Subject: RE: [Megaco] How does H.323 work with MGCP or Megaco?

From: "Tom-PT Taylor" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 16:10:57 -0500

Assuming the MG supports either MGCP or Megaco with text encoding, you end
up having to do a translation between H.245 and SDP.  In the capability
exchange phase, the MGC may use capabilities gleaned via an AuditCapability
request.  OpenLogicalChannel has to be mapped into the appropriate Local
and/or Remote descriptor content.

-----Original Message-----
From: Patrick Lam [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 3:03 PM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [Megaco] How does H.323 work with MGCP or Megaco?

Hi:

This might be a stupid question for most of you here, but I couldn't
figured that out yet .....

When I have an H.323 terminal calling to another, say Netmeeting, the
H.245 procedures (OLC) set up the RTP channels between the 2 terminals.

However, when H.323 is used in a MGC, the MGC employs MGCP or Megaco to
setup the RTP channels in the MGs.  Is H.245 used in this case?  If so,
how can I make the MGC know whether it needs to setup the RTP channel
for the MG or the terminal?

What is the difference, in terms of H.225 and H.245 procedures, when
MGCP (or Megaco) is used and when it's not used?

Thanks very much in advance,

Patrick.

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:21:24 -0800

Thanks a lot.

Can the MGC not use H.245 though?

What I am thinking is to setup the call using H.225, and use MGCP or Megaco to
setup the RTP channel with the MG?  Does this make sense at all?  Is this
possible?

Thanks very much again,

Patrick.

---

From: "Patrick Lam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 13:21:24 -0800

Thanks a lot.

Thanks very much again,

Patrick.