Subject: [Megaco] How does H.323 work with MGCP or Megaco?

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:02:49 -0800

Hi:

This might be a stupid question for most of you here, but I couldn't
figured that out yet .....

When I have an H.323 terminal calling to another, say Netmeeting, the
H.245 procedures (OLC) set up the RTP channels between the 2 terminals.

However, when H.323 is used in a MGC, the MGC employs MGCP or Megaco to
setup the RTP channels in the MGs.  Is H.245 used in this case?  If so,
how can I make the MGC know whether it needs to setup the RTP channel
for the MG or the terminal?

What is the difference, in terms of H.225 and H.245 procedures, when
MGCP (or Megaco) is used and when it's not used?

Thanks very much in advance,

Patrick.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:47:18 -0800

Actually, to simplify my question a bit, does MGC do H.245?  Or does it
only do H.225 to setup the call, and then use MGCP or Megaco to setup the
RTP channel with the MG?

If it's the former case, how does the MGCP (or Megaco) interact with
H.245?  If it's the later case, how does the MGCs exchange capabilities?

Patrick.

---

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 12:47:18 -0800

Patrick.

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:24:00 -0500

HI Pat,
Yes, the MGC should do all the H.323 signaling with the H.323 Endpoint. I
mean both H.225 and H.245. The MGC will map the H.245 OLC information to the
local and remote descriptors. The MGC will talk to the 323 terminal in H.225
and H.245 and in MEGACO or MGCP towards the MG.

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Patrick Lam
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 3:47 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] How does H.323 work with MGCP or Megaco?

Patrick.

---

From: "Madhu Babu Brahmanapally" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:24:00 -0500

HI Pat,

Regards
Madhubabu

-----Original Message-----

Patrick.