple to create one package that had the appropriate
controls for
DiffServ and 802.1p.  RSVP needs it's own package because there is
messaging,
and you at least an event or two

The former could be an enumeration: QosMarking, that had values None, TOS
and
FramePriority, plus another integer, Value.  That would suffice I think,
although you
could conceivably get more clever with DiffServ.

Shall I write something up along those lines?

RSVP takes some more work.  Any volunteers?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom-PT Taylor [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 9:15 PM
To: 'Chuong Nguyen'; [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: IP Type of Service

No such package has yet been defined.

Various QOS architectures can be imagined.  Each would give rise to its own
package, since the MGC-MG information flow would differ from one
architecture to the next.  One question: unless the MG is itself the edge
router, won't the ToS be ignored when the media packets reach the latter?

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuong Nguyen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 5:14 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: IP Type of Service

All

In MGCP, MGC can specify IP Type of Service to the MG.
Do we have an equivalent in Megaco?

Is there or has anyone defined a package for IP Type of Service?

Thanks
Chuong

--

  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]

  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613

  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****

---

From: Christian Groves <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 15:40:55 +1000

I think that any work on QoS parameters should be aligned with the work
occuring in ETSI Tiphon, ITU SG16, ITU SG11 etc. There's been a
considerable amount of effort in trying to come up with common
parameters for QoS. Any solution should tap into this.

Cheers, Christian

"Petros N. Mouchtaris" wrote:
>   ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>                Name: att1.htm
>    att1.htm    Type: Hypertext Markup Language (text/html)
>            Encoding: base64