Subject: Re: [Megaco] Service Change Question

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:16:47 +0530

Hi

The MG should look into the service change reason sent in Service change request
from MGC to gauge the severity of change in the states of the calls currently
active. If for eg., MGC sends reason 901, which indicates that the MGC has
deleted all the calls at its end. The MG in this case is obliged to delete the
calls at its end also.

Regards
Vivek
Hughes Software Systems

Mike Huang <[email-masked]> on 01/17/2002 02:56:14 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Vivek Bansal/HSS)

Subject:  [Megaco] Service Change Question

Hello,

I was wondering for ServiceChange, does the MGC have the ability to ask the
MG for a ServiceChange with a specific ServiceChangeReason.  For example, if
I am a MGC and want to initate a ServiceChange with reason 901 to the MG
regardless of the actual state of the MG, should the MG allow this to happen
even though it is contrary to the actual state of the system?

Thanks,
Mike

---

From: Mike Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:30:28 -0600

Vivek,

I agree with you statement below, but what if a MGC decides to ask for
ServiceChange request of 901 repeatedly?  Is the MG is obligated to respond
back everytime?  Let's say that the MGC asks for a 901 from the MG, the MG
has responded once already and it is being asked for another 901.  Should
the MG decide whether or not this is valid or should the MG honor the
request?

Thanks,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 9:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Service Change Question

Hi

The MG should look into the service change reason sent in Service change
request
from MGC to gauge the severity of change in the states of the calls
currently
active. If for eg., MGC sends reason 901, which indicates that the MGC has
deleted all the calls at its end. The MG in this case is obliged to delete
the
calls at its end also.

Regards
Vivek
Hughes Software Systems

To:   [email-masked]

Hello,

Thanks,
Mike

_______________________________________________
Megaco mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/megaco

---

From: Mike Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:30:28 -0600

Vivek,

Thanks,
Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 9:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Megaco] Service Change Question

Hi

Regards
Vivek
Hughes Software Systems

To:   [email-masked]

Hello,

Thanks,
Mike