Subject: TCP + RFC1006

From: Chuong Nguyen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2001 10:23:12 -0500

Tom

Can I get an understanding of how RFC works?

Megaco RFC3015 specifies the use of TCP+RFC1006.

If I go to the IETF.org and try to get RFC1006, it is not available any
more.
(I was able to get it last year.)

The IETF index page shows the following:

1006 ISO transport services on top of the TCP: Version 3. M.T. Rose,
     D.E. Cass. May-01-1987. (Format: TXT=31935 bytes) (Obsoletes
RFC0983)
     (Updated by RFC2126) (Also STD0035) (Status: STANDARD)

2126 ISO Transport Service on top of TCP (ITOT). Y. Pouffary, A.
     Young. March 1997. (Format: TXT=51032 bytes) (Updates RFC1006)
     (Status: PROPOSED STANDARD)

Now the questions are:

1) Did RFC2126 supersed RFC1006?
2) If yes, how does it affect Megaco RFC3015?

3) Does Megaco implementation automatically go w/the latest RFC that
replaces RFC1006?

4) If Megaco implementation has to stick w/RFC1006, how does one get a
copy of it?

5) Is there an IETF understanding if an RFC (say RFCa) references
another RFC (say RFCb),
     implementator of RFCa will have to always upgrade their
implementation if RFCb was
     obsoleted by a newer RFC?

     I see ITU H.248 also reference IETF RFC.  So what does ITU
understanding of how
     obsolete RFC affect ITU implementation?

Personally I think we ought to remove TCP from Megaco.

Thanks
Chuong

--
  Alcatel USA, Inc             Internet: [email-masked]
  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075           Phone:    (972) 519-4613
  **** The opinions expressed are not those of Alcatel USA, Inc ****

---

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 12:11:18 -0400 (EDT)

> If I go to the IETF.org and try to get RFC1006, it is not available any

you might want to try again - RFCs once published are available forever
(or as close to it as we can deal with)

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1006.txt

Scott

---

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 12:50:17 -0400

Okay, I understand your problem.  Try it again, and SCROLL DOWN.
 
For whatever reason, there is a bunch of CRLFs before the text starts on
this document!!!
 
Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Chuong Nguyen [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 12:10 PM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: TCP + RFC1006

Thanks 

I couldn't get it from your link. 
But I was able to get via STD35 via an internal archive. 

I was trying to get it from http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html
<http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html>  which just give me a blank page. 

"Rosen, Brian" wrote: 

Worked for me: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1006.txt
<ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1006.txt> also known as STD35RFCs are never
"removed", they are all around.  They get superceded.The part we care about
(TPKT) wasn't touched by 2126.You DON'T get an automatic upgrade when your
reference changes.Brian 

-----Original Message----- 
From: Chuong Nguyen [ mailto:[email-masked]
<mailto:[email-masked]> ] 
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 11:23 AM 
To: [email-masked]' 
Subject: TCP + RFC1006
Tom 

1006 ISO transport services on top of the TCP: Version 3. M.T. Rose, 
     D.E. Cass. May-01-1987. (Format: TXT=31935 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC0983) 
     (Updated by RFC2126) (Also STD0035) (Status: STANDARD) 

Now the questions are: 

4) If Megaco implementation has to stick w/RFC1006, how does one get a copy
of it? 

5) Is there an IETF understanding if an RFC (say RFCa) references another
RFC (say RFCb), 
     implementator of RFCa will have to always upgrade their implementation
if RFCb was 
     obsoleted by a newer RFC? 

Thanks 
Chuong 

-- 

--